PDA

View Full Version : Reflecting On A Half Century Of Casting and Reloading

Char-Gar
03-10-2016, 01:50 PM
I started reloading in 1958 and bullets casting a year later, for just one reason and that was so I could shoot more. Even in those days of lower prices, factory ammo cost more than a kid could afford on a few part time jobs.

For the next 57 years, shooting and reloading has been my main hobby that took me away from a very active and often stressful work life. Of course family took precedent over the hobby, so the time spent shooting and loading was filled with meaning. There were the many guns I have owned, the friends I have shot and hunted with and the long hours in the shop assembling the best ammo I could.

Many of the guns are long gone as well as most of the friends. But the memories of the range and field are still vivid and filled with shining times. The casting of bullet, the sizing and lubing of the same, the trimming of cases, loading of ammo, smells of solvents and waxes, and the odor of burning gunpowder are each laden with good memories.

I have never wanted to add a motor to a tool, or buy a tool that did more than one function at one yank of the handle. I want to do things the old way, the same way as it was done when I was young, limber and could jump a four stand fence. You see, shop time is rich with memories, good memories. I don't want to shorten that memory time, but savor it an enjoy it as long as I can. There is time enough to pull the trigger, so there is no need rushing to it.

So, an old man still loads and shoots just as he did in the old days, not to be out of date, but to relive a rich and fond history of good guns, good friends and good times all around. The grave awaits us all and it is the journey to it that matters. If the journey has been a good one, there is no reason to rush through the memory.

brstevns
03-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Like he said!!

dondiego
03-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Well stated!

tazman
03-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I like that a lot.

Thumbcocker
03-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Eloquently stated and much appreciated.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
03-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Brought a happy tear to my eye !!!!!
Started with shotgun in '66' on a Thalson.And still have it,but use the MEC Jr. when I do anything now.
And only own single stage press' for ALL THE SAME REASONS. Thanks for sharing Char Gar.

Walter Laich
03-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Seeing as I'm just a whipper snapper compared to you (born in '46) I enjoyed your reflections.

I've gone a different way in that I like to maximize output per unit of time. With casting and all that entals and reloading for multiple fellow shooters I find that while I enjoy the experience I enjoy turning out product in large quantities.

Not saying you don't do these things but for me I like seeing what is new and trying it out--seeing if there is a new way to skin a cat or ice the puck (never did understand that term BTW)

I think that if each of us derives some form of happiness or satisfaction from this then we are doing what is right for us.

dverna
03-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Time is one thing you cannot make. For me, loading pistol ammo on a single stage press wastes a precious resource. I did it when I was poor. Will never do it again.

I do not own any pistol molds less than 4 cavities for the same reason.

Nothing wrong with your journey Char. In fact it has been a great one for you!! I have known the satisfaction of loading 4000 rounds in a day. Not better than your memories - just different.

jimb16
03-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Its like our first squirrel or our first deer. Especially if it fell to one of our handloads. Its something that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. I also fly fish and catching a big trout on a fly that you tied yourself can be just as memorable. Its that feeling of accomplishment and the ability to say "I did that!"

reddog81
03-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Sounds like enjoyable 57 years. Congratulations.

Gunslinger1911
03-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Lifting a beer for 57 more for you sir !

Catshooter
03-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Well written man, well said.

Cat

Possum Lickaa
03-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Yessir!

smoked turkey
03-11-2016, 02:17 AM
Char-Gar that is a fantastic way to look back at a life well lived. My hat is off to you. You have said it so well. I too enjoy the ride and am happy to move along this highway at a little less than the speed limit. I enjoy the whole process. I would not want to try to break it into smaller parts or smaller hobbies. For me the idea that has been put forth takes in everything from smelting to processing my own venison that I hunted and killed with a boolit I made, handloaded, and shot. Thanks for stating it so eloquently.

stubbicatt
03-11-2016, 09:58 AM
I like these posts. It is good that the old timers will take the time to share their experience and knowledge with the rest of us. It keeps the hobby alive.

Regards,
Stubb

woody1
03-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Amen Charles. I've told my wife on occasion that doing the "gun stuff" keeps me out of the bars and houses of ill repute. She just smiles and says, "Have fun dear." Regards, Woody

bangerjim
03-11-2016, 11:16 AM
A TOAST...........................:drinks:

.......to your casket:

May it be made of fine 100 year old oak...........and may they plant the tree today.

