PDA

View Full Version : Tips I learned for keeping USPS shipping costs down since rate increase

Andy
03-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Jan 2019 update: USPS just changed their price policies a bit for this year, the noteworthy things being the following:
- First class parcels (under 16oz) are now calculated by zone, so its a bit pricer to ship farther away than it used to be. Still always cheaper than small flat rate though.
- Parcel select is now slightly cheaper across the board, but large, lower weight packages will see a significant increase in price since they made a major change to the dimensional weight calc. Large low weight items (wads, hulls) are probably best off to use UPS/fedex now vs parcel select.

March 13th 2016 Update: I rolled this all into a flowchart, see image at bottom.

You can save a lot of money with this, the amounts are not trivial:

- Example 1: If you put a 19lb package in a regional B box (similar size to LFRB) instead of a LFRB, and it is going one or two states over, you will pay about $7 instead of $18.75.

- Example 2: A 10oz item in your own small box will cost about $4 First class vs $6.80 in a SFRB and should arrive just as fast.

I have significantly edited this original post to streamline things for easy reference since it is now a sticky.

I am a novice loader and have gained a lot from this forum. Since I am new to reloading and don't have much to offer in that regard, this is a way I can give back.

Two things are necessary to get the lowest shipping rates possible.
1: Follow this chart to decide what method to use to ship your package
2: Print the label online (see below for details) to qualify for discounted pricing (saves 11-15% on every package

#1: The chart: I made it personally based off my own testing and my intent is that it leads you to the cheapest option in 100% of weights/sizes, 100% of the time including first class and regional rate boxes, over any u.s. distance. If the chart does not yield the lowest price (even for one oddball time) PLEASE let us all know in this thread or PM me and I will update the chart accordingly. As of march 13th, 2016 this is a test run only, but is reasonably well validated at this point. I have done a thorough test, but need more feedback from people in unique circumstances to be sure of my "rules" that I used to create the chart. I want this to be 100% accurate so if you find a false case please let me know! I have not shipped a lot of packages in my life and I'm sure I'm wrong on something here. Let's say it has to be at least 25 cents cheaper for me to update the chart.

#2: Discounted pricing:
- The most important thing I have learned to save money is that you can get discounted parcel shipping rates fairly easily if you have a paypal account, even if the other guy doesn't use paypal and none of the transaction went through paypal. Before the rate increase this january, this used to be available through usps.com, anyone who printed a label there got "commercial" pricing, now that no longer works.

-To get the discounted pricing now, you have to either use a pay-monthly service like stamps.com or create the label through your paypal account. When you're already signed into your normal paypal account, just change the url to /shipnow after the paypal.com part, this lets you create a discounted label to send to anyone you want regardless of whether or not you have an invoice. I don't want to make an actual link since that would look shady so you will have to manually do this yourself once normally signed into your account. I don't know why this isn't a better advertised feature of paypal but it is legitimate and it works. Google it if you are worried about doing it, or read below and see that people have tested it (as well as me), it is ok.

-Here are the savings for discounted vs regular flat rate pricing:
SFRB: Normal:$6.80, Discounted: $6.10
MFRB: Normal:$13.45, Discounted: $11.95, savings of $1.55
LFRB: Normal:$16.35, Discounted: $18.75, savings of $2.40

I hope this helps keep more money in your pockets to blow on reloading expenses!

I will keep this original post updated and will not update other posts I make to this thread, so please keep that in mind if you are viewing files or conflicting info.

bubba.50
03-11-2016, 11:24 PM
dependin' on how persnickety yer postal employee is, you can get two small flatrate boxes in one flatrate padded mailer.

xfoxofshogo
03-11-2016, 11:40 PM
2 lbs in a small dam i pack 25 lbs in them and like 50 or 60 lbs in the MFRB i love shipping lead this way LOL

Andy
03-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Yeah, anytime I buy lead by mail I always envision the post office employees grabbing that tiny SFRB, being surprised by the weight and exclaiming "what did this guy do, fill this full of lead?" And the answer in many cases is yes, that box is nearly 100% occupied with lead ingots.

