PDA

View Full Version : WACA Cody Show

TXGunNut
03-13-2016, 12:58 AM
As I mentioned elsewhere I'm planning on making the Winchester Arms Collectors' show in Cody this summer. Kinda new to collecting Winchesters and have a lot to learn. Looking forward to meeting a few folks from the WACA (and Cast Boolit) forum and other folks as well. Planning a day at the Cody museum as well, may be leaving my first levergun there. Sharps collectors will be there as well, stopping in Raton on the way up so I'll likely have one of those along as well.
Anybody else planning on making the show?

square butte
03-13-2016, 08:57 AM
No - But I wish I were. Have been to the museum a couple of times - Last time with Buckwheatpaul. Always wanted to go to the show. We go back about half a hundred years or so. Both of us from your neighborhood, except I live in VT now. Try the drive over Ten Sleep pass coming or going. You will enjoy the scenery. Thermopolis if you enjoy hot springs

TXGunNut
03-13-2016, 08:13 PM
I think I could easily spend a month or two wandering around Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. Then a month or two in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. Guess I better start taking better care of myself so I can be in shape to do some travelling when I retire.

salvadore
03-14-2016, 03:19 AM
Went to the Colt exhibit there in 2003, you'll love it. Buy some posters if they are offered, really dresses up a gun room. I hate auto correct.

Scharfschuetze
03-16-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm going to be in Wyoming the first week of April for family reunion and to nephew off to Afghanistan and then possibly the end of April for a turkey hunt. I don't think I'll be there over the dates of the show unfortunately.

Enjoy Cody. It's a fun place with a lot to see. My old stomping grounds in my youth was in Fremont County and I still have relatives there.

TXGunNut
03-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Sharf. A family reunion is what took me up that way for the first time in 2007, enjoy the family time. It seems my second trip was only a few weeks ago but it was actually last fall. Wyoming is beautiful in the fall.....and rooms at the Irma a heck of a lot cheaper! My biggest regret on my last trip was that the Browning exhibit was being renovated and not available for viewing. Someday I'll make it over to Ogden and see the Browning Armory but that will have to wait for another year.
My shooting buddy has hunted quite bit in Wyoming and has been to Cody a time or two...but it's been awhile. Sometimes when we go to the range it looks like we robbed a museum with the old Winchesters we drag out to shoot. He's into his 70's and is having a ball shooting the guns that have been on display in his home for decades. Between the two of us we have over a dozen pre-war Winchesters, several over 100 yrs old.
Come to think of it, if weather permits and some ammo and a tang sight co-operate my 99 yr old 1873 is headed back to the range this weekend. :-)

smokeywolf
03-18-2016, 11:00 PM
"Between the two of us we have over a dozen pre-war Winchesters"

Which war?:grin:

Been almost 50 years since I've been in Cody. Had to go to Cheyenne about 35 years ago (on the train) and had a layover in Ogden on the way back.
Would love to spend a couple of days going thru the BBHC.

TXGunNut
03-19-2016, 02:14 AM
The big one, of course. ;-) Most of mine were built after WWI but a handful were before.
It's hard to absorb BBHC in one day, probably impossible. I did quite a bit of reading and studying after my first trip. My first day there on my most recent trip I spent the entire morning in the basement staring and scribbling notes. Security guys took notice, chatted with one of them just before I took a break for lunch. I have recently learned George Madis spent days examining these same rifles.
The western art museum was probably better several years ago. I think some of the big name pieces have moved on but I was mostly there for the Remington and Russell pieces. The natural history and other museums, including the Buffalo Bill museum, are worth a walk-thru as well. As noted above, it's best to schedule at least two days for an initial trip.
If you're lucky you can meet the curator, Ashley Hlebinsky. She's one sharp young lady and I think she'll make the firearms museum an attraction worth seeing for years to come. While you're in the basement stop in and say "hi" to Jessica Bennett, she's the lady who writes those prized Winchester letters these days. Amazing person, I need to send her a few serial numbers, lol. I got to see the digitized records she bases her letters and research on, truly remarkable. She's a WACA member and will likely be at the show.

Scharfschuetze
03-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Someday I'll make it over to Ogden and see the Browning Armory

Well worth the visit. Back in the mid 90s I was on a temporary assignment at the Tuilla Army Depot and I had a chance to drive up to Ogdon to visit the Browning Museum. I'm sure that it has expanded quite a bit by now. If you like military aeroplanes, then plan to visit the Hill Air Force Base Museum south of Ogdon. It's right off of I-15 and is almost the equal of the main USAF Museum in Ohio.

When you're at the museum in Cody, take a look at the large bronze statue of Sacagawea (guide for Lewis & Clark) out front. It was designed and sculpted by a good friend and shooting buddy of mine. A lot of old rifle brass went into the bronze mix for that statue.

smokeywolf
03-19-2016, 11:59 PM
I've spoken with Ms. Bennett a couple of times on the phone and had the pleasure of speaking with Herb Houze a time or two while trying to hunt down provenance on a rare Winchester.

I've spoken with firearms historians at Cody, the Gene Autry Museum, the NRA Museum and even the Smithsonian, and never have I been brushed off or felt as though my problem or question was not important. All the people with whom I've had contact have been generous with their time and their knowledge and been just down right friendly.

TXGunNut
03-20-2016, 12:49 AM
I'll take another look at that bronze, Sharf. For some reason I didn't take a good look at it last fall. My shooting buddy was a B-52 pilot so maybe I can talk him into a trip to Ogden next year. Not totally sure he has a kitchen pass for this trip but will hope for the best, lol.