PDA

View Full Version : Need lubrisizer recommendations

Js-Shot
03-13-2016, 12:47 AM
I have been reading reviews on midway, some love the Lyman 4500 and some can't stand it, same with all the others, have been casting little over a year and have been lubing with a 90/10 mixture of beeswax and lithium grease, works,just messy.
I'm new to a lubrisizer and have some reservations about jumping in without getting some advice here

fryboy
03-13-2016, 01:01 AM
so ...what kind of advice are you looking for ???
perhaps i should ask what kind of sizing/swaging and lubing are you doing ? mostly pistols ? rifles ? hard sizing ? barely sizing ? the better we know your needs the better of an opinion we can suggest [shrugz]
from the sounds of it your lube is hard ( most run 50/50 or 60-ish/40-ish ) if it is hard then you'll need a heater , the 4500 has a hole for one , the others need a heated base
my personal preference is the lyman #45 but .. it isnt the heaviest duty of things , i like the 450 and 4500 ok ( with the newer improved linkage style that's now on the 4500 ) i also prefer the rcbs lam I as opposed to the lamII but ... these are my opinions and for my uses , given normal type sizing and lubing i'm grabbing a #45
to be fair ...the saeco reminds me of the older ideal #1 but stronger ( and it also takes special dies and top punches )

retread
03-13-2016, 01:20 AM
I started out with a Lyman 450. I used most of the standard lubes ( I still use randyrat's TAC=1 and Tac-X when using traditional lubes). Mostly I Powder Coat and use Lee push through sizing dies. They are inexpensive and quick. You also have the option to tumble lube with Lee Alox, White Label, or Ben's liquid lube(BLL). If you want to stay with standard lubes the Lyman or RCBS are fine. The Star is better but you are going to pay for it and keep on paying as your caliber collection increases.

StuBach
03-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Agree with Fryboy, the Lyman 45 is a nice little unit that is easy to use and you can find them relatively cheap at shows and whatnot. I upgraded mine to a new series 4500 though because the linkage makes for much easier motion. What my wife couldn't do at all on the 45 is easy for her on the 4500 (.360 down to .355).

If your looking to do it the easiest though, go with the Star. Mine has a broken lube cam so I can't use that feature but sizing my PCs it's easy and quick. Looking to send mine to Magma then I don't have to worry about lube getting on the bases like I seem to experience with the Lyman products.

Wayne Smith
03-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Between the Lyman and the RCBS go with the RCBS. It is a slightly stouter unit, more sensible threads, and the company is unbeatable when you do break something.

lightman
03-13-2016, 10:18 AM
I've used a Lyman 450 forever. The linkage is a little wimpy if you are sizing hard bullets. The RCBS units that I've seen have stouter linkage. The Star, whether the original or the one from Magma is the Holy Grail. They are a little harder to adjust but are faster. They have all kinds of options to make them even faster. They are also more expensive.

Bored1
03-13-2016, 10:25 AM
I have a Lyman 45 and a RCBS LAM II. The difference in using them is amazing! The lyman is a bit slower and a bit more awkward for me. However, they both work. The only reason I have the rcbs is that I got a ridiculous deal, someone just didnt know what it was and donated it to a coporate thrift store who priced it @ 9.99. Add flat rate shipping to it, to have rcbs take a look at it and I ended up with a brand new unit. I have also used the lee push thru sizers and for simplicity of use they have everyone beat! Tumble lubing is as easy as it gets, and the most inexpensive. I have no experience with a star, but have heard nothing but praise about them. If I was gonna only have one way again, I think I would start with the lee since it so cheap and easy to do. Tumble lubing will work with normal lube profile bullets also.

Js-Shot
03-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Sorry, should have been more specific, water drop on the boolits so will be a little hard, want to be able to do mostly hand gun from 9mm to 45lc maybe some rifle in the future, looking at 30-30, 7.62x39 .
I would like to be able to attach gas checks as well, was thinking of rcbs, even though a little more expensive and needs a separate heater

stillhere
03-13-2016, 10:39 AM
If I wasn't invested in the SAECO unit, I'd spring for the Star. However, the SAECO is sturdy unit and nobody has ever broken a linkage as far as a I know.

As far as lube goes, well, there's a million recipes and they're all messy. I've been using a lube recommended by Glenn Fryxell, which is 50/50 beeswax/Sta-Lube Moly-Graph (3330), plus a splash of Castor Oil.
The exact proportions I use depend mostly on the consistency I'm after.

fryboy
03-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Just so you know hardened boolits are best done ASAP ermm also add easiest to do ,you can slow the hardening down a day or few by putting them in the freezer ,if nothing else no matter the method used it does make the effort required easier

marlin39a
03-13-2016, 12:21 PM
My first was a Lyman 450 purchased new in 1977. Now rests on on Lyman heater and filled with white label carnauba red. It has never disappointed.

