PDA

View Full Version : Are the old Marlins better than the new?

crabo
05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Are the old Marlins more accurate and better made guns than the ones being built today? Is there any reason to seek out an old rifle instead of buying a new one?

I am not talking about the obvious price difference if you buy used as opposed to new. I talking about accuracy.

Thanks,

Crabo

Glen
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
No difference in accuracy of those in my stable. Some of the older guns just have a nostalgic "coolness factor" that's hard to beat though...

9.3X62AL
05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
+1 to Glen's response generally, in my experience with Marlin lever rifles (~20 examples, mix of older and more recent). There is a bit less attention to detail in a few of the newer variants--my 94 CL in 25-20 WCF is chambered "long", a common characteristic of that model/caliber combo apparently. Newer 94 rifles also are not D&T'ed for receiver sights.

Still, a Marlin lever rifle is a great bargain in terms of value/item received for price paid. Just about all new firearms can use a bit of work to make them right--the companies don't have the time or inclination to complete their construction. If that means I pay $500 for a Marlin 1895 instead of $750, I'll finish it myself--hire it done--or just live with it as is.

crabo
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I went this morning to shoot my first cowboy pistol cartridge silhouette match with my new Marlin 357 CB. Only problem was that the centerfire match was in the afternoon and the first match was for .22. I didn't have a .22.

A friend offered to let me shoot his .22 and I couldn't refuse that offer. Now I have to buy a 22 levergun. He said he has one that is a little ugly, (blueing is good, but stocks need refinishing), but a great shooter that he will sell me.
This friend is a nationally ranked silhouette shooter, but he is also a salesman.

SO the delima is whether or not to buy the ugly shooter, or take a chance on a new pretty one, for a little more money, hoping that it shoots well. I guess the best deal would be to see if I could test drive it before I bought it.

What would you do?

Crabo

Ranch Dog
05-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I've bought a new Marlin every year since 1999 and I think the workmanship has been outstanding. Overall the metal finish and wood work has been fantastic. I think a Marlin rifle is a great value.

I had a program on my PC, until my harddrive failed last summer, that tracked every 444 sold on GB and AA. From about 5 years of data I found that there was about a $10 difference with the internet sales of used 444s vs. what a new 444 would cost at Wal-Mart. A guy might find a deal locally but all the used guns around here are put on the internet.

A pawn shop in Victoria listed a 444P on GB that my program picked up. I drove down to see if they would sell it across the counter. No, he would sell it to someone on the other side of the country because he "knows that I will sell it for more than what it is worth"!

Glen
05-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree RanchDog, it's very difficult to find a .444 Marlin on the used gun market, and those online tend to sell for very close to retail. I had looked for a used one for years, with zero success, when I stumbled across one about 10 years ago, of all places, in downtown Seattle. I got out the door with it, and a hard plastic case, for less than $300. It was one of the best (and quickest!) gun buys I've ever made. It's a MG barrel, with its lethargic 1 in 38" twist, and it shoots 300 grain GC cast bullets just fine, thank you.

mainiac
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree RanchDog, it's very difficult to find a .444 Marlin on the used gun market, and those online tend to sell for very close to retail. I had looked for a used one for years, with zero success, when I stumbled across one about 10 years ago, of all places, in downtown Seattle. I got out the door with it, and a hard plastic case, for less than $300. It was one of the best (and quickest!) gun buys I've ever made. It's a MG barrel, with its lethargic 1 in 38" twist, and it shoots 300 grain GC cast bullets just fine, thank you.

Ive seen a few 444,s up here at good buys, its the marlin 32 special thats beating me up! Cant find one around here. Only ones ive found are way more than a thutty-thutty. Me thinks the old-timers are still cherishing these things!

9.3X62AL
05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
As for the 22 LR levergun, look no further than the Marlin 39A. The Winchester 94/22 was a fine little rifle, but is now out of print. The hucksters are all about doubling the price on the "no longer available" Winchester ANYTHING, with the usual "rare", "collectible", "scarce", and other BS adjectives to pump the price up for the unwary. The Marlin offers ease of maintenence with its break-down receiver and removable bolt--clean from the chamber end, just like a bolt rifle. I really like mine, a 1974-made example that can almost keep up with those scandalous Burrito Shooters that help me infest Inland F&G on Tuesdays.