Walla2
03-11-2016, 05:28 PM
I've gone to more modern techniques and equipment for handguns primarily. But the most important to me also has been the shop time. I have about 45 years of reloading and I look forward to the shop time still. I looked forward to mentoring the young in the entire process, teaching, sharing, and exploring with them. I also look forward to the shop time with my wife who enjoys shooting as much as I do, but does less in the shop now. All good, great hobby, great companionship. Thanks for reminding me.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-11-2016, 10:40 PM
I started out with a Lyman round bottom pot, a dipper and a single cavity mold with handles; that was a very long time ago. Worked on a gas stove...no thermometers or hardness testers or bottom pours yet around. Regulated the temp with the size of the flame. No one to help me get it right so a lot of the early casting made lots of horrid mistakes. But I learned and got better to the point where I succeeded in making good casts that shot well in my $15. DCM O3-A3 first rifle. I learned to respect and appreciate (and afford) the progress made in casting equipment as it evolved to what it is today, but I never ceased to revere the good quality of what can be done with the old ladle way of casting good bullets. I have always remained grateful to those fine gentlemen who helped in the early years by giving their advice and helping us to make our way. LLS

lightman
03-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Well said. It fairly makes a guy reflect on his own loading career. I recently had the opportunity to buy out an old deceased guys loading room. Unfortunately me and the Son-in-Law were not able to agree on the value. But, it was like walking back in time. Targets and trophies from the 50's and 60's. Boxes of cast bullets made from the same mold expiermenting with different alloys, different lubes, even different diameters. All with hand written notes in the boxes. Vintage handgun boxes and rifle rest. I thought I could feel the old guys presence and I reflected on the amount of time that I have enjoyed being in my own loading room.

I've stepped up my game a bit. I still have the cast iron pot and Lyman dipper that I started casting with but I use a bottom pour pot now. I sometimes use electric or battery power to trim cases and a battery drill for neck turning. I use an electronic scale but I still have the original ballance beam.

Spector
03-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Yep. Well stated. Brings back many pleasant memories...........Mike

Bigslug
03-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I suppose this is where you and I differ, Char-Gar. My fond memories (COUGH!) are of beating out single rounds with a hammer on a Lee Loader, the backache that resulted from laboring hours to cast a decent number of plinking bullets from single cavity molds, and the physical pain and drudgery of trimming brass to length. As seems to be common among folks who have survived these death camp-like experiences, my attitude has become "NEVER AGAIN!"

I am known for not being a fan of the new and fancy, but don't have the time to flake out obsidian spear points either. If two processes produce equally good ammo, I will enjoy the process that hurts less and provides more product at the end of the time available. On this matter, I have to side with Josef Stalin - "Quantity has a quality all its own."

Don Fischer
03-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Other than for shotgun's I never used a progressive press until recently, it's in 9mm. My 32 long and 38 spec get done on my old single stage press. My kid thinks it's stupid to put in that much time! I tumble lub my 9mm and use a Lyman 450 for the other's. I like working my old 450.

I to can remember the day's we didn't have a lot. We used to bounce case bullet's off a table to check for hardness, what it showed I have no idea. And we got out tin from tooth paste tubes. Lead was always ww or lino.

Char-Gar
03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to read this and reply. I do want to make certain that everybody understands this post has nothing to do with how anybody or anything should be done. This was just a little peek into my world and was not a criticism on the world of anybody else.

Pb Burner
03-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Well written. Thanks for posting it.

Lead Fred
03-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Im still making them like my ole man showed me starting in 1961.

Using the same equipment

Blackwater
03-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Outstanding post, Char-Gar. We seem to have a number of things in common. I'll always remember my initial mentors, an old WWII vet that ran the local small telephone company, and an old local gunsmith that loved for young and avid shooters to stop in, even if they couldn't buy anything. He let us shoot his BkHk .45 LC and his little Ruger Std. Model .22 auto with the early Weaver red dot scope on it. MAN! Those things were like Heaven to us then! He showd us how to reload on his old Lyman T press. He wore "coke bottle" glasses that made his eyes look very large, but that wonderful smile on his face that went to the marrow of his bones kept him from looking intimidating. And he was a great shot, too, and many were the stories about the shots he'd made with his handguns. This was back when everybody locally looked down on pistols, and most people who carried them (I think because most didn't really know how to use them?). He'd take a Pepsi can, throw it out in the tall grass behind his house, and take that old .45 LC with 200 gr. SWC's he'd cast himself, and loaded with Unique, and after he'd thrown two or three of them out in the grass, he'd lean forward, and say he couldn't see them, and ask us to point them out to him. Once he got a location on them, he'd line up that old 7.5" barrel calmly and deliberately, and make that can dance a rather lively jig. Then he'd hand it to us and say, "Now you try it," always with that big smile on his face. The first time I ever shot a centerfire handgun was that old LC of his, and I hit pretty close with my first shot. He praised what I'd done and gave me a tip, and I fired again and got closer. He gave me another tip and I hit the can on that 3rd shot. He let me finish the cylinder full of 6 rds., and I was steppin' on clouds on my way home! And I believe he was even happier than I was! Men like that, who'll take the time, and enjoy doing so, with youngsters, are few and far between now.