Mk42gunner
03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
I like the RCBS Lubamatic over the Lyman 450, but I have never bought a brand new lubrisizer. The RCBS came from ebay some time about 2003, when you could still get good deals there. The two 450's I have; one came from a gun show for $20.00 (gray with the bent bicycle type handle), the other (newer orange with the updated handle and base heater) came from an estate auction for $7.50.

Sometimes you get lucky and no one else has any idea what a fairly expensive item is, so it goes for stupid cheap money.

My recommendation is to haunt the swapping and selling section, lubrisizers show up there quite often for way less than a new one costs. Lyman dies are usually less expensive to buy new than the RCBS ones.

Robert

Le Loup Solitaire
03-13-2016, 09:28 PM
I've been using a couple of Saecos for several decades now and they have served me well with no problems. The sizing dies have always been expensive and the top punches as well. I had an adapter made that allows the use of Lyman and RCBS top punches which are more economical. The units are sturdy and well made and I like the fact that solid stick lube can be used. Nothing ever leaked so far or wore out. LLS

C.F.Plinker
03-13-2016, 10:00 PM
I've got a 450 and a LAM II. I agree that the LAM II is built a little stouter and the threads are more robust. But the 450 is what stays on the bench because that little ratchet wrench is easier to use than the sliding T handle that the RCBS uses. I use the softer lubes such as Felix, NRA 50/50, Bens Red, Lithi-Bee etc. and have not had to use a heater.

avogunner
03-15-2016, 05:24 PM
My first was a Lyman 450 purchased new in 1977. Now rests on on Lyman heater and filled with white label carnauba red. It has never disappointed.

Same here. I bought a gray 450 second hand around 83 or 84 when I first started casting. It's on a heater filled with carnuba red with a .310 die installed. I have two other Lyman 45's set up for .452 and .358 (filled with BAC and 50/50).

Sure others love the RCBS and of course the Star/Magma is "the best" but you won't be disappointed with a Lyman.

Ed_Shot
03-15-2016, 05:32 PM
+1 for Lyman

Edward
03-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Try the Lee 1st under $30.oo and you size/ lube/ install gas checks and learn what you want and the sell it for $25.00 toward the upgraded sizer you might want !

wistlepig1
03-15-2016, 09:42 PM
I am using a Lachmiller I bought new a few years ago or was it decades ago, I fore get!
It still works just fine and you can use Lyman or the old type RCBS sizer. They are painted blue and most people wouldn't know what is = Cheap. I know I have seen older RCBS sizer that look very much like the Lachmiller. And maybe that is were RCBS got their design---- maybe!

EDG
03-16-2016, 09:16 AM
The orange Lyman 450s have a very sloppy ram.
The gray Lyman 450s have a good snug fit for the ram.

The RCBS lube sizers have the best fitting ram and strongest linkage.

Mike W1
03-16-2016, 05:44 PM
I've got a 450 and a LAM II. I agree that the LAM II is built a little stouter and the threads are more robust. But the 450 is what stays on the bench because that little ratchet wrench is easier to use than the sliding T handle that the RCBS uses. I use the softer lubes such as Felix, NRA 50/50, Bens Red, Lithi-Bee etc. and have not had to use a heater.

An easily done mod with a $1.39 socket lets you use a 1/4" drive ratchet on the RCBS and having had a #45 in the past I think it is nicer than the ratchet you get with the Lyman. JMHO

stag15
03-17-2016, 10:02 PM
I have a Star sizer and a whack of dies, I love that machine

gwpercle
03-18-2016, 07:06 PM
I bought a Lyman 450 about 1969 ....love it, works great, nothing has broken, nothing has been replaced and I'm still using it .
A decent handgun lube is a mix of 3 parts beeswax to 1 part lithium grease. I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky lithium grease. Measure by weight .
Gary

Mal Paso
03-19-2016, 12:38 AM
If you really got the casting bug, shoot a lot, get the star.

I use a version of Glen's Lube. 1/3 Sta-Lube Moly Graph 2/3 Randyrat's Beeswax. It's plenty soft and tacky at room temperature. Never use the heater except a couple minutes if the shop was freezing overnight. I get a good lube star, no lube on recovered boolits. I found Glen's recipe way too soft. It may be differences in beeswax. My 1/3 - 2/3s recipe is a lot softer than any Lyman stick lube.

I mix a batch in a stainless beaker, heat it up and pour it into my 4500.

Like Gary I measure by weight.

