PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL550

badgeredd
05-03-2008, 12:12 PM
OK, ole wise ones, enlighten me (says grasshopper). What is the difference between a RL550 and the RL550B? Thinking about getting a used RL550 that is in very good condition but the price isn't a whole lot less than a new RL550B without the cartridge conversion. Any thoughts?

38 Super Auto
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=169464

badgeredd
05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=169464

THANKS! Exactly what I wanted to know. Now I need to convince the Missis that it is a necessity!:-D

No_1
05-03-2008, 08:14 PM
It is a good press in either version. Off the top of my head all I offer is if you can pull together the cash for a version that is less than current (and only slightly less costly than new) I suggest you save a little longer and get one that is new. I have the "B" model. It is maybe ~15 years old. I have had very few problems with it and any that I have had were easily taken care of with a call to Dillon. The standard model can be upgraded to the new one with a shipment to the factory but why spend the same money as a new one to get an old one that is factory rebuilt (not that factory rebuilt is bad).

R.

RFWobbly
05-04-2008, 08:45 AM
The standard model can be upgraded to the new one with a shipment to the factory but why spend the same money as a new one to get an old one that is factory rebuilt.

I'm with no_1. Given there is little difference in price, personally I'd prefer a new one with the primer buzzer, all new powder slides, and other modern refinements. Remember that your acquaintance, probably paid 1980's prices, or bought it more recently to flip. If he thinks he can sell it for more than he paid, or can make big bucks on a flip.... well, he can if he goes though the trouble of selling on FleaBay. By buying at his asking price, you're actually robbing him of a unique hair-pulling experience which includes dead beat bidders, 300 flaky questions from people who don't bid, winners who don't pay for 2 months, and then of course the cost of selling which can only be calculated after the auction.

In short, you'd be doing this person a dis-service and robbing him/her of a true life-changing, personal growth experience. :-D

So do yourself a favor, save your money, buy the new one from a local merchant and you'll get the new tool set, all the primer pick-up tubes with new tips, all-new documentation, tight-fitting powder slides, etc., etc. and no lost or broken parts.

badgeredd
05-05-2008, 11:54 AM
... you're actually robbing him of a unique hair-pulling experience which includes dead beat bidders, 300 flaky questions from people who don't bid, winners who don't pay for 2 months, and then of course the cost of selling which can only be calculated after the auction.

In short, you'd be doing this person a dis-service and robbing him/her of a true life-changing, personal growth experience. :-D

So do yourself a favor, save your money, buy the new one from a local merchant and you'll get the new tool set, all the primer pick-up tubes with new tips, all-new documentation, tight-fitting powder slides, etc., etc. and no lost or broken parts.

Thanks all. Love the logic RFWobbly! I went to ebay to see what the 550 ( in either version) were bringing just to satisfy my curiosity, and lo and behold some fool paid about $20 less than new price from Dillon for a 550B. Not at all smart! I mistated what my friend has but it really doesn't matter because you all make sense in saying to just go ahead and go with a new one. Good advice and I kinda thought the same myself but wanted some feed back from you all. Thanks again.
Edd

unclebill
05-05-2008, 08:12 PM
i just paid $400 +shipping for a used one sight unseen(except for photos)
BUT
here is what came with mine.
Dillon RL550b press
auto powder measure
auto primer alarm
4 primer tubes and extra parts
.38 dies
.357 dies
.45 acp dies
30/06 dies
.308 dies
.30 carbine dies
.44 mag dies
.32 S&W Dies
9mm dies
.223 dies
7.62X39 dies
.380 ACP dies
13 die stands
13 tool heads
trays, bolts, wrenchs, Cover for press,
2 handles for press. Instruction manual.

13 die tool heads

i have never seen one of these presses in real life so as a fairly new reloader i am going to have my hands full for a while.
wish me luck.
i have noticed this site has a ton of really helpful souls on it.
please bear with me if i ask what seems like dumb questions!

bill

p.s. the man just emailed me
he found the dillon case length gauges and a set of 8mm dies he tossed in as a freebee.

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
that would have been a good deal even without the 550!!

unclebill
05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
well thats always good to hear!
i do know this guy from another forum.
we have talked on the phone.
last Xmas he sent me some hornady XTP 300 gr. bullets for my raging bull as a gift.
real nice guy and i trust him implicitly

unclebill
05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
p.s. everything is dillion.

No_1
05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Bill and welcome to the site. I am one of those helpful souls and I would like to help you out that deal.....
Just kidding buddy. You came out ahead on that. I look forward to your post.

R.

[QUOTE=billhedges;334121]i have noticed this site has a ton of really helpful souls on it.
QUOTE]

RFWobbly
05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Badger -
I researched my 550B purchase fairly thoroughly and I think I got it right. I was reloading 2 calibers and had a chance at a third fairly soon. Here's what I ordered...
• 550B press w/ 1 caliber kit
• 2 spare tool heads (1 comes with machine)
• 1 extra caliber kit
• 2 spare powder drops (1 comes with machine)
• 1" hex nut kit with wrench (almost required due to the tight die spacing)

What I did NOT buy:
• Strong Mount - This is really only needed if your loading bench is low. The machine works best if the base is at a height of about 30".
• Bullet Tray - I prefer the cost and feel of a padded blue Styrofoam mushroom container
• Roller Handle - Those make it easy if you're already laying in your coffin, I'm not quite there yet :wink:
• Maintenance Kit - I asked a pal who's owned one since the late 80's and he's never needed any of that stuff!

