PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli hawken stock design

54bore
03-13-2016, 12:40 AM

54bore
03-13-2016, 12:47 AM
Idaho Ron, the butt of this pedersoli traditional hawken stock looks ALOT like your rifles! I'm not trying to open a can of worms over stock design, but as quick as I seen this rifle I thought of Ron and the butt stock debate that when on a month or more ago

Lead Fred
03-13-2016, 02:27 AM
None of their stuff is remotely historical

idahoron
03-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Idaho Ron, the butt of this pedersoli traditional hawken stock looks ALOT like your rifles! I'm not trying to open a can of worms over stock design, but as quick as I seen this rifle I thought of Ron and the butt stock debate that when on a month or more ago

Ya it does. That is a good looking rifle. I had mine made to specifications that I wanted for the style of shooting that I do. I have even had a couple shotguns altered like that to match the style of wing shooting I do.
I would love to shoot one of those guns to see how it felt to me.

idahoron
03-13-2016, 11:08 AM
None of their stuff is remotely historical

I guess that only matters if you are a HC/PC person that gets his kicks out of playing mountain man at the camp fire at Rendezvous. A lot of us like hunting with a more traditional looking rifle with no regard of PC/HC and the silliness that goes along with that. I get tired of guys playing the HC/PC card. It truly is silly to even bring it up on a shooting and hunting forum like this one.
This rifle I put together is a HC/PC idahoron Rifle. :bigsmyl2:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

bubba.50
03-13-2016, 11:36 AM
I think I'd hafta take a can of Rustoleum Flat Black to that shiny barrel but, other than that I wouldn't change a thing about yer gun. looks awesome.

idahoron
03-13-2016, 11:59 AM
By the time they can see the shiny barrel, they are in range and in trouble. [smilie=w:

bubba.50
03-13-2016, 12:22 PM
[smilie=l: game-spookin' wouldn't be my concern. just a personal thing. I like shiny pistoles but rifles not so much. but I do like your guns & the way they're set-up.

johnson1942
03-13-2016, 12:35 PM
a lot of early spring field conversions in the old days had no blueing on them. just saw one that was as if brand new in perfect condition at the fur traders museum in 50/70. not a speck of blueing on it. also ive posted several times the guns from the gold rush days ive seen in collections up around deadwood had no schools at all to them. non at all. many had shotgun type butt plate. for the most part they were well made guns from scrapped guns and really a missmass mixed up type. some people knock the thompson hawken for not being traditional. the back sight wasnt but if your into schools it was 100 percent from the michigan gun smith school. to me a muzzle loader is this. a gun that you put the projectile down the muzzle on to the powder, it does not self load. i had a nice lyman hawken type and that curved butt plate was murder, took it off and cut the butt flat and put a shot gun butt plate on it with a leather slip over pad over that. now it is a gun to enjoy and my 2nd son really likes it as i gave it to him. the taxidermist who does all the mounted horns for my son has a muzzle loader like the one in the picture. he takes a nice deer every year on his own property. i would feel very very i dont know what if i told him his gun wasnt proper of the right school. he would think i was nuts. lets have fun and share info, teach and learn and share.

54bore
03-13-2016, 02:53 PM
I guess that only matters if you are a HC/PC person that gets his kicks out of playing mountain man at the camp fire at Rendezvous. A lot of us like hunting with a more traditional looking rifle with no regard of PC/HC and the silliness that goes along with that. I get tired of guys playing the HC/PC card. It truly is silly to even bring it up on a shooting and hunting forum like this one.
This rifle I put together is a HC/PC idahoron Rifle. :bigsmyl2:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

I fully agree Ron! The rifle you have pictured here is EXACTLY what I would like to build, from what I see on green mountain barrels I am out of luck? I'd like to find a fast twist 30-32 inch green mountain barrel in .50 or .54 cal and make a long range rifle, my goal is to be able to consistently hit 300 yard targets, I personally would not shoot at game that far away, but I'd like to have the equipment that's capable of doing so if a bad situation arose, I have the sight system down, I just don't think I can get there from here with maxi balls, true muzzleloader type bullets? Living in elk country I'd like to stay with a .50 cal minimum since it's the law here for elk, and go with a paper patch and sized bullet, the problem I see in .54 cal is you would have to shoot a 800 grain bullet to get any BC to speak of. I'm thinking .50 cal with that S&W 500 bullet paper patched and sized. Anyone know of a barrel manufacturer that does a fast twist? I have zero interest in shooting PRB

nicholst55
03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
a lot of early spring field conversions in the old days had no blueing on them. just saw one that was as if brand new in perfect condition at the fur traders museum in 50/70. not a speck of blueing on it.

The militarys of the world called that lack of finish 'armory bright.' Imagine being some poor, illiterate conscript, campaigning in the wilds, shooting black powder, and trying to keep that rifle from rusting!

bubba.50
03-13-2016, 03:37 PM
it wouldn't be exactly the same 54bore but, you could get a fast-twist Great Plains Hunter barrel & have a lug dovetailed on it to fit it to yer T/C stock. it will already fit the tang with little or no modification.

54bore
03-13-2016, 10:27 PM
it wouldn't be exactly the same 54bore but, you could get a fast-twist Great Plains Hunter barrel & have a lug dovetailed on it to fit it to yer T/C stock. it will already fit the tang with little or no modification.