Elkins45
03-20-2016, 11:05 AM
I have a 45, 4500 and a LAM2. If I were buying new I would get the RCBS. Stronger and cheaper as well. I haven't gotten around to drilling out a socket to replace the ball handle thingie but I will eventually. I have some old Kmart sockets that I'm willing to part with.

tja6435
03-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Star is so much faster than the Lyman/RCBS/SAECO style of lubesizers. I had 2x 45's with a ton of sizing dies and top punches. I sold both off to fund a new Star from Magma. I bought all my sizing dies from Lathesmith, one of which he spaced the holes perfectly for one of my 3 groove boolits.

Hamish
04-03-2016, 11:06 AM
The orange Lyman 450s have a very sloppy ram.
The gray Lyman 450s have a good snug fit for the ram.

The RCBS lube sizers have the best fitting ram and strongest linkage.

Well now you tell me,,,,,,,,,:groner:. My experience certainly seems to bear this out. (The hard way). With these things, there aren't but a hand full of requirements when it comes to line boring for the ram and die. You would think AMF was in charge at Lyman during the same period they were at Harley Davidson,,,,,,,.

On on the other hand, something that I've not read on this board is someone asking or posting which brand/model has the tightest tolerances and maintains a straight stroke on the bullet among the two stroke lubrisizers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-03-2016, 10:25 PM
SNIP...

On on the other hand, something that I've not read on this board is someone asking or posting which brand/model has the tightest tolerances and maintains a straight stroke on the bullet among the two stroke lubrisizers.
While there isn't a multi-page sticky thread about which is better, there are plenty of threads discussing peoples opinions, and when I've posted about why I have a preference for the 45, there is generally a post that pops up, exclaiming that the 450 has a much better/strong handle and linkage and the 45 is a poor choice.

Now this one goes back a few years, but Gear explains, quite well, the short comings of the 450's design in post #10
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171726-Off-center-sizing-of-Lyman-4500&p=1922557&viewfull=1#post1922557

Lagamor
04-03-2016, 11:25 PM
I'm new to the hobby and I don't know about the other brands, but the Lyman 4500 is difficult to master with small boolits. Currently, I'm lubing 95 grain 9mm Makarov, and will soon be doing 9mm Luger.
Its hard to find the right amount of pressure and heat to keep the TAC-1 flowing to the single lube groove without some type of excess on the boolits or die. I don't mind some, but I spend a lot of time wiping off the die or the boolits. Much slower production than I anticipated, and little pieces of lube seem to get everywhere on the floor and my bench. It's frustrating.

I load a thousand rounds per month for myself and a friend, and I regret not getting the Star/Magma. It's only $100ish more.

toallmy
04-04-2016, 08:31 AM
About a year ago I started out pan lubing with a cake cutter , then lee sizing kit with tumble lube , then tried pc . After getting everything covered in lube and making a mess I got mad and ordered a magma lubesizer , I am now in a happy place with lube sizing I don't even think about it . Just watch your fingers . I watched auction sights for months for a used lube sized and at the price I just decided to get a new one out of frustration . The wife's happy to no mess or finding pots and pans covered in slime , or hearing bursts of profanity in the basement . 350.00 Seams high but I forgot the price as soon as I used it the first time . I understand you do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do but it's nice .

Hamish
04-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Now this one goes back a few years, but Gear explains, quite well, the short comings of the 450's design in post #10
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171726-Off-center-sizing-of-Lyman-4500&p=1922557&viewfull=1#post1922557

Clear, concise, and 100% correct.

I guess I'm in the market for a LNIB 45,,,,,,,,,,,

fryboy
04-04-2016, 11:16 AM
He just sold one amigo ... It may if been better than lnib - it may of actually been never used ... I wished I had the cash for it at the time ...it would of looked great sitting beside it's slightly newer brand spanking new #45 gen II ( of course it would of been just like it's brother ...sitting there collecting dust on the box but meh lolz )

robg
04-04-2016, 11:57 AM
I used a lubresizer at first but found it eaiser to tumble lube and use Lee push through sizers.works for me ,I like to keep things simple and I'm a tightwad.

toallmy
04-04-2016, 04:03 PM
If it works , it works no mater how you do it .

hockeynick39
04-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Bought the Lyman 4500 and it works like a champ for me!

fng
04-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Well I figure the best way to go is top quality for bottom dollar.
Just bought 2 more nice Stars, w/dies, the man was asking $200 total.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm still kinda new at this, but I'm learning.

stubbicatt
04-08-2016, 03:25 AM
I have owned and used the orange Lyman, the grey Lyman, and a San Diego Star lubesizer. Each has its features. The orange Lyman was the worst one I used. I still use the Star for my 357s and 45s, but for my 30 WCF I heat lube, and dip boolits in lube, and then run them through the Lee sizer. Works fine for me. Just keep the excess lube wiped off and get busy.