PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh.........."sling mold"!

3006guns
03-10-2016, 04:59 PM
I just discovered something that I've never experienced before. I keep my military rifles in an insulated, locked closet. It's not heated but since it's located in the center of the house it gets heat. Never any rust or moisture issues, and I check on a regular basis.

Today I was rummaging around and noticed something "fuzzy" on the web sling of my Finnish M27. I picked the rifle up and saw MOLD....nice, fuzzy mold on the web! No sign of moisture or rust on any of the guns at all, but for some reason this sling decided to grow penicillin.

Now, the sling (along with the dog collars) came with a Mosin Nagant I bought a couple of years ago and is brand new. It showed no evidence of anything unusual at all and is the same as all the other slings imported with the M91/30's in the last few years.

So, opinions? Do I have a moisture or spoor problem in my closet, or is it possible that the growth was already inside the web waiting for a chance to "sprout". I'll be pulling all the guns out, cleaning and re-oiling in any case, just to be sure.

Wayne Smith
03-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Almost certainly already there. However, now that it has grown any other leather/fabric in the closet probably has it too.

3006guns
03-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Yup........checked again this afternoon and one of my 1903's has it on a very old leather sling. What's the best way to get rid of this stuff other than bleach, etc.? Exposure to sunlight perhaps? I could remove all the affected articles and wait for a good summer day.

Battis
03-11-2016, 12:21 AM
I had mold in my basement last year. I got prices to have it removed ranging from $3,500 to $16,000. I did some research and found that bleach is not good, but good old 20 Mule Team Borax and water is. I bought 2 boxes for about $2.50 each, and a sprayer. I emptied the basement and sprayed it, let it set, sprayed it again and the mold is gone. No vacuuming afterwards, just let it set. I started making my own laundry detergent out of Borax and soap.
I'd empty the closet, spray it, let it set, maybe spray it again. Wash the slings in Borax and water. Bleach is toxic, Borax isn't.
Ronald Reagan was right - Borax is good.

3006guns
03-11-2016, 07:40 AM
I had mold in my basement last year. I got prices to have it removed ranging from $3,500 to $16,000. I did some research and found that bleach is not good, but good old 20 Mule Team Borax and water is. I bought 2 boxes for about $2.50 each, and a sprayer. I emptied the basement and sprayed it, let it set, sprayed it again and the mold is gone. No vacuuming afterwards, just let it set. I started making my own laundry detergent out of Borax and soap.
I'd empty the closet, spray it, let it set, maybe spray it again. Wash the slings in Borax and water. Bleach is toxic, Borax isn't.
Ronald Reagan was right - Borax is good.

Great tip.........thank you. I'll start today.

lefty o
03-11-2016, 11:59 AM
never store leather slings etc with guns, bad combo!

tja6435
03-11-2016, 12:02 PM
You could get an ozone generator and run it for 20-30 minutes per day in the closet. Should nuke the mold out in a day or two. For sure don't over do the ozone, as it's rough on everything. But in small amounts it can sanitize areas.

Smoke4320
03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
You could get an ozone generator and run it for 20-30 minutes per day in the closet. Should nuke the mold out in a day or two. For sure don't over do the ozone, as it's rough on everything. But in small amounts it can sanitize areas.

if you run it too long would you help close the ozone hole ?

country gent
03-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Cabellas has a leather rejuvinator protectant in the shoe sectiion called obendorfers its in a black bottle ( at least the last one I bought was). Simple and easy to use you rub it into the leather and let it soak in. Water proofs and protects the leather. It may also help protect against mold and to keep it from forming in the future. It may also kill the spores by elimanating the air to them.

.455 Webley
03-11-2016, 05:20 PM
A trick that i use with leather and canvas that has mold or mildew issues is to apply some Listerine Mouth wash. Its worked on my granfathers K-bar and a Duluth pack that i got second hand. I use the original formula brown stuff soaking a rag and then giving the problem area a good wipe down. It seems to have no harmfull effect on what you wipe it on. The down side is it may take a couple of sessions with it to fully kill off whatever it is. Best of luck with your slings.

merlin101
03-11-2016, 07:47 PM
if you run it too long would you help close the ozone hole ?
Only if he uses a metric ozone generator.

Black Beard
03-21-2016, 10:12 AM
If you want to ensure you kill it, try benzalkonium chloride. Over here it is in path/patio cleaning solutions. This is nasty stuff if concentrated so you might want to dilute it a bit.

Long term, oil any leather in jojoba oil. It is a natural fungicide.

3006guns
03-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Never got back with the results on this..........

I removed the web sling and made a strong solution of Boraxo and water, then submerged the sling and scrubbed it for about five minutes. Hung it up to dry and there seems to be no ill effects, i.e. no shrinkage, etc. I removed the 1916 leather sling and gave it the same treatment..........and it dissolved in my hands! Not unexpected though as the poor thing had pretty much seen its last days anyway. Despite several oil treatments, the leather was dry and cracked around the brass fittings. Anyway, I salvaged all the fittings and threw the leather itself away.

No more mold or other nasties that I can see in my closet, but I'm going to install a small fan in order to keep the air circulating.