PDA

View Full Version : Barrel advice, please

03-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Greetings all,

Please give me your thoughts on two different products. I am in the process of using a T/C Contender rifle frame to assemble a .357 Max rifle. As I understand it, the two best providers are MGM & Bullberry. It might seem like an exercise of comparing Cadillacs & Mercedes, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. I'm in no rush for this project, as it might be next year's deer season gun. I have a few cast possibilities in the mold drawer, but I like the - dare I say it :) - 180 jacketed as well. Your thoughts and comments, please.

Tatume
03-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Jean at Bullberry just notified me yesterday that my frame and two new barrels are ready to ship. I should have them next week. The frame is an old non-easy open, and they went through it and tuned it up for me ($30, a bargain). The barrels are 14" 7-30 Waters and 13-1/2" 35 Remington. These are my first Bullberry barrels, so I can't say what they will be like. However, I can say that the people at Bullberry are a delight to work with!

03-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Tatume,

So, ...... you have to send the frame in to get the barrel? Didn't know that. Eager to hear how you like 'em.

Thanks, 725

bosterr
03-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I have barrels made by Bullberry, MGM and SSK. As for which is best? Flip a coin! I lean towards MGM because I think they are a little easier on the wallet. They all shoot cast great.

Tatume
03-12-2016, 08:18 AM
You have to send the frame in to get the barrel? Didn't know that. Eager to hear how you like 'em.

No. I sent my frame because it was very old, and had been giving some problems. They offered to work on it while my barrels were being made. It is not required to send them the frame, and the barrels are interchangeable across frame, like all Contender barrels.

Take care, Tom

03-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks bosterr & Tatume. That's the info I was after. Think I'll start looking toward MGM. :)

tdoyka
03-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks bosterr & Tatume. That's the info I was after. Think I'll start looking toward MGM. :)

thats the way i would go!!! i know, i have 4 of them. 20 vartarg, 22-250ai, 6.5 creedmoor and the 444 marlin.

Rick Hodges
03-12-2016, 07:58 PM
I have a 22" Bullberry 7x30 Waters barrel for my contender. I couldn't be happier with it. Accurate and easy to clean. I use it with J-words, not cast. I also have a 22LR barrel from the fore runner company of MGM. It is a great barrel also, although the finish is better on the Bullberry. The prices have gone through the roof since I purchased them.