The Nyack Kid
05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
My 336A made in the 50's just has that "feel" to it . i dont know if it would shoot any better than the new xlp or what ever it is called. hey fwiw i seen two 444s at the Chehalis gunshow last time i when , but what is the model called that has the strait lever ? and do they have the 1in 38 twist ? iirc they were in the $495 range .

Buckshot
05-05-2008, 01:53 AM
.................It's just me but I sure like the old 1893's a LOT better then the round bolt 336's.

I know that the new ones are machined out of a solid steel forging, which is expensive. In know the old ones were also. The new round bolt rifles are probably stronger due both to modern metalurgy and probably the design of the round bolt. Yet that aside, the older large frame flat bolts to me are just more appealing.

What gags me the most is all the extra wood in the forend. What's up with that anyway?

http://www.fototime.com/47DD87E404FADAE/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/9F5891A7D1FCEBE/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/AD326EF2BBA0D5F/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/1BADD2284797AF1/standard.jpg

If Marlin would make a reproduction of the above, I'd put money down right now. The exposed round bolt just isn't right. Why can't Marlin make them like this now? They did at one time. Why can the Italians tool up to produce the neat old rifles that used to be made here, yet we cannot?

.................Buckshot

Boomer Mikey
05-05-2008, 03:27 AM
My 336A made in the 50's just has that "feel" to it . i dont know if it would shoot any better than the new xlp or what ever it is called. hey fwiw i seen two 444s at the Chehalis gunshow last time i when , but what is the model called that has the strait lever ? and do they have the 1in 38 twist ? iirc they were in the $495 range .

That sounds like an 1895 Cowboy in 444 Marlin, I believe they made those only 1 year. It would follow me home... if I could find one.
Another one that would follow me home is a 336 Cowboy in 30-30.

Well crabo!!! How did your Cowboy Silhouette match go?

Boomer :Fire:

crabo
05-05-2008, 07:57 AM
The match was a blast. I got there and pulled out my rifle and a friend of mine said, "oh the 22 match is first." So I got shoot my 357 for about 50 rounds and then a lot of 22 shooters showed up to practice, so I quit shooting it not to distract them.

Another friend offered to let me shoot his 22 and even furnished some $15.00 a box Lupua shells. I got to practice a little and shot the match. It was really the first time I had shot peep sights. I ended up shooting a 35 out of 60. Another poster on this sight, GSM, helped spot and keep score. It was a blast. Now I have to buy a 22.

One of the great benefits of a site like this is the good friends you make. It is great not only have guys across the world to talk to, but when you get to meet them and shoot with them it is even more fun.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I need to start the pawnshop crawl......

Crabo

Boomer Mikey
05-05-2008, 11:47 AM
The match was a blast. .
One of the great benefits of a site like this is the good friends you make. It is great not only have guys across the world to talk to, but when you get to meet them and shoot with them it is even more fun. Crabo

Typically, the Cowboy and Silhouette shooters have been my favorite bunch of guys and gals to shoot with; they seem more interested in having and sharing their fun with each other.

Don't be afraid to get your friend's used rifle if the price is right; In many cases I think a used rife that shoots well has more character than a new shiny one that dares you to put that first scratch on it.

Buckshot keeps taunting us with those classic beauties with their beautiful patina finishes... Darn you Buckshot!

Boomer :Fire:

jlchucker
05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Old is always better than new. Back in the day, manufacturers had STYLE and TASTE!

Mumblypeg
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Buckshot, I agree the older ones are cool. I guess the people in R&D have to feel needed but why reinvent the wheel? Like cars somebody thinks they have change it. I'm not aganist change but they need to keep the good ones. As for the wood, that's easy, cut it down.

45r
05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
If you can get an old Marlin in good shape for a good price you would be wise to get it.I tried to buy an old 30-30 from a friend that doesn't hunt or shoot anymore and he wouldn't sell it.Less than a box of ammo through it.31 years old.It had a great trigger and excellent wood to metal fit.I wish I could get a rifle like buckshot has.That is what a Marlin should look like to me.I have 2 CB's in 357 and 45 colt because they have the square bolt and slim forestocks.I'd think about getting a 45-70CB if it had a square bolt.I don't care for the round bolt and would only buy one if I could get it cheap.I'd think about getting a new round bolt if they brought out some more guide guns in 35 cal or a good used one but they are hard to get at a good price.They seemed to be thinking about bringing out a 444 guide gun again that would be my next choice but who knows if they will do it with the new owners running the show.I'm glad I got my CB's when I did,both are tack-drivers after a lot of barrel break-in,cleaning and tuning but well worth it now.Both will shoot 1 to 2 inch groups with cast or XTP's.

