PDA

View Full Version : Rolling round bullets

Saltner
03-11-2016, 05:48 AM
I saw various ways to roll the round bullets after casting to eliminate the sign of the casting.
I tried roll them with a slightly satin tile on a laminated board.
To contain the round i used the edge of a plastic lid of a jar.
The result seems satisfactory.
163261 163262 163263 163264 163265

Beagle333
03-11-2016, 05:52 AM
'Looks like you are getting good results from that. 8-)

Walter Laich
03-11-2016, 09:52 AM
since this is first I'm hearing of the process please give details

how long after casting?
how long rolling them
tile is on top?

would like to learn

Saltner
03-11-2016, 10:46 AM
I rolled after a week because i had to find the tile, but although there are theories on change after cooling, i would do it when they are cold.
Better would be to roll them on a marble floor with a nice heavy slab always marble.
Pedersoli sells this gear manually but it costs a folly http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/accessori/mid/175USA-494.jpg

2wheelDuke
03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
They look good. I've done cast 00 buck in the small bowl of my Lyman tumbler. It made one heck of a racket, but they came out with no sign of the cut sprue.

webfoot10
03-14-2016, 09:36 PM
I use a ball roller I made out of a boat trailer bearing and a intake valve from a chevy.
Get a four inch x 3/8 piece of flat plate, polish one side nice an smooth, then take the
bearing race an tack weld or braze it to the polished side of the smooth plate, be sure
that no slag or brass gets on the plate inside the bearing race. Then get a .202 intake
valve from a Chevrolet or any large head valve, cut the stem off till you have a 3in stem.
Take the flatplate with the bearing race an put it on your drill press table, Chuck the cut
off valve in your drill chuck. To use put 3 or 4 lead balls in the bearing, adjust the valve
down to just about touching the balls. Turn on the drill on low speed and just bring it into
contact with the balls. As they spin they will compress the spu into the ball. Use just enough
pressure to spin the balls. As they spin you will hear the sound change as they smooth out.
Keep spinning till they look smooth. Just make sure the bearing race is not higher then the
ball dia. They should look like swaged balls when done.
webfoot10