PDA

View Full Version : CVA Scout 45-70

Gunslinger1911
03-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Hey gentlemen,
A friend just got a CVA Scout in 45-70. Gun shop told him it could take Ruger #1 loads - I'm calling shenanigans. I'm thinkin lever loads are all it can take.

This thing barely weighs 6 pounds, my Marlin Cowboy weighs 8 ish and can be a handful !

Nothing on CVA site.

Anyone have any info on Scout strength ?

Thanks

TCLouis
03-11-2016, 08:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the gun can take a steady diet of loads that the shooter can not!

Gunslinger1911
03-11-2016, 10:13 PM
TCLouis, I think you are correct. I'm not shooting it !, I'll stick with the Marlin.

Earlwb
03-18-2016, 06:04 PM
This article here has information that might be of interest to you. http://www.chuckhawks.com/cva_apex_45-70.htm

According to an e-mail from Dudley McGarity, the Apex is safe for use with mid-level .45-70 +P loads of the type suitable for Marlin lever action rifles. These are usually defined as not exceeding 40,000 CUP MAP. (Note: It is not intended for use with the top level of .45-70 loads, which generate MAP's in the 50,000 CUP range and are for use in single shot Ruger No. 1 and Browning/Winchester High Wall falling block rifles ONLY.)

One thing is to check the chamber leade distance. At the time they were playing with their 45-70 they had to seat the larger 405 grain bullets deeper into the case to clear the beginning of the rifling and also so the action would close up properly. So it might be sensitive to cartridges that are too long. But with upwards of 300 grain size bullets it was no problem. It is possible they could have changed the specs after the article.

Earlwb
03-18-2016, 06:07 PM
This article here has information that might be of interest to you. http://www.chuckhawks.com/cva_apex_45-70.htm

According to an e-mail from Dudley McGarity, the Apex is safe for use with mid-level .45-70 +P loads of the type suitable for Marlin lever action rifles. These are usually defined as not exceeding 40,000 CUP MAP. (Note: It is not intended for use with the top level of .45-70 loads, which generate MAP's in the 50,000 CUP range and are for use in single shot Ruger No. 1 and Browning/Winchester High Wall falling block rifles ONLY.)

One thing is to check the chamber leade distance. At the time they were playing with their 45-70 they had to seat the larger 405 grain bullets deeper into the case to clear the beginning of the rifling and also so the action would close up properly. So it might be sensitive to cartridges that are too long. But with upwards of 300 grain size bullets it was no problem. It is possible they could have changed the specs after the article.

One thought was that in the article they stated that thr 405 grain bullet seemed to be the most accurate though. Also they didn't seem to mind the recoil all that much either. Scary. Maybe they are all strong tough guys used to shooting elephant guns.
'

Mr Humble
03-19-2016, 09:28 PM
It's a single shot shotgun frame. A No.1 (not #1) is a VERY strong falling block.
Pretty bad if the top of the CVA receiver shears off ! Anything that exceeds factory loads would be a hazard. Then ..... about the recoil !!!!

Sagebrush7
03-20-2016, 04:39 PM
I would tread with caution! Read on line about the eight lawsuits against CVA before they were sold. Claims are they were proofing about one out of four barrels but proof stamping all! People have lost there eyes, fingers and one case brain damage. Load with caution!

Gunslinger1911
03-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.
Buddy has determined his shoulder is not very happy with even strong lever rated loads (maybe something having to do with that 6 lbs thing ???).

TC Louis called it !!!!

tdoyka
03-28-2016, 02:53 PM
i'll stay with trapdoor loads for my h&r....