PDA

View Full Version : master caster on it's way!

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
I got a call today from Magma with just a couple more questions of what I wanted. He said they were heating it up to make sure everything was working correctly and might get it packed up and sent off today. Ordered my mold from Accurate a little bit ago so it's in the process too. Got the casters for the cabinet I'm gonna put it on and now need to start building the cabinet for it. Getting closer.

Scott

Walter Laich
03-10-2016, 07:12 PM
pictures when you're done or it doesn't exist

good luck with the set up

Walla2
03-11-2016, 05:36 PM
What quantities can one of these produce realistically?

rbt50
03-11-2016, 06:26 PM
you will love it.if you shoot alot of cast bullets it is the only way to go.

VHoward
03-11-2016, 06:45 PM
What quantities can one of these produce realistically?
Anywhere between 480 and 720 bullets per hour depending on bullet caliber and weight.

bstone5
03-11-2016, 08:14 PM
There is a lot of info on automating the Master Caster. After automation my Master Caster will make 800 bullets per hour with bullets less than 200 grains.
I operated the Master Caster by hand for a few years and still made a lot of guilty bullets but after automation the number per hour increased.

After installing a clean mold warm the mold with a propane torch before operation to get quality bullets at the beginning of a casting session.

runfiverun
03-11-2016, 08:43 PM
aluminum molds are gonna get torn to pieces on a master caster.

I turned my master caster into a hand casting pot and using 4 cavity molds that drastically increased the production rate.

their greatest feature is that even a mentally handicapped person can operate one [both of my handicapped kids run the second one frequently] but they get bored with it quickly.

Tazza
03-13-2016, 05:37 PM
They are great machines, not as fast a a set of 6 bangers from lee, but far less taxing on your body. It also depends on the ambient temperature, colder weather you can do more as the mold cools off faster than when it's hot. I'd still think about the 600/hour mark is close on the money. I cast about 24,000 with mine before automating it.

Mine works on 5-6 second cycle times. You need to tweak it as it gets to temperature to see if it's too slow or fast. As always, when it comes time to shut it down, it runs flawlessly as if to say please don't shut me down....

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
it's gonna be here on Wednesday. As i was in the shop today I was thinking about the stand to put it on. I will be standing using it and it seems to me that comfortable height will be with the handle at top would be a few inches below shoulder height. I'm looking at 55-56 inches off the floor. This seems like it will be comfortable and I wont have to bend over either to see the lead stream or work the handle. What height are you guys using for yours?

Scott

Tazza
03-13-2016, 06:26 PM
When i was using it manually, it was on a bench about 7-800mm tall, a comfortable height for me to sit down at. As you want to stand, you will have to be the judge of what is comfortable for you.

runfiverun
03-14-2016, 02:37 AM
I mounted mine on a work bench and sit down.
I cut a hole in the top and let the boolits and sprues fall into the drawer underneath.

stag15
03-15-2016, 09:32 PM
You will not be disappointed with that machine. On top of that Magma is a great company to deal with. Whenever I had a tech problem/question they would always help me out.

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-15-2016, 10:37 PM
It will be here tomorrow between noon and 4:30!

Tazza
03-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Will there be an unveiling? Pictures as it's released from it's packaging? :)

Don Purcell
03-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Christmas in March! Been using one for several years and really like it. I also splurged and bought the steel mount so you can remove the pot and bolt it to the steel mount and use your other molds like my 8 and 10 cavity Hensley and Gibbs molds. As you will be using basically just your right arm to operate the machine, to give my left arm something to do (No not that!) I keep a pad of paper and use it to keep track of the number of pours to give an idea how many bullets I am producing.

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-16-2016, 07:46 AM
I can document the whole thing if you'd like.

Windwalker 45acp
03-16-2016, 08:44 AM
I can document the whole thing if you'd like.

Yes please!

Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to seeing how it works out for you.

pjh421
03-18-2016, 01:32 PM
When you measure, you might want to be standing on an anti-fatigue mat. You'll need to have the sprue cutter at eyeball height so you're not constantly bending your back to see what's going on. I made a wooden riser/mount for mine but it seemed too flimsy. I've got some square tube identified to cut and weld for a permanent base but haven't found the time to do much with it. Haven't even plugged it in yet. Congrats on yours! I'm happy for you.

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-23-2016, 11:27 PM
So here is proof that the Master Caster exists!164335

This is the stand under constructionhttp://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u435/smbeyer22/IMG_1280_zpswgacdkmg.jpg

And this is the finished stand164336

Tazza
03-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Looks awesome!

Now you have no excuse but to get into casting projectiles :) They are so easy to use, you don't get fatigued like you do with hand molds.

VHoward
03-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Sure you do. You just make a whole lot more bullets before you do get fatigued. That is a cool stand.

Tazza
03-23-2016, 11:47 PM
I found that my hands started cramping up using a lee six banger after about an hour, never happened with the MC.

I never spent a lot of time in front of my MC cranking away by hand, at most it would have been about 3 hours at a time i guess.

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-23-2016, 11:54 PM
I'm thinking a couple hours at a time. Heat up the pot. Go out after dinner and cast a few. Do that a couple nights a week and I'll have bunches of bullets!

Tazza
03-23-2016, 11:59 PM
That is basically what i did. Get home, heat pot, run what i can through, eat dinner then do a bit more.

It's not super fast, but 600 odd per hour, it doesn't take that long to replenish your stock pile.

allen16323
03-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Would love to see one of these beasts in the wild, been wanting one and the wife says go ahead. This would cripe the fun fund pretty good but would like to hands on with one to get a feel of what it is like before pulling the trigger. Are the bullet styles good for powder coating? Was also looking they don't offer a 147 .356 bullet, are other companies making compatible molds?

Lefty bullseye shooter
03-29-2016, 08:28 PM
Accurate will make anything you want within the confines of the abilities of his tooling which is all explained on his website.

Tazza
03-29-2016, 08:50 PM
I actually bought a .356 147gr mold off them, they cast at 149 for me. They are round nose flat point, apparently a copy of a jacketed hollow point.

They look awesome and shoot very well. I don't powder coat, i use a thermo-setting polymer, but it's pretty much the same deal. They size just fine after coating.

Seeing one in the wild would be ideal, but i really don't think you'd be disappointed getting one without. You can even automate it later on if you desired to.

OS OK
03-29-2016, 09:01 PM
I see that we share some other interest also…my shop is filled with the same tools…very nice work on that cabinet, not many know the time involved in proper cabinetry!

OS OK