You can then look for a second powder dispenser and more tool heads on Ebay. Buy any condition you can find because repair parts are free for any Dillon equipment, regardless of who broke it or who originally bought it.

Hope this helps!

RFWobbly
05-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I just paid $400 +shipping for a used one sight unseen

Bill -
That's quite a deal. Congratulations on a real find!

Badger -
Just goes to show, there are good deals out there, but they always come through a "friend of a friend".

broomhandle
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Bill,

You did REAL WELL!
If you want to part with some of the die sets you can sell them here!

Dillon has a vidio for $10-15 that leads you through the set up and running of the press.
Hell it is on line someplace do a few google searchs you will find it. Check the Dillon site it might be there. It has been a while.
If you have ANY Questions Dillon has a toll free #800-762-3845 the guys are SUPER with clear instructions..
Read the instructions with the press a few times to get to know the press. no instructions Dillon will send you a set for FREE!

PLEASE remember to remove the case under the powder measure FIRST if you go to adjust or clear some thing.
Go slowly at first till you get the feel of it. Many guys recomend making 100 cses/bullets up single stage to get the feel of the press.

I normally make about 350-400 a hour no need to be a speed demon.

Best to you,
broomhandle

Have a good light set in a way that you can see into the powder filled case to make sure you don't double charge 38-357- 44- 45 long Colt

unclebill
05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
broomhandle,
i cant sell those dies here yet.
i saw what terrible fate awaits those who try to sell stuff before they get 25 posts!(snicker )
ok back to reality.
about 2 years ago i decided to start reloading because i got tired of back ordered ammo.
so i bought a lee anniversary kit and some reloading manuals.
i used that for a while and then lucked out and got a lyman all american press with all the fixins.(all the accessories were RCBS)
for $273
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/davesdrive099-7.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/davesdrive100-7.jpg
THEN i wanted to pick up the pace because i realized i hadnt fired my S.A. 1911A1 in months because it took so long to reload what i fired in seconds.
so i lucked into the DILLON deal.
the shipping will probably be about $150 because it is coming from anchorage AK.
here are the pics he sent me of the press.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/MVC-006S.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/MVC-005S.jpg
i am pretty excited about this.

unclebill
05-05-2008, 10:57 PM
he told me the stuff has white dust all over it.
so i will have to clean it up.
oh the crosses i must bear!:rolleyes:

unclebill
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
mebbe i'll paint it red and put LEE stickers on it.
that'll give some of my buddies cardiac arrest!

unclebill
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
BTW i found that 5 part video series on youtube that shows how to setup and use this press.
VERY informative!

swabbie
05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
that is a great deal....I've got most of those calibers for my 550 and it's taken me 10 years to buy them all.:-D

unclebill
05-11-2008, 09:59 PM
steady there swabbie!
i am trying to find something to mount it to.
an old desk or something.
i tried to keep my gun stuff out of the rest of the house.
but i am out of room.
it's going in the living room!
theres plenty of space in there.
once i ditch the couch....
good thing im single....

runfiverun
05-12-2008, 12:06 AM
billy
you are getting too close to the casting equipment.
you cannot make" fire in the snow, with lead"

unclebill
05-12-2008, 11:35 PM
I Am Trying To Keep The Snow Fires At A Minimum.

unclebill
05-20-2008, 12:28 AM
well here she is.
i havent loaded anything yet but i did get it real close to ready.
$550 grand total.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zdillon002.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zdillon001.jpg

scrapcan
05-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Bill nice buy and nice setup. you will be loading in no time. What was the final list of calibers and what do you have you want to trade for something else?

No_1
05-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice deal Bill! You certainly got some nice stuff. Most of those cartridges are the usuall stuff and are great for a starter set. Looking at your other post I see you have figured out about swapping different shellplates / pins / powder funnels to make what you want. I made a chart in excel that works for me.

R.

BTW, I would have bought that set-up in a heartbeat, good catch!

swabbie
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I've owned my 550 for 8 years and haven't accumulated that much stuff....don't leave home for very long:mrgreen:

unclebill
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Bill nice buy and nice setup. you will be loading in no time. What was the final list of calibers and what do you have you want to trade for something else?

thanks for the kind words.

8mm dies
.38 dies
.357 dies
.45 acp dies
30/06 dies
.308 dies
.30 carbine dies
.44 mag dies
.32 S&W long Dies
9mm dies
.223 dies
7.62X39 dies
.380 ACP dies
13 die stands
13 tool heads

13 die tool heads

303 brit

45 long colt
454 casull
dies

i dont need
30 carbine
32 s&w long

i need the plate and the funnel for
45 long colt

unclebill
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
p.s.
i ended up with dies for every caliber of firearm i own except 7.62x54r
i NEVER thought that would happen!

unclebill
05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
billy
you are getting too close to the casting equipment