Good to know on the padded flat rate, my testing only involved the various boxes so there is probably some room for improvement if you have a flexible item that can fit in an envelope (like small brass) and can pack it in a way to not be worried about it coming apart.

mjwcaster
03-11-2016, 11:58 PM
The regional boxes can save a lot, depending on how far the package needs to go. I always check and use them when it saves money.
$6-$8 instead of $12 for mfrb, if the destination is close.

Only downside is you have to order them, while they are free you cannot get them at the local po.
The largest ones turned out to be as/more expensive than standard flat rate so I never shipped with them.
They have made great target backers, just trying to use them up instead of throwing them out.

badbob454
03-12-2016, 12:21 AM
shipping thru paypal will save money too, you will get the discounted rates

dolfinwriter
03-12-2016, 03:09 AM
So I have to ask--did they lift the 13 oz limitation on First Class? If memory serves, it was after 9/11 or after anthrax packages or something in that timeframe is when they implemented a 13 oz. limitation on First Class. I ask if it has been lifted because the other day I was shipping something on Amazon that was 15+ oz, and one option that came up was First Class. That should not have been an option. Now I see this post where Andy is saying ship First class less than a pound.

mjwcaster is right about the regional flat rate boxes. You have to order them online. They are free and shipping them to you is free, but you can ONLY get them from USPS.com. They're called "Regional" because the cost varies by distance. I have used them a number of times for items I've sold on eBay or Amazon to minimize shipping cost. But unless you're some kind of math whiz, it's really bewildering to try to figure out where they're effective and where they're not without some automation. eBay and Amazon have incorporated them into their shipping options, and those options should also be available on USPS.com, but they are not available in PayPal shipping.

edward hogan
03-12-2016, 05:13 AM
Thanks much for the adviso about adding the backslash shipnow to the paypal URL....

Really appreciate your posting this!

BK7saum
03-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Thank you for the info. I was really down on USPS for removing the online discount for shipping. Now I realize what happened and how to be able to get that once again.

Brad

William Yanda
03-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Re: #1, Flat Rate includes $50 insurance at no extra charge. Is First Class plus insurance still cheaper?
Bill

Andy
03-12-2016, 10:25 AM
William: First class plus insurance is probably cheaper for anything smaller than a 1' cube, if I recall right the most you can pay for a 15oz first class package is $4.60 or something, and I think $50 in insurance is $1.50 or so so at best it breaks even with a small flat rate.

Dolphin: First class did change to be allowed at least up to 15 oz and it might also include an exact pound, not sure on that.

Glad I included the paypal info and that it is helpful to you guys, I like using the computer for labels anyway and really like saving $1 or more per package.

Edit: just tested it and the usps.com price calculator does not allow you to select 14-16oz for a first class package BUT they did announce an increase in the first class package limit to 16oz with the recent rate changes. You can create a 16oz first class package in the paypal shipping tool so I think this works but haven't actually done it. So either my info is wrong or usps has not updated their website calculator for that change.

scattershot
03-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks for posting, good info here.

Andy
03-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Made up a chart that explains this better and addresses some errors in my first post, will post later, too sunny to be on the computer right now.

No_1
03-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Andy
03-13-2016, 01:44 AM
mods please delete this post (#15 only) I figured out how to remove the images

Andy
03-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Since this is a sticky now I just did a full revision of my initial post to make it a bit shorter and easier to read, tested out better colors for printing the image and updated that accordingly. Also fixed an error or two in the chart where I didn't have Y/N and arrows in one area.

Edit: I think there is room for improvement in my chart in terms of shipping standard post vs the MFRB and LFRB decision lines but I have not confirmed this. It would be most likely to save you money when you just barely don't make a weight cutoff within the chart for those two trees (MFRB and LFRB lines). Please let me know if you test anything and find the chart to be untrue.

Andy
04-03-2016, 04:22 PM
The "ship standard post" bubble should read "ship standard post or ups/fedex" ups and fedex are usually cheaper in my limited experience once you have to go this route.

For example a large 16lb package about 1200mi away was $32 parcel post and only $20 via ups/fedex.

villagelightsmith
07-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Yeah, anytime I buy lead by mail I always envision the post office employees grabbing that tiny SFRB, being surprised by the weight and exclaiming "what did this guy do, fill this full of lead?"