I hate to post this, but I've had a few pretty haughty kids that seemed to be destined to go "the wrong way" ask me to teach them to shoot, and I've had to sit down with them and tell them why I wouldn't, but let them know that if they showed me some genuine reason to trust them, and how they'd use that skill, that I'd teach them to shoot like a real pro. Some took me up on it. Some didn't. It's a different world we live in today, and essentially, it's of our own making. Who else COULD have made it so?

But when a good kid shows interest in a gun, it's amazing how well and how profoundly they usually respond to a good sit down and shooting experience. Kids haven't lost their ability yet to be fascinated with "the little things" like so many "moderns" have today. And they CAN still learn the simple and exquisite pleasures of doing things the harder, old-fashioned way, and the benefits that come from real effort. It's the simplest of lessons, but it's amazing how easily it's learned when they're too young to have developed all sorts of excuses for doing it the more "modern" "down and dirty" way.

Many are so busy today, with work, family and whatever else they give their time to, that it's good we have the progressive presses, and a number of people I know have and love them, but I'm like you, and I'll stick with the old way. I just like it better. Something about it just appeals to me, and maybe it's just as simple as it's being a link with those who've gone before us and paved the way for us? Whatever it is, I've stuck with my old Reloader Special and have sold off 3 Rock Chuckers and several other "more advanced" presses. The only thing that requires much effort is resizing rifle brass, and I like it much better than the "stornger" presses simply because IF I lube the cases right, they're plenty easy enough to size, and if I don't, the stronger leverage of the RC press might just help me not notice it, and get a case stuck in the die. Having that happen early on, I do NOT want to do that EVER again! And that old RS press gives me more feedback, and thus, helps keep me more aware of whether or not I've gotten lazy or forgetful and need to check the lube on the cases.

Thanks for a great post, and for bringing to mind a little walk down memory lane with the old guys who helped me get started so long ago now.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Char, you have me beaten by a year. My reloading began in 1959, strangely enough with 20 gauge shotgun. I used one of those simple Lee type kits that used the bathroom scales to get the correct wad pressure. I would load several boxes of shells and my friend and I would go up into San Gabriel Canyon and shoot hand thrown clays. I would not try that today. My casting started shortly after with round ball for a muzzle loading rifle. I had to melt the lead on the kitchen stove. My sweetheart of a wife never complained although I am sure she had misgivings about it. I dreamed of owing a electric pot. Today I have four. I still load my ammo one at a time on a single stage press. I do have two Lyman with rotating die holders but I don't use them. I have two Rock Chuckers for loading rifle and pistol. I tried a Green Machine once on condition to buy. What a nightmare that was. A friend gave me a nib Lee Pro 1000. That was another nightmare. Those were my only sojourn into progressives. It has been fun and I have made countless friends over the years. Sadly, most of them gone now. One of the down sides of growing old. I still enjoy shooting my reloads in my collection single shot rifles and of course my wheel guns. I hope I can enjoy it for years to come.

bruce381
03-13-2016, 11:13 PM
thank you for writing this It makes me want to order a lee wack a mole loader and get an old tuna can and coleman stove to cast on.

StrawHat
03-14-2016, 07:40 AM
The first ammunition I reloaded was my muzzleloading rifle. The first cartridge stuff was probably the 32-20 or the 38 Special. The cartridges were done with a Lyman 310 and I still have a 310 set up for all of my cartridges except the 50-70. I have enjoyed life, shooting and hunting with friends and family. I now look at each reloading or casting session as if it may be my last one and enjoy it even more. Same thing with time afield, I go with the attitude I may not get to do this again and enjoy all the current sights and sounds, and memories of past outings.

Kevin

mold maker
03-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Char our dates and habits have almost paralleled, and like you I still use the first press I ever owned.
Thanks for the memories, that seem to slip into oblivion if not poked occasionally.

TenTea
03-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Mr. Char-Gar,
It is a true pleasure having you around here and thanks for your input, which is valuable to me.
Be Well...

Earlwb
03-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Char-Gar, thanks for the memories. It bought some of my old memories of reloading and casting bullets etc. I think one of the most fun things I did was making 12 guage blanks using black powder for the charge. Those were the most spectacular shells to fire off too. Loud didn't quite cover it. It did shake the windows good.

leeggen
03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Char-Gar I have not loaded as long as you but hope to last that long. I use the one stage Lyman press I bought many yrs ago. When I found this sight I read unbeleivable number of threads about casting for thr 40 S&W. Seems in everyone you were in there listing your experiances. Now I know how they came about , thanks for all the information and your experiance.
CD

Andy
03-14-2016, 11:19 PM
That was very well written and strikes me as full of sound wisdom, I hope to be able to write something like that in 40 years.

