PDA

View Full Version : Is My Steel 9mm Die Neck Sizing

ArrowJ
03-13-2016, 06:23 AM
So the ring in my Hornady carbide die started moving up and down. I sent an email to them, and have switched to my Redding steel die. While the carbide die leaves a small portion of the case unsized and the "ring" at the bottom, the Redding die sizes even less of the case and leaves the top visibly smaller than almost ⅔ of the case. I put the die to the shell holder and then a tiny bit more before I tightened it down. Normal?

chevyiron420
03-13-2016, 01:19 PM
With the very little work I have done with the 9mm I found the carbide dies over size the middle, to lower part of the case. My steel dies reproduce the factory taper of the luger case.

ArrowJ
03-13-2016, 01:30 PM
That may be accurate by the time I seat a bullet. At present I would not call it a taper exactly. I am actually enjoying the steel die more in spite of the lube. It is easier to run the brass through lubed. Thanks.

Char-Gar
03-13-2016, 02:00 PM
So the ring in my Hornady carbide die started moving up and down. I sent an email to them, and have switched to my Redding steel die. While the carbide die leaves a small portion of the case unsized and the "ring" at the bottom, the Redding die sizes even less of the case and leaves the top visibly smaller than almost ⅔ of the case. I put the die to the shell holder and then a tiny bit more before I tightened it down. Normal?

Normal..