PDA

View Full Version : Leverevolution in 30/30

rjathon
03-10-2016, 01:27 PM
I've read that with the superb 165 Ranch Dog with LVR one should start out at about 33 gr and work your way up to a max of 40 gr to find out how hard you can push them.

If one works from the premise that they want adequate velocity but long case life, with long case life being the main objective, what amount of LVR would you recommend?

Has anyone chronographed the velocities with those charges?

Thank you.

Shuz
03-12-2016, 03:31 PM
34.5g of Leverevolution and the 165g RD gives me 2330fps and Sd of 10. Boolits were heat treated to Bhn 22. Accuracy was good. A/c boolits did not group as well.

TXGunNut
03-13-2016, 12:48 AM
Pretty sure 40 grs is a bit more than prudent but LVR powder likes to go fast in this cartridge and the RD boolit is up to it as well. As Shuz mentioned HT'ing is necessary when you push them this fast, at least IMHO. Quite honestly I haven't had much luck with this combo but it seems to be a fit issue in my case and I'll try again another time.
Long case life may have more to do with sizing methods and chamber dimensions, 30WCF cases are still pretty cheap and easy to find. If you're looking for a mild plinking load I don't think LVR is what you're looking for.

rjathon
03-14-2016, 06:35 PM
34.5g of Leverevolution and the 165g RD gives me 2330fps and Sd of 10. Boolits were heat treated to Bhn 22. Accuracy was good. A/c boolits did not group as well.

Super. That is more than enough. I might back it off a tad.

Thank you.