I will remember what you wrote here and try to keep it in mind when I am reloading and something goes wrong to keep me in the right frame of mind. It also makes me better about only having a single stage.

shoot-n-lead
03-14-2016, 11:41 PM
I suppose this is where you and I differ, Char-Gar. My fond memories (COUGH!) are of beating out single rounds with a hammer on a Lee Loader, the backache that resulted from laboring hours to cast a decent number of plinking bullets from single cavity molds, and the physical pain and drudgery of trimming brass to length. As seems to be common among folks who have survived these death camp-like experiences, my attitude has become "NEVER AGAIN!"

I am known for not being a fan of the new and fancy, but don't have the time to flake out obsidian spear points either. If two processes produce equally good ammo, I will enjoy the process that hurts less and provides more product at the end of the time available. On this matter, I have to side with Josef Stalin - "Quantity has a quality all its own."

I grew up with a father that insisted on doing everything with nothing but rudimentary tools. That went a long way toward forming my opinion about the way that I would do things when I was out and on my own. I have made it a point to have tools that rewarded a good effort with a reasonable amount of product. And, it has worked for me, just as your process has worked for you. I don't feel as either of our chosen processes has any merit over that of the other...we have just done things the way that was most satisfactory for us. In the end, that is all that counts...as there is not any profundity in either way.

Cheers!

OS OK
03-15-2016, 10:43 AM
It wasn't until 1972 when I got out of the Marine Corps that I 'eyed' my first Rock Chucker in a gun shop in So. Cal. and ask the owner…"What's that for?" He replied, "That's so you can roll your own." "Roll my own what?" I quipped…and that was the beginning of a new era in my life.
In 1959 I had no idea how to make boolits, Dad got all the rounds needed from the Harris County Sheriffs Office where he worked. I was busy back then at the neighbors garage learning how to use a cutting torch and Lincoln welder to make my own mini bike out of wheelbarrow wheels and used Briggs lawnmower engine. Oh we shot lots of 22's back then…it was a common sight to see kids headed for the woods at the end of the street with our single shot rifles in hand…many a squirrel paid the price.
Reading these posts leaves me thinking mostly about how lucky I was as a kid and teen to have grown up in a neighborhood where there were men who took the time to show me how to do something, men who had the specialty tools and were willing to teach any of us kids who showed an interest and were respectful enough to be included in the adult circles. Back then learning how to do things for yourself was the common practice…that's just how things were done. I wanted to learn it all because I knew that someday I would have my own shop, my own tools. I would be able to build my own wooden fishing boat, a go kart, a tree house or the Adirondack chairs that adorned many front lawn in the shade. Back then most of that sort of thing came out of a mans garage…not K-Mart or a big box store.
This thread leaves me thankful to those old retired factory workers who took me in…leaves me thinking how blessed I was to have had the opportunity to fulfill my 'bucket list' I had as a kid. It wasn't called a bucket list then it was called 'dreams' and I had a long list of them from the time I was young boy.
Today it is not just making ammo on that original Rock Chucker or the Lyman Turret or the LNL Auto…it's about the fact that I am 'able to do it for myself'…and to make rounds that are better than you can go and buy at the store…"If they have any in stock!"
Looking back from here…now I have become one of those old retired men who have had his share of young apprentices…I have passed it on also.

Good thread! Good memories too!…OS OK

W.R.Buchanan
03-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Charles: just keep makin' those memories. No need to quit now.

I look at myself in the mirror every morning and say "I look better than I did yesterday",,, Even though my friggin hair keeps getting thinner.

But the girls still like me so I guess it's OK.

Randy

Char-Gar
03-15-2016, 11:25 AM
I started reloading with a Pacific Super C, which was the press that everybody I knew used. It didn't take long to get a craving for an RCBS A2, but they were beyond my reach. I still use a Pacific Super C and about 7 years ago bought an RCBS A2. I also have a few old pre-war Pacific Cs, a Redding turrett and a Lyman Tru-Line Jr. I have far more than I need, but like the old stuff.

OS OK
03-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Gar…
Show me a Lee 1000 or whatever they call it that is still running in 40 years and I'll show you a press that stayed in the box and never was used!

Old school, old presses, old guns, old men…it all looks good from here!

Char-Gar
03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Gar…
Show me a Lee 1000 or whatever they call it that is still running in 40 years and I'll show you a press that stayed in the box and never was used!

Old school, old presses, old guns, old men…it all looks good from here!

Those two black Pacifics shown are from the mid-1930s. They still works as good as new after 80 years. One is dedicated to 44 Spl/Mag and the other 45 Auto Rim. They use the old solid shell holder rams. My newer Pacific Super C (not shown) is from the early 50s and I have a modern removable shell holder in it. Mostly it gets used for 45 Colt. All rifle loading is done on the RCBS A2. The A2 is cast steel and not iron and from the late 50's or early 60's.