PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's bullet bag

RhodeHunter
03-10-2016, 04:20 PM
I made this bullet bag last weekend:
It's made of buckskin from the last deer I got. The stitching is simulated sinew from Track of the Wolf. The leather cinch thong I had from some repair I did on a baseball glove years ago; it looks too uniform and therefore modern and out of place. My possibles bag is a bit of the same problem, it's machine- stitched (because it's a woman's purse) and it shows. Also I think it would look better with small seashells replacing the white beads. It's such a mish mash of old and new. But it's all I have so far. I need to get a powder horn at some point.

The design of the bullet bag came from the July/August 1980 issue of Muzzleloader magazine:

Buckshot Bill
03-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Very nice, as long as it works for you that is the main thing. I personally don't get too caught up with "looking original" but I don't do any activities that require "correctness" so it's less of an issue for me.

Omnivore
03-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Looks good, Rhode. That thong looks just like the leather boot lace I use to carry my capper and powder measure.

waarp8nt
03-10-2016, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure about period correctness, but one can usually spot too uniform of stitching. I find it difficult to engineer error into my products as I am a little bit of a perfectionist too. One thing to keep in mind is most folks are not going to notice unless they do leather work, collect quilts or otherwise sew something. I had made a couple bullet bags with flat bottoms. The one you made looks simple enough and effective to use, so I am sure someone made them that way. I like the idea you used leather from your own deer, that gives the project a personal cool factor you could never get from just buying one from someone else's trade blanket.

RhodeHunter
03-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys. Posting this gave me an idea about the possibles bag. I could maybe remove the stitching/border and hand stitch it. We'll see. Take care.

Skypilot39b
03-11-2016, 10:51 AM
I like the boolit bag, I need to do one, I've got some scrap leather I bought from Hobby Lobby that should work, not as nice as my own deer hide but it should work.

fouronesix
03-25-2016, 09:58 AM
duckey, I think you were also interested in doing one of these. They do work very well! Here's one I did with a "spout" from old piece of deer antler. The long strap is optional and a bag without it may even be handier. The plug is of hardwood.

waksupi
03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
duckey, I think you were also interested in doing one of these. They do work very well! Here's one I did with a "spout" from old piece of deer antler. The long strap is optional and a bag without it may even be handier. The plug is of hardwood.

I always make mine with a piece of antler, also. I have one I made from beaver tail, too.

RhodeHunter
03-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Really nice! I wish I could have gotten that soft texture on my deer hide. Love the spout. Maybe this will be the year I get an antlered deer.