PDA

View Full Version : Best ankle holster you have used for a J frame?

pull the trigger
03-12-2016, 04:09 PM
I am thinking on an ankle holster for my snub nose j frame. What did you love and what did you hate? Sneakers and boots. Thanks!!

Greg S
03-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Desantis.

scarry scarney
03-12-2016, 07:31 PM
When wearing boots, look at the G&G bootlock. Works real good for old style GI type combat boots with side zipper.

Curly James
03-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Look at the Telor Tactical website, most comfortable ankle holster I have ever worn.

Mike in Reedley
03-13-2016, 02:02 AM
I've used several over the past 30 years and like Fobus the best. I carry humpback and concealed hammer Js, so a conventional thumb snap would not work. Fobus holsters capture the frame, causing it to snap into place.

Ural Driver
03-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Tried them many years ago but never found one that would not beat my ankle to pieces when running.
Even the smallest gun still hurts when it is pounding on an ankle bone.....

Low Budget Shooter
03-14-2016, 11:17 AM
My best success with an ankle holster came when I gave up on it and put the snubby in my pocket. :)

scarry scarney
03-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Using the G&G boot lock, I have been in foot pursuits and even climbed chain link fence, without loosing the pistol (S&W 432, hammerless). It laces into the boot, and a Velcro strap goes around the ankle. Very secure combination.
http://www.amazon.com/Gould-Goodrich-Ankle-Holster-Backup/dp/B004BIRRD0

Here's a youtube video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTAEgKTDh0

Gunslingerdoc
03-15-2016, 03:07 PM
My best success with an ankle holster came when I gave up on it and put the snubby in my pocket. :)

I second this! Ive tried lots of carry methods over 25 years and an ankle holster is the worse if youre active

FergusonTO35
03-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Desantis Apache is my fave.

OptimusPanda
03-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Desantis leather ankle holster is what I'll put my jframe in from time to time. Very comfy, may be a touch wide but wear the right jeans and it's not a problem.

Rick Hodges
03-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Tried them many years ago but never found one that would not beat my ankle to pieces when running.
Even the smallest gun still hurts when it is pounding on an ankle bone.....

Amen, I can't imagine carrying a J-Frame in an ankle rig. I tried with an OMC Backup 380 auto and gave up. I never tried the lace into combat boots arrangement...

Geezer in NH
03-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Ankle holsters $%#$ Hard to draw uncomfortable I tried for 2 years for a BUG and gave up anything is better IMHO

tazman
03-16-2016, 07:40 PM

I think I would have the same result.
Being overweight, I would have trouble getting to it in any case. I would need it to be easier to reach. I am going to be slow anyway, why make it difficult.

FergusonTO35
03-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Anybody try the Desantis Die Hard with a J frame? I have the Apache for my S&W 637 and, while it works well, it just has a cheapo velcro strap instead of a real thumb break. Drawing from the ankle is already not very fast and that noisy velcro strap is just going to slow it down even more and call attention to the fact that I am drawing. The Die Hard looks to be the same spandex type of ankle band as the Apache but with a standard leather thumb break holster.

More and more I am finding that ankle carry works best for my everyday carry method. I spend alot of time sitting at my desk and driving my car and drawing from the ankle is actually easier and faster for me in these situations. I can carry at work as long as it stays concealed and I have a valid license (which I do), and I find that the ankle holster is easier to keep concealed and doesn't print nearly as much as IWB or pocket carry. Pocket carry is darn near impossible to draw from with any kind of speed while sitting down, and with IWB the pistol bumps into things and I have to make sure my shirt doesn't ride up over it.

rkrcpa
03-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Without question, the Renegade Ankle Holster. Way better than a holster with a thumb snap and just as, if not more, secure.

http://www.thewilderness.com/ankle-holsters/the-wilderness-renegade-ankle-holster-xhd-elastic/