Marlin Junky
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
"Are the old Marlins better than the new?"

I don't know, someone please send me a XLR in .35 Remington and I'll test it along side my 1951 vintage 336A. I promise I'll send it back in about 2 years. [smilie=1:

MJ

Marlin Junky
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Buckshot,

While the pre-336 Marlins are nice to look at, I doubt Marlin would have ever chambered them for the fatter .35 Remington cartridge. The 336 is just evolution in place and with a little woodwork, they look just just fine, perhaps not as nostalgic as the pre-49er's, but just fine nonetheless. Who knows, maybe one day, one of us may start re-manufacturing 95's and 93's in all the cool, old chamberings!

MJ

Shuz
05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
My new Marlin 1894 in .44 mag with Ballard rifling is much, much more accurate than the older model that had the Micro-groove rifling. YMMV.

crabo
05-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Well I felt like I needed to accesorize my new 357 cowboy, so I bought a 39A. It is pre crossbolt safety and wood is smooth with no checkering. The serial number is 18266xxx.

Anyone know how to date that? I looked on Marlin owners, but could find anything on 39s
except for a copuple of years.

Crabo

Scrounger
05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
No letter at the beginning of the serial number? That means it was made prior to 1945; They started making the 39A in 1939, there was no production during the war years, 1942 till late in 1945, and starting in 1945 there would have been a "C" as the first digit. If the number you have given is correct, one would believe it was made in the period 1939 to 1941. But nothing is chiseled in stone in this business, and I suspect something is at odds here. Below are a couple of links to help you figure it out.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/marlindatecode.htm
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/marlin_LARF_rifles.htm

crabo
05-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Scrounger, I just went and looked again. That is the correct number. No letter prefix. Just numbers. It has a very smooth action, but the trigger pull is too heavy for me. It is acyually in pretty great shape, just has some scratches on the stock that I can probably camoflauge pretty easy with some Old English.

I gave $300 OTD with a cheap 4 power scope.

Thanks,

Crabo

maroontoad
05-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Well I felt like I needed to accesorize my new 357 cowboy, so I bought a 39A. It is pre crossbolt safety and wood is smooth with no checkering. The serial number is 18266xxx.

Anyone know how to date that? I looked on Marlin owners, but could find anything on 39s
except for a copuple of years.

Crabo

Hi Crabo,

1982. Same method as the centerfires, take the first 2 digits from 100. Works back to the early 70's

Snow.

crabo
05-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Maroontoad,

Crabo

PatMarlin
05-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I want that Marlin, Buckshot.. :mrgreen:

The Dust Collector
05-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I was just reading in Phil Sharpe's "The Rifle In Ameriaca" that he was at the Marlin plant during the production of the model 1936, in 1936. He was told that from start to finnish that there were 2446 seperate distinct operations in the manufacture of that rifle. He went on to state that the rifle retailed for $32.00. That's about 1 1/2 cents per operation not including the materials! I guess that's why they went to a more economically feasible 336. The book was published in 1938.

PatMarlin
06-02-2008, 01:10 PM
The bolt alone had to save a ton of time and machining.

I just picked up this 1949 336 in 30-30, and it has great balance and feel to it compared to my 70's 336 models. I like the fat wood in the forearm.

Can't wait to see how it shoots.

The Dust Collector
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Pat, Just out of curiosity, what did you have to give for it?
I've been shooting mine quite a bit as I'm on vaccation. This 36 is fast becoming my 30-30 of choice. It's been handling a wide range of boolit weights and charges very well!
I'm impressed with it........
I hope that yours shoots as well as mine. Keep us up dated!
DUST

PatMarlin
06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I paid $200 for it, in a pawn shop. It's a 336.

I paid $350 for my 1970 336 in 30-30, but it is a centenial. Near perfect condition but that was about 4 years ago.

Now it seems like you can't find a nice old one for that price. Not online anyway.

crabo
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Not too long ago, while I was considering wether or not to let the lever gun bug bite, I passed on a 336 in 35 Remington , with a scope for $175 out the door. What a *******!

Crabo

PatMarlin
06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
35 Remington's on Gunbroker are going real high in price.

PatMarlin
06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Have fun with your 39a Crabo.

I cherish mine, which is identicle to the one in my avatar. I bought it in 1970 new at 10 years old from lawn mowing proceeds. Was $119 if I remember correctly.

Still is in 99% condition.