I let my eyes get real big, lean across the counter, and in a hushed voice full of amazement inform him of The Secret:

"G O L D !"
(followed, of course, by laughter, as I want that lead to arrive!)

pete501
07-07-2016, 07:16 PM
dependin' on how persnickety yer postal employee is, you can get two small flatrate boxes in one flatrate padded mailer.

I mailed 40 pounds of sheet lead in two small flat rate boxed taped together and then doubled wrapped into padded flat rate envelopes and the buyer said the USPS wanted another $22 each and said that the weight was inappropriate for the packaging. The envelope has "One Rate any Weight" printed right on them. The buyer refused the shipment and it is being returned to me. Will I be charged for the return postage?
Oh how I hate the postal service.

Newtire
07-08-2016, 06:45 PM
On 2-separate occasions, I have been charged 5.45 one time and $3.80 the other simply because the seller wrapped tape around the flat rate envelope so it fit squarely around the box one time and once because the label was in the wrong place and required manual scanning. On each occasion, the seller reimbursed me. Likely, taping 2 flat rate boxes together fit the same category.

The 2-25 lb. bags of lead shot in the medium frb gets their attention. Got 250 lbs. one time. They had me come to the post office & pick it up!

Andy
08-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Well guys it's been over 4 months since I wrote that and I've completed a big ebay push selling all the stuff we had been hoarding in the attic and some other things and I can say that over about 60 or so sales/shipments USPS was the cheapest option for about 55 of them.

I don't like the post office's policies on things too much, but they are offering an exceptional value compared to UPS/fedex. Unless the item was under a pound I checked every package usps vs ups/fedex and nearly always usps was the better price. Generally speaking I'm finding that UPS/fedex only win when it can't fit in a flat rate and is large or heavy AND shipping over half the country away.

I think the big companies must get an exceptional rate from ups/fedex when they use them, or they are just easier to deal with professionally than the P.O.. For us little guys the post office generally seems like the way to go for most reloading size items.

Newtire
08-05-2016, 11:09 PM
Gotta agree that USPS is the way to go. Just watch out when you use one of their flat rate envelopes. As long as you leave it loose like an envelope, you're good. Roll it up & tape it & the person on the other end will either be paying postage due or will send it back. I know, I paid the postage for a couple of moulds but got refunded from folks on ebay. But, other than that, have been the best bargain out there.

Black Powder Bill
08-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Agree with Andy.

I started selling on eBay because GunBroker was not getting the hits and sales on items. EBay postage is discounted and if you use your own envelope or bag they are way less expensive to use.

Ebay has also updated their firearms parts policy to the latest executive order on international parts BS. So now you have to find the line and select all the areas you'll not be shipping to in order to have your gun parts listed.

It didn't take Ebay long to get the new executive orders up on shipping .

Attention Sellers:...
Alert
Gun parts, gun accessories, crossbows, throwing knives, and Airsoft equipment and accessories can only be sold on the U.S. eBay website (eBay.com (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2FeBay.com%2F&h=PAQGTol9aAQGUSfo1MUkY5bQZgxvsOcpTlCBqkn-O0SR3vQ&enc=AZOHKk_m_6FE2N9c8nbFZBKA5cbtBQ329kv_RoDImwn73f Adim0XyaXh-2YDM549ozIIZagykt6T6GnRjLDWpw4rlJRa92k5tZmrlkj_1wy R4CVYuwyflLCFSN5rPupsOMrUHT1PpLitHYBF0ugLdmq6YkwMz dyLFERbgIRHiFrfd-ALcTO3cXKPUslgqwNRC8-WC6BpOz3RU-1SgZO1qNTD&s=1)) by sellers located in the United States.
Also, because most night vision goggles, military clothing, breathing apparatuses and military body armor are included on the United States Munitions List, which is part of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) Part 121, you can only list these items for sale within the U.S.
Items found on the ITAR Part 121 list cannot be offered for shipment outside the U.S.
Please edit your listing to offer shipping to the United States only.
Also, please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with our firearms, weapons and knives and our military items policies.
The burden is on you to make sure that items that you list on eBay comply both with applicable laws and with eBay's Military Items policy, and failure to comply with these laws and policies may result in disciplinary action against your eBay account and referral to law enforcement.
Please review our policies and the links to useful information regarding applicable federal regulations and government agency oversight in this area.
Thanks,
eBay

pcmacd
09-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Well guys it's been over 4 months since I wrote that and I've completed a big ebay push selling all the stuff we had been hoarding in the attic and some other things and I can say that over about 60 or so sales/shipments USPS was the cheapest option for about 55 of them.