Thanks bubba.50, you got me thinking! I dont own a .50 caliber, maybe i need the whole rifle? Lyman makes a 57 peep specifically to fit the great plains 57GPR. The best deal I found on these barrels was at midsouth shooters suppy for just under 250.00

54bore
03-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Another thing that has me thinking is this .58 cal cabelas hawken i just recently picked up, its built by investarm, if i understand correctly lyman rifles are built by investarm? I wonder what the chances are of a great plains hunter barrel fitting without any modification? The barrel on this cabelas hawken is 15/16 flat to flat

bubba.50
03-13-2016, 10:54 PM
I was gonna say they have about the best price on complete guns too but, looks like the Hunters have took a pretty big leap in cost since the last time I looked.

idahoron
03-13-2016, 11:18 PM
If your looking for a "far speaker" in a 45 johnson 1942 has one that his thinking about selling.

johnson1942
03-14-2016, 12:05 AM
im buffing the stock out now and when that is done its going up for sale. will take deer and antelope or with a tangmounted sight do a 1000 yards.

54bore
03-14-2016, 12:21 AM
im buffing the stock out now and when that is done its going up for sale. will take deer and antelope or with a tangmounted sight do a 1000 yards.

This sounds like a dandy and i appreciate the heads up! My hangup with a 45 cal is i cant legally hunt elk here in idaho with it, its .50 cal minimum here for elk, all i could really do is hunt targets with it, my future goal is a .50 or .54, preferably just a barrel for my renegade, and then come up with a bullet i can paper patch.

54bore
03-14-2016, 01:46 AM
I see a few .50 and .54 cal green mountain LRH barrels on ebay in the 300 to 300 plus range, i will eventually bite on one. Hey ron, if you were building a long range rifle in one of these calibers which would you choose? And which bullet mold would you recommend in these calibers for paper patching?

johnson1942
03-14-2016, 10:45 AM
every body is forgetting about the oregon rifle barrel co. i also have a hot rod thompson hawken. my goal was to make a very very traditional looking side lock but a sleeper in power. i bought a really good thompson used hawken and put a 36 inch barrel on it from the oregon rifle barrel co that is a 1/28 twist. i put traditional sights on it. i changed the trigger guard to a ohio type as i like those best for feel and looks. i rubbed the stock out in oil and not varnish to keep it traditional. i but a lot of brass tacks on it very carefully as i predrill the holes before i set them in. the finish on the barrel is a antique looking brown. it looks very traditional. i shoot a 535 grain single wrap paperpatched bullet in it with 80 grains of powder behind the bullet and it is a tack driver. recoil is not bad at all do to the bigger bore and weight of the gun. im only 5 foot 7 and it off hand shoots very easy. do the same as i and get a barrel made by the oregon rifle barrel co. i have another off hand gun 45 with a 1/30 twist and the barrel is made by them. it shoots a 335 grain pp bullet perfect every time. i sold not too long ago a side lock to a hunter who wanted to hunt elk in idaho. it was a 1/23 twist and shoots a 686 grain pp bullet at 1200 ft per second with only 70 grains of powder behind it. very very accurate also. you could build you gun from the ground up or buy a thomson minus the barrel and have the oregon rifle barrel co make you one. finding thompson breech plugs is getting harder. my 16 year old son says he wont be muzzleloading hunting any more so he gave me his custom 50 cal inline i had built for him. it is a 1/32 twist. ive sighted it in for a 500 grain pp bullet with 90 grain of powder behind it and may just get lazy and hunt with that next season. i have to admit at my age the idea of a scope is appealing. non of this is rocket science and again the oregon rifle barrel co. has built me some good barrels and one thing for sure. when you tell them a 50 cal it is not under or over a 50 cal it is a 50 cal. also as far as long range shooting i helped some one who doesnt belong to cast bullets develop a bullet for his 1/20 twist modern bolt action remington muzzleloader. he shoots at 500 yards and wins everything. with black horn 209 powder he gets over 2000 ft. per second. it be to get a thomson breech plug now you will have to get a old barrel of not much value and take it off that. have fun, johnson 1942

54bore
03-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Johnson1942, i cant find any contact info for Oregon rifle barrel? This sounds like a very plausible route to go

Gtek
03-14-2016, 06:09 PM
TRACK OF THE WOLF says "EXPECT 90 DAYS" for plugs. Do not know if it is a real number but I am waiting. $35 bucks hopefully waiting vs. finding/cost of an unknown pooch barrel, oh the agony.

koger
03-14-2016, 07:12 PM
.54 bore, PM sent!

idahoron
03-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Hey ron, if you were building a long range rifle in one of these calibers which would you choose? And which bullet mold would you recommend in these calibers for paper patching?

To be honest I would either do a 50 or a 52, a 54 is not even on the same level. A fast twist 52 would be awesome because if you paper patch a .515 bullet your right there. There are tons of .515 bullets that they use in the 50 cal sharps. There are real good actual 50 cal paper patch bullets too. The Lee 500 S&W bullet is good for a hunting bullet. But if you really wanted to stretch the yardage on targets there are other bullets.

johnson1942
03-14-2016, 09:29 PM
the gun works muzzleloading emporium. they have made me some really good barrel.