PDA

View Full Version : 1974 vintage 300 Weatherby Magnum

PAT303
03-12-2016, 04:05 AM
One of my mates brought a near new 300WM fitted with a Pecar 4-10x40 scope from a deceased estate.The rifle had fired 3 box's of factory rounds since new as is in perfect condition,he shot it for the first time today and it's been an eye opener.First up I thought the thing was going to kick like a mule and the muzzle blast was going to set the grass on fire in front of us but I was wrong on both counts,it's easier to shoot than a lightweight 270 sporter I shot last weekend and has less muzzle blast than my mates muzzle braked 308.Second surprise was the accuracy,we had no trouble getting the bullet holes touching at 100,we did only fire 3 shot groups and then let it cool down but three shots under and 1'',usually with two touching and then putting 6 into 1-1/2,three factory loads with three hand loads with two different shooters is incredible,the rifle is factory stock,no bedding,no trigger job,nothing.The quality of this rifle is above any American rifle I've ever fired,the 40 year old factory ammunition fired perfectly,the 40 year old Pecar scope is crystal clear,being able to clearly see the holes at 100 is pretty nice,the Germans know how to make glass,I'd go as far to say it wasn't bettered by the brand new 12x Leopold I looked through as a comparison.All up today was one of those really good days at the range,hoped you liked me sharing it with all of you. Pat

pietro
03-12-2016, 07:10 PM

The .300 Weatherby Mag has my admiration, too - ever since I had a Ruger #1 rifle in that chambering.