PDA

View Full Version : So I picked up a HP Mold

hollywood63
03-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Not sure who did it but it looks like what hollow point molds does. Anyway I took it completely apart and cleaned it up with scotch brite pads and sand blasted the handles and spur plate because it had a far amount of rust on. I painted the handles and plate with some high temp grill paint I had. Put it back together and gave it a test run. To my surprise the paint on the plate seems to act like a teflon coating. When the lead is poured in it beads up like mercury does and flows right in. Then when cutting the cooled spur off it just slides right off and if I cut to early there is virtually no lead smear on the bottom of the plate even after 600 boolits. This got me to thinking if I used this paint on my molds that are a little sticky they would just fall out. Does anyone have experience painting cavities?

Thanks

berksglh
03-11-2016, 11:25 AM
I have used frankford arsenal's Drop out graphite spray. While it did seem to help, it needs to be a thin layer. The bad news was, it adds thickness to the faces and moves the molds appart, only a 0.001" or so depending on how you spray. It also adds thickness to the cavities, reducing the diamater of the dropped round. And controlling the amount of spray evenly over the cavity is a bit hard. So castings were barely out of round with it.

For an old oversized mold, may be a quick temporary fix, as it can be removed with solvents.

A proper lap job seems to solve my sticking problems.

I use the spray on my ingot pans now.