I don't like the post office's policies on things too much, but they are offering an exceptional value compared to UPS/fedex. Unless the item was under a pound I checked every package usps vs ups/fedex and nearly always usps was the better price. Generally speaking I'm finding that UPS/fedex only win when it can't fit in a flat rate and is large or heavy AND shipping over half the country away.

I think the big companies must get an exceptional rate from ups/fedex when they use them, or they are just easier to deal with professionally than the P.O.. For us little guys the post office generally seems like the way to go for most reloading size items.

I worked for Hewlett Packard and subsequent spinoffs for 25 years.

We shipped EVERYTHING overnight/FEDEX, because we had a deal with them. Shipping regular surface was the same price! You would not believe how much stuff got shipped around the USA every day, from sales office to demo equipment center and back. I routinely received stuff from Malaysia, as some of the gear I supported was manufactured there.

In a single small office it was not unusual to see six or eight hundred pounds, or even 5 times that, of very expensive instruments going various places on a daily basis.

Rompin Ruger
10-04-2016, 09:08 AM
I read this with interest... and have only one tidbit to offer due to ONE personal experience. Our great rural delivery gal was off with back surgery... the twerp sub was a nummie.

I had a friend on the Left Coast send me a DVD in a SFRB, to get the $50 insurance...it never arrived in my mailbox. I filed on it or he did and the bottom line is that their "scanner" is GPS rated, and it said it was scanned at my mail box....

I pointed out that given the long history of screw ups, she could have scanned it there, then drove off and not put it in box!

I / we got no insurance on it. Without a signature, that $50 insurance is as bogus as a politician's promises! :(

kmrra
01-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Dec 13 2016 bought 50 # lead here on the forum, picked up by Post office , scaned should have been ,at my house on the 17th , never showed up , no scans by the post office , emailed seller told him about it , I was not in a hurry or concerned for that fact , the seller is a good guy , . I filed a complaint with the postmaster here , they said they will investigate , after 4 or 5 stupid emails and a week and a half, she appoligizied , and informed me that it never left Las Vegas, NO DUH.... well mean while me and the seller decided to give it till the 2nd of January and see what happens , no big deal.... 2nd came and still nothing contacted the seller like we decided still im in no hurry, no big deal im not mad or anything. Seller sends out 2 more boxes with lead in them on the 3rd of January, 2 days later there at my front gate sitting on the ground , scan said they were left at the gate with someone ,Not True, and boxes were dirty as hell and you could barley read the address or the scan bar..... but they did get here a day early. Morel of the story is the USPS is a **** shoot in my opinion and im sure that the other 2 boxes are in the lost mail because of dirt unreadable labels because there were no further scans on those 2 boxes after the Las Vegas Post office got them , or there was a bullet caster driving the truck that day. LOL

kmrra
01-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Really I can say hell but they wont let me spell C R A P shoot

Rompin Ruger
01-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Filters are what they are... and the admi has to draw lines in the sand...high tide can wash things away, but never make it perfectly safe as a family site...

Sorry for your lead deal... I"m very suspicious of the FRB now after the tale I shared above... free insurance to $50 my behind... they use a digital scanner/reader to say it was put in box sitting there, but the DVD in a SFRB never got in my mailbox... I was in knee replacement rehab last Jan and looked for the mail daily to go out and use my walker, so I really, really doubt someone stopped and swiped what they put in...given the relief driver had a history of delivering my mail elsewhere, reported it 3x to the PO and never resolved it... so now I will be filing a complaint in future with the Postmaster General... wanted to give the locals a chance, but the heck with that!

