PDA

View Full Version : Call the Roll!

bruce drake
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Another Marine has reported for duty to guard the Gates of Heaven and St.Peter has a new Sergeant of the Guard.

My Father, Sergeant Major (Ret) Frank Francis Drake Sr. died yesterday morning in his sleep. He served 30 years from 1951 to 1981 in his beloved Marine Corps. Veteran of Korea and Vietnam, Holder of the Bronze Star for Valor and two Purple Hearts.

Never one to shirk from duty, he raised his five sons to all too love thier God, thier Country and our Corps. He loved his wife for 38 years and when the heart could no longer work on its own, he traded it in for a set of wings.

He taught me to fish and hunt and the love of the outdoors. He also taught me to always do the right things no matter the ultimate cost and for that I thank him and will think of him whenever I see my sons do something that I know would come from his voice whispering in their ear. "Do it boy, because your dad did it to me when he was your age."

Dad, I'll miss you but I'll know where to find you when it is my time.

Bruce

MT Gianni
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
You have my sympathy for your loss, Bruce. Also my admiration for the values he gave you. Gianni

jawjaboy
05-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Sad to hear of your loss Bruce. My heart is with you and yours.

eka
05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers Bruce

fatnhappy
05-03-2008, 06:40 PM
God bless him.

cobbmtmac
05-03-2008, 07:41 PM
bruce drake,

My sympathy to you and yours! Also please accept our thanks for your service as well as your fathers.

May peace be with you.

NVcurmudgeon
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Bruce, our heartfelt condolences for you loss, and our gratitude for two generations of USMC service.

10-x
05-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Bruce,
My Heart Felt Condolences to You and your Family. May God Grant you strength in this trying time.
Dave

DLCTEX
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
My condolences on your loss. You father did his duty for God, country, and family. May we all do as well. Our thanks to him and you. DALE

Sprue
05-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Condolences to you and the family.

I lost my dad 5 years ago this past March 1st. It only seems like yesterday. Nearly as day goes by that I don't think of him. Your fathers in great company sir!

sundog
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Bruce, my thoughts are with you.

My Mom and Dad both lay in a place of honor at the Fort Gibson National Cemetery. WWII shaped our nation, and so many have chosen to forget. They, like your parents, were Great Americans. I think about them often, and the sacrifices they made for us.

As for your Dad, the Corps is one less today. Hooah.

HABCAN
05-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Bruce, my sincere condolences to you and yours. Semper fi!

Rustyleee
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I am sorry for your loss. My own father was a WWII vet who passed on in 1973. I still miss him.

DanWalker
05-05-2008, 11:28 AM
"And when he gets to heaven,
St. Peter he will tell,
Another Marine reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell."

May God Bless him and keep him close.
It was his generation of Marines that set the standard for mine.
We looked up to them and held them in awe.
Each one is a link to a time that is too rapidly being forgotten.
It was a priveledge and an honor to wear the same uniform as men like him.
God Bless and SEMPER FIDELIS.

twotrees
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Bruce,

He's in good company and I'll bet his wings were issued with Dress Blues.

May God take him in his hand and keep all of you in his grace.

TwoTrees and RedFoxy (From Here in Ga)

bruce drake
05-27-2008, 12:55 AM
To everyone who posted on this thread, Thank You.

Dad's funeral was on the 12th and I am back in Iraq to serve out the last six months of this 15-month deployment.

I'll continue to post in the other threads of the forum. I can honestly state that I can close this thread knowing my father is in a better place for he believed in God and that Jesus was his Savior. For that, I am glad to know that I will see him again one day.

Thanks again,

Bruce