View Full Version : 30WCF cast boolit endeavor

stubbicatt
03-11-2016, 10:17 AM
My most recent acquisition is a 1904 vintage 1894 in 30 WCF. Neat rifle, with its warts and whatnot, but I like it

So I purchased a 2 cavity RCBS RNFPGC mould and casted up some bullets a couple months ago. Its the first time in years I have had a gas check design.

I thought I would try something different than I usually do, so I bought a Lee sizer die in .313", and mounted up my single stage Lee Classic Cast press. I really like the press. I bought the larger bullet sizer to make sure the gas checks are crimped onto the bullets, but with hopes that it wouldn't size the shanks of the bullets. The bullets themselves do show signs of sizing in a couple small places though.

Rather than get a sizer die for my Star lubrisizer, I pan lubed these bullets. I have pan lubed the tapered 32-40 bullets before and have been very happy with the results. However, trying to press these straight, nominal .309" bullets, from the lube cake had me with very sore thumbs for quite awhile. --I guess the tapered 32-40 bullets are easier to pop from the grease cake due to the taper. So I will modify a 308 case to use as a "kake cutter" for the next batch of bullets I lube in this way. The sore thumbs won't work, but I am learning from doing which is a good thing... keeps the mind nimble.

So I loaded up 39 rounds last night with IMR4227 powder and these RCBS bullets, CCI large rifle primers.

These bullets are quite long, and the bases extend into the powder chamber of the 30 WCF, when crimped in the crimping groove. I have no idea how they will perform, but it is my hope to get to the range soonest to find out. The dummy round cycled perfectly.

As an aside, I use all sorts of tools from every company. But I must say, the RCBS dies generally are the smoothest resizing dies overall. I am not so crazy about their seating dies, but the one thing I can say is they are a "set it and forget it" proposition, which in the case of the 30 WCF is just as well, as its design is such that to assure function from a tubular magazine, there are narrow parameters, and really only limited outside dimension variables. So the RCBS seater works fine. :)

It has taken awhile to bring all these new to me techniques together, but it is good to experiment with new cartridges and new techniques. I hope there is enough grease on these bullets to make it all the way down that 26" barrel.

Scharfschuetze
03-11-2016, 11:24 AM
I wish you the best of luck with that load. Sounds like a good one.

I too like RCBS moulds and use two different styles in my 30 cal bolt rifles. I've not tried them in the 30/30 or 30 Rem as they are not designed for them.

My brother has a duplicate to your rifle and uses it for coyotes to deer and antelope with great success in the Rocky Mountain States. I have a Marlin 1893 rifle (26" octagon barrel) in 30 WCF made a year before your Winchester and enjoy it immensely. It's been in the family since it was new and is spot on accurate on little stuff out to 200 yards and further with cast boolits.

Post a photo of your rifle. Here are the 26" 30 WCF rifles in our family.

stubbicatt
03-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Neat rifle there Scharfschuetze.

Ithaca Gunner
03-13-2016, 08:37 AM
IMR 4227 is usually the first powder I try with just about any cast rifle load. My .38-55 didn't like it though, it prefers a diet of IMR 4198. That RCBS 30-180-FN is the cast boolit of choice for me, not only in .30WCF, but it shoots best in my M-1 also.

Two of my 1894's. Both born in 1898, the rifle is .30WCF, the saddle carbine, .38-55.

Beautiful wood on that Marlin bye the way!

Scharfschuetze
03-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Oh man, shotgun butt plate, half octagon barrel and a half magazine and tang sight. What's not to love there. Was it a special order rifle?

Old rifles sure have an appeal and part of it is that they have good honest wood and blued steel.

TXGunNut
03-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Oh man, shotgun butt plate, half octagon barrel and a half magazine and tang sight. What's not to love there. Was it a special order rifle?

Old rifles sure have an appeal and part of it is that they have good honest wood and blued steel.

Willing to bet it was, suspect it has some nice wood as well. Got to fondle my buddy's 1898 vintage 1894 takedown today. Octagon barrel (beautiful bore) and in very good shape overall. Love those old leverguns.

Ithaca Gunner
03-13-2016, 09:27 PM

As far as I can tell, it was. I have the Cody letter which simply states the receiver was made in 1898, but not received in warehouse until summer of 1901, shipped within a few days, returned for "work" and reshipped. The stock is very short, like it was made for a woman, small person, or possibly in a cold climate where heavy clothing was worn. The letter doesn't state where, or to whom it was shipped. The bore is very nice

The carbine was .30WCF but had a worn and sever pitted bore. I sent it to JES reboring several years ago and had it rebored to .38-55 5 groove, it shoots very well now with a 255gr. cast boolit slung by a mid dose of IMR 4198. No letter on it, but it came from GA.

northmn
03-14-2016, 11:50 AM
I ahve shot cast bullets in Winchester 94's, a Marlin CB and my old Marlin with Ballard rifling. To be honest the 30-30 is about the biggest no-brainer with cast bullets I have shot. The RCBS 180 grain flat nose is a standard for the cartridge as it often casts a little heavier. I got a few deer with a Lee bullet that weighed in a 188 grains and sized to 309. It was originally desined for the 303 British. I sued a flat nose punch when I sized them and made them flat nosed. All shot the 150 grain Lee bullets very well, tried some 120 grain that shot well and some 170 grain that also shot well. Used 4759, Re7 and other powders. Have fun, but most anything reasonble will work.

DP

w30wcf
03-15-2016, 07:32 AM
stubbicatt,
Neat piece of Winchester history! The RCBS 180 is one of my favorite .30-30 molds. I purchased mine back in the early 1980's so it has been around awhile.

One thing I did find is that since the gas check is below the case neck, and if the g.c. Is larger than the bullet diameter, the bullet will not be as tight a fit in the case neck since the larger g.c. will open the case neck when being seated.

For factory equivalent loads I have found that slower burning powders gave the best results when a cast bullet extended below the case neck. My personal favorite is H414 or W760 (same powder) in 36 gr doses (capacity load). H4350 is my second choice.

Have fun!

w30wcf

stubbicatt
03-16-2016, 08:11 AM
W30WCF I wouldn't have thought to experiment with slower powders. Interesting. For the super informal shooting I did using IMR4227, to determine a rough "zero", it shot to the point of aim at a short 35 yards or so at clays on the berm. I shall have to chronograph those loads, and I might try a slower powder. If you remember, what was the charge weight on the H4350. I have a couple unopened pounds of that I intend to try in my 6.5x47 someday. (I just enjoy shooting cast bullets out of old rifles better!)

Something I noticed with my rifle is that the cases don't expand very much at all. I think I could skip the sizing step and simply flare the case mouth, and it would accept a bullet. I might experiment with that, but I FL sized them all anyways this time.

I am using a MVA tang sight, and the standard front blade sight. I haven't decided yet, but I am thinking to replace the front with a MVA globe and post, as while I could see the blade just fine, it seemed sort of vague to get the tip centered up in the rear aperture.

A lovely 1904 vintage rifle. :)

blixen
03-19-2016, 12:45 AM
I've got a (IIRC) 1903 mod. 94. It apparently had a hard history: broken stock and tang--and for some reason the barrel was set back and rechambered. The tang was braised back on at some point. I had to make a front blade for it. So the wood doesn't match and the barrel is an odd length and its nicked and scratched.

But damn, it shoots cast boolits. And it's not picky, Lee 175 FP, Lee 185 .303 slug, and even the Lee SKS 155. And the ranch dog 165 gr. Seems to work the best. My fav rifle.