PDA

View Full Version : Unique through Lee Auto Disc?

NuJudge
05-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd like to load a lot of .38 Specials on my Loadmaster using Unique, but I'm not sure I will get uniform charges, given the powder's shape.

Does anyone have any experience?

CDD

trickyasafox
05-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I pretty much only use unique now- I tried some bullseye when I first started- but switched to unique as soon as I ran out. I've gone through maybe 10lbs of it (not tons by any means) and only use lee autodisk and pro autodisk measures to throw it. I've had great luck with consistent charges, but the charge weight you'll get will be way low compared to the lee charts.

I find they are often 1 or 2 disks off in their projected powder weights. always verify with a scale- but the things throw great repeatable charges for me.

JIMinPHX
05-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Ball powders seem to work the best in those things, but flake powders like Unique are not bad either. They tend to bust up the stick powders a little more than I care for.

35remington
05-03-2008, 07:21 PM
I strongly recommend not going below 3.5 grains of any flake powder in the Lee Auto Disk powder measures. Long experience with flake powders in small charges has proven that the occasional lighter than 3.5 grain charge will bridge in the small circular cavity, causing squibs.

As an example, throwing 3.0 grains Unique through the Disk for my .25-20 will result in the occasional shot over 400 fps lower in velocity (600 versus 1080) using an 80 grain cast bullet. I could go on.

Ironically, the Lee Perfect Powder measure will handle very small charges of flake powders just fine.

With heavier than 3.5 grain charges the Auto Disk works fine with Unique. Extreme spreads in velocity are often as low or lower than ball powders that supposedly "meter" better. So, metering is no problem as long as you don't go too low.

mj2evans
05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I had terrible results with Bluedot in autodisk but the perfect powder measure does just fine with it. Had some issues with Unique too and switched to W231 that meters very well. I might try Unique again though as I want to burn some up in light/medium 357 loads. I recently heard that covering the inside of the autodisk cavity with a pencil lead (lube?) can help too.

TexasJeff
05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Unique even gets my auto discs dirty. . . .

Whenever I've decided to use Unique, it's measured out fine and consistent in my auto-disc setup.

I've still got three-fourths of a pound of Hercules Unique in my ammow cabinet. It even gets the piece of carpet all the powders sit on dirty.

Jeff

steif
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I also have used the unique in lee auto disc with great luck? I loaded several thousand 45 acp with everything from jacketed to cast using unique and had great luck, but like others have said it gets everything dirty...lol..

rmb721
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I use Unique in a Lee Auto Disc powder measure for my 9mm. Very consistant.

LeadThrower
05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Here's one more for Unique in the autodisc (light - medium .357). I weigh 10 in a row whenever I change a disc or refill the reservoir, and then every 10th after that. Weights are always consistent.

GSPKurt
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I use Unique, aka "Flammable Dirt", (10 gr.) in my Pro Auto-Disc, but I use the adjustable charge bar thingie. No issues here.