William Yanda
01-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I find that the Flat Rate Envelope and Legal Size Flat Rate Envelope save $0.35 over the SFRB.

rfd
01-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Example 2: A 10oz item in your own small box will cost about $4 First class vs $6.80 in a SFRB and should arrive just as fast.

problem with that is there is no online first class - it's priority only ... and they know exactly why they're doing that. :twisted:

dddoo7
01-16-2017, 09:43 AM
problem with that is there is no online first class - it's priority only ... and they know exactly why they're doing that. :twisted:

Yes there is. As noted above if you have a PayPal account just log in at

paypal.com/shipnow

It will allow for cheaper priority rates as well as first class and other types of shipping. It doesn't have to be for a PayPal transaction either. Tracking is always included as well.

In my experience...first class is sometimes slower than priority...but not always.

rfd
01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
dang, i did not know that about paypal - excellent info, very much obliged sir! though these dayze i prefer to avoid anything to do with pp.

dddoo7
01-16-2017, 09:56 AM
dang, i did not know that about paypal - excellent info, very much obliged sir! though these dayze i prefer to avoid anything to do with pp.

I understand the feelings about pp, but I see it as a necessary evil. I live out in the sticks and don't want to drive to town to mail a $3 package.

Andy
01-16-2017, 08:41 PM
You can mail up to a 15.9 oz package first class via paypal shipnow or ebay shipping as long as you are under a 12x12x12" cube in size.

As other people have mentioned, the Flat Rate Envelope is a good alternative to the SFRB for certain items that fit and are appropriate to send in an envelope. You can figure any time I said "SFRB" in the flowchart you can apply the same rules to the FRE. It does save $.35 but it protects the item a lot less than the SRRB of course. It is a great way to ship the lee dies that come in the round case.

dddoo7
01-16-2017, 08:46 PM
The PADDED flat rate envelope is the best value in my opinion. It will actually hold two small flat rate boxes (although I don't advocate using usps supplies In that way). I ordered some boxes that are 3x6x8 and they are a perfect fit in the padded envelope and will ship for the same price as a small flat rate box...and since there is a box inside the envelope the item is protected more. If you are not using padded envelopes you should look into it.

Andy
01-16-2017, 10:51 PM
As far as I understand there is only one flat rate envelope and that is the padded one with bubble wrap adhered to the inside. The other priority envelope I have seen is not a flat rate. I could be mistaken though. Thanks for the tip on using your own box inside the flat rate envelope, that's a good idea and gives you more size/protection than the SFRB for a minimum of hassle. Even factoring the box cost it would be very useful for those items that would fit in a 3x6x8 but not in a 1.6x5.4x8.6 (SFRB), that extra 1.4" of width really would come in handy for a variety of items I don't want in just an envelope so I'm going to keep what you mentioned in mind.

I am glad to have everyone posting their own tips to this thread, I am not an expert shipper by any means and I am glad to be learning from the experiences of others.

Andy
01-17-2017, 10:07 AM
I think I may have been wrong in thinking that first class parcels have to be under 12x12x12", not sure where I got that from originally. After doing more reading on the usps website it looks like they can be up to 22"Lx18"wx15" thick, as long as you keep it under a pound. Also called the local postmaster and she agreed with this. Huge savings to be had here on larger lightweight items if this is true, going to try out a few this coming week as a test.

mikeatl
01-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Well it seems USPS went up again . Cost 7.15 for small flat rate box this morning .

Andy
01-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Yeah, rates went especially higher on the first class packages under a pound. 15.9 oz package is now $4.30 vs previously $3.60 for a 20% increase, that one hurts as I find myself using those the most.

FYI the SFRB is only $6.25 if you ship through the paypal/shipnow process and print the label ahead of time from there.

blltsmth
02-03-2017, 12:42 AM
POSTAL INCREASE ON 1-23-2017: LFRB: $17.35 MFRB:$13.60 SFRB: $7.15. DID NOT GET A HEADS UP ON THIS RATE INCREASE LIKE LAST YEAR. WENT TO Print postage an discovered it!!!!

ZmanWakeForest
03-22-2017, 03:52 PM
The PADDED flat rate envelope is the best value in my opinion. It will actually hold two small flat rate boxes (although I don't advocate using usps supplies In that way). I ordered some boxes that are 3x6x8 and they are a perfect fit in the padded envelope and will ship for the same price as a small flat rate box...and since there is a box inside the envelope the item is protected more. If you are not using padded envelopes you should look into it.

