PDA

View Full Version : electric problem

Don Fischer
03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
About a week ago I plugged in my melting pot and blew the electricity. Few days later my son came over and found a plug in the back bedroom burned out. Circuit breaker was not blown. Told my maybe my pot was just pulling to much power. I though about that and figured that can't be right, my micro wave pulls more watt. I left it be for a few days and convinced myself it couldn't be the pot. So plugged it back in and right away blew the power on that circuit. Went out a looked and the circuit breaker was tripped this time. Took the plug in off the wall expecting it to be burned but nope, that wasn't it. So checked my pot and the two wire's going in were bare and touching. Took the front cover off and rewire it and it worked fine! Turned it back on and it ran right. Also got a lead thermometer and at 750* the thermometer reads 725*, that should be good! Cast a bunch more 9mm bullet's. One's I'd tried powder coating and failed, I'm gonna run through my sizer, get's here today and tumble lube them in Lee alox. Then try some different powder.

bangerjim
03-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Electricity is not the "Magic Stuff" it used to be!!!!! HA....ha.

A shorted appliance is normally 98% of the reason a breaker will blow. Rarely is it in the outlet itself, as long as it was wired properly.

Anytime a breaker pops, I immediately get out one of my DVM's and check ground to case to plug. Everyone should have a DVM. HF gives them away for free with their coupons! I have over a dozen of those cheap little $7.99 meters. They serve a purpose. For my work it is FLUKE all the way!

Glad found your gremlin!

banger

Ole Joe Clarke
03-13-2016, 02:15 PM
You gotta remember: If a hammer doesn't fix the problem, it's probably electrical. :-)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Walter Laich
03-13-2016, 02:56 PM
...or paint, everything pretty much needs a new coat of paint

At least an Army E-7 told me that

NC_JEFF
03-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Sounds like the problem is fixed. Electricity is awesome until something ain't right

Mk42gunner
03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
One of the only places I don't like a digital volt meter is zeroing synchros. An analog meter works better there. Yes we found that out the hard way.

But since I'm not riding tincans anymore, or working on printed circuit boards; I have a few of the cheap multimeters in the various toolboxes.

Robert