These are excellent for more shipping space for the same money. Get them shipped to the house for free as with all the boxes etc. Always a good idea to put the goods inside a tyvex bag or two inside the padded envelope to maximize the protect.

Handloader109
05-20-2017, 10:40 AM
A couple of thing on the envelopes if you guys don't know.... The paper letter size envelopes are flat rate. I don't know if mold would work well in that. The padded letter size is also flat rate but almost no *** keep them in stock. Can order on line. Bit more expensive on shipping. The larger tyvek envelopes are NOT flat rate! They are priority mail as is everything now, but you pay by the weight! Be careful it would be expensive for a mold. Be careful on the envelopes! Yes PayPal is still cheaper. Type in your​ address and use them.

William Yanda
05-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Andy:
There are two flat rate envelopes besides the padded one, one letter size, the other legal size, a little longer. PO's stock only the letter size, the legal size must be ordered from USPS supplies. The Tyvek envelopes are unbreakable in my experience but they are by weight, not flat rate.
Regards
Bill

As far as I understand there is only one flat rate envelope and that is the padded one with bubble wrap adhered to the inside. The other priority envelope I have seen is not a flat rate. I could be mistaken though. Thanks for the tip on using your own box inside the flat rate envelope, that's a good idea and gives you more size/protection than the SFRB for a minimum of hassle. Even factoring the box cost it would be very useful for those items that would fit in a 3x6x8 but not in a 1.6x5.4x8.6 (SFRB), that extra 1.4" of width really would come in handy for a variety of items I don't want in just an envelope so I'm going to keep what you mentioned in mind.

I am glad to have everyone posting their own tips to this thread, I am not an expert shipper by any means and I am glad to be learning from the experiences of others.

jsn
10-27-2017, 12:16 AM
I bookmarked this web site with postal rates. Some of the earlier conversations may not have stated that some of the cost, weight, and certain box issues pertain to whether or not you claim you are commercial.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#2682960

Andy
10-27-2017, 07:20 PM
I believe you have to go through a process that only large companies bother with to be a commercial shipping entity with USPS (paypal, ebay, stamps.com etc). The easy workaround is to ship via paypal/shipnow as that lets you get commercial rates through an easy to use platform. There are two levels of commercial pricing and you used to be able to access the first by printing labels off the usps website but they removed that option last year so we're stuck with ebay/paypal/other large shipping websites if we want commercial rates from my knowledge on it.

Weaponologist
11-13-2017, 01:21 AM
Just Shipped my first Package with Pp and Saved 40 cents... It was a small box.
Big Thanks to Andy for sharing this....

georgerkahn
12-26-2017, 05:30 PM
USPS rates are increasing in January 2018. You can read the increase information at:
http://blog.stamps.com/2017/10/26/usps-announces-2018-postage-rate-increase/
BEST!
geo

JRLesan
01-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Help Needed!!
I set up an online account with the USPS in order to ship regional rate. I can't seem to get the regional rates to come up on the USPS web site no matter what I do. Is there a special trick to this???

dddoo7
01-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Help Needed!!
I set up an online account with the USPS in order to ship regional rate. I can't seem to get the regional rates to come up on the USPS web site no matter what I do. Is there a special trick to this???

Regional rate boxes are not considered flat rate. You have to enter a weight and then they will pop up if your overall weight is appropriate for the regional rate box.

JRLesan
01-13-2018, 12:03 PM
I know that regional rate boxes are not flat rate. I also know that they have weight limits. I did put in a weight well under the 15lb limit for the 'A' box. I also did not checkmark 'priority'. The only thing that 'popped' up was the (few cents) discounted rate for flat rate mailing. Something else is wrong...

JRLesan
01-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Nevermind. Got it, finally...

shaggybull
06-14-2021, 10:55 AM
You can fit A small regional box that is bigger than the sfrb inside A small flat rate padded envelope

HATCH
06-14-2021, 11:34 AM
I have a trick that I have been using lately and it works.
I noticed one of my suppliers doing the trick first.

Padded flat rate envelopes are $8 to ship anywhere.
They offer a small box that is larger then the small flat rate box.
It will fit inside the flat rate padded envelope.
My compact PID that I sell will fit into the larger small box but won't fit into the SFRB.
I had been using my own boxes and shipping them for $9.50 to $13.00
But with the padded envelope now I can ship them for $8.00
Unfortunately I am doing away with the compact model so I will end up paying more for shipping again.

Conditor22
06-14-2021, 12:45 PM
I double up padded envelopes for mailing brass and up to 5 pounds of powdercoating.

free shipped to your door by USPS https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP14PE

priority-mail boxes too https://store.usps.com/store/results/shipping-supplies/_/N-7d0v8v

you can also save money by buying shipping labels online and printing them at home (I get mine from Pay Pal but there are several other sites that offer discounted shipping labels)

armstrong
08-18-2021, 06:46 AM
4 die sets, RCBS or LYMAN size boxes, will fit in a Flatrate Bubble envelope...

hiram
10-04-2021, 04:10 PM
I shipped a SFR box today. The shipping went up to $9.20 today.

marlin39a
10-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Yes, I mailed one this morning. $9.20. PO said it is temporary until December. I’ll bet it will go up more after then.

phantom22
01-19-2022, 07:30 PM
I wanted to add a bit of advice to this thread since I ship items a lot.

1. https://www.pirateship.com/

This website will get you the discounted rates for USPS and UPS (possibly fedex too, but I never use them.) You can also sometimes get cubic rate shipping for priority mail. The box sizes are various for this, but if you can get it, it can be extremely cheaper.

2. Never, ever buy postage at the post office. It is always more expensive.

3. Regional rate boxes are your friend. They are usually much cheaper than flat rate boxes. There are weight limits. Regional box A ships at the two pound rate for up to 15lbs. Other than lead, most stuff that will fit in this box will be under 15 lbs and ultimately be cheaper than the flat rate. Regional B's are similar, although I can't remember the weight limit on those. (20-25 lbs?)

4. Order and use USPS supplies when possible. They are free and as long as they aren't regional or flat rate boxes, you can frankenbox a couple two three together to make them work. I also like to use padded flat rates to pad items inside the boxes.

Hope this helps as the only other discounted shipping info I saw on this thread was related to PayPal.

phantom22
04-04-2022, 11:20 AM
Just a quick note to be aware of when shipping with USPS.

On 4/3/22 new changes in shipping went into effect.

It is in regards to "non-standard" packages. These rate increases are not only significant they are downright ridiculous.

If in item is greater than 22" in length but under 30" - $4.00 additional fee on top of the regular postage.

Items greater than 30" length and/or greater than 2 cubic feet in dimension - $15 dollar fee on top of regular postage.

Since cubic feet can be tricky to determine just by looking at the box, here is the formula for calculating cubic feet. Any answer that is 2 or above is subject to the $15 fee.

length(inches) × width(inches) × height(inches) ÷ 1728 = cubic feet(cf³)

There are also $1.50 fees for items found to have the improper dimensions reported.

To put this into perspective, since this effects my regular business significantly, I send a lot of golf clubs in a 6x6x48 box. They are almost always just under 3lbs. Previously it would cost around $8-9 to ship. Since the box is greater than 30" it is now around $26 to ship. Items like gun barrels, gun cases, some reloading supplies, will likely be impacted by this.

UPS and FedEx are now the the cheaper method to ship these type of boxes. Always buy postage online. I use https://www.pirateship.com/ you will get discounted rates compared to buying postage in the store or post office.

Hope this helps everyone save a little money.

nesdid
08-03-2022, 09:23 AM
ebay (and I assume amazon by your comment) have made a deal with usps to allow up to 1 lb as part of first class. I ship that way all the time. if a normal person goes to buy direct from usps they hold you to the lower weight limit.

Underclocked
08-30-2022, 03:15 PM
That $15 surcharge on over 30" has already caught me by surprise. The box makers need to make more boxes that will hold 29.5" items. ;)

Shawlerbrook
08-30-2022, 03:18 PM
Also watch for the $4 surcharge over 22” .

kend
09-01-2022, 06:08 PM
That $15 surcharge on over 30" has already caught me by surprise. The box makers need to make more boxes that will hold 29.5" items. ;)

Doesn't take much work to cut it down....

phantom22
10-21-2022, 08:58 AM
You can still send first class up to a pound through eBay, not sure if you can via pirateship. One catch is that 12.1-15.9 oz goes for about the same as 1lb priority for the buyers. I still pay a lower rate to ship, but it doesn't seem to make any sense for the buyer.

In any case, I have been using parcel select ground for a lot of shipments 5lbs and under that I would have normally done priority mail with. I live in NC and a 3lb normal box costs the buyer around $20 or more if it has to go across the country. Parcel select ground would be closer to $10-13. I've also found that more times than not they get there in about the same time frame.

It's also been annoying with customers who basically want free shipping no matter what the item is. Someone makes money on the shipping, but it ain't me!

phaessler
10-22-2022, 09:04 AM
It's also been annoying with customers who basically want free shipping no matter what the item is. Someone makes money on the shipping, but it ain't me!

Exactly, selling anything , buyers need to realize thats rates have skyrocketed in the past 2 years. A flat-rate box starts a $10 now, not $5.95 anymore. And There are lots of other options, parcel post is a great find and I too have noticed the shipping times are close. Also look for the regional flat rate priority rates,it all depends on which side ofthe Mississippi river its sent to and weight is limited. My local post office was shockedwhen I dopped them off and most were under $8.
Pete

phantom22
10-23-2022, 08:23 AM
Regional rate boxes are their best kept secret. They are great for small weighty items. I think box A is limited to 15lbs and box B is 25lbs or something. They ship at the 2lb rate and 5lb rate respectively to anywhere.

I had to ship a king pin lock that weighed just under 15 pounds and it fit in box A. Only was about 8 bucks as well. Regular priority or flat rate would have been much higher.

pa.frank
02-27-2023, 06:29 PM
Regional rate boxes are their best kept secret.

You don't have to worry about keeping it a secret.. its history as of 1/22/23

Effective January 22, 2023, Regional Rate Box pricing has been discontinued. Remaining Regional Rate Boxes can still be used for shipping, but they will be treated as weight and rate packages. Customers who currently use these boxes are encouraged to place orders before supplies are depleted.

shooterg
03-02-2023, 03:31 PM
Still using the boxes they sent me 2 weeks before they did away with 'em. Just inputting the size and weight on Pirate ship, still way cheaper than the PO.

fa38
10-15-2023, 01:29 PM
Just found this thread. I would have saved$11.00 on a 32 pound box I shipped to MO. using Pirateship. Thankyou phantom22.

UPS and FedEx are now the the cheaper method to ship these type of boxes. Always buy postage online. I use https://www.pirateship.com/ you will get discounted rates compared to buying postage in the store or post office.

Hope this helps everyone save a little money.[/QUOTE]

Brassmonkey
12-07-2023, 11:22 PM
One can fit 2x the brass in these envelopes than a SFRB for near same price.

Have to order them as I’ve never seen them at the post office.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-flat-rate-padded-envelope-P_EP14PE

kend
12-09-2023, 09:34 PM
One can fit 2x the brass in these envelopes than a SFRB for near same price.

Have to order them as I’ve never seen them at the post office.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-flat-rate-padded-envelope-P_EP14PE

I use those for parts I'm sending in a flat rate envelope, put the parts inside and fold it over in half and it fits perfectly inside a flat rate envelope. Also, when you have parts that need a little extra protection use the SFRB and put it inside the flat rate envelope, it ships for about a buck less and it has extra protection.

sig2009
12-12-2023, 10:54 PM
I use Pirateship for all my shipping. You can ship USPS, Fedex or UPS at crazy cheap rates.

sig2009
12-12-2023, 10:55 PM
Just found this thread. I would have saved$11.00 on a 32 pound box I shipped to MO. using Pirateship. Thankyou phantom22.

Hope this helps everyone save a little money.[/QUOTE]

Pirateship is all that I use now.

shooterg
12-15-2023, 04:52 PM
It's absolutely crazy that the PO will license someone to ship cheaper than the PO ! That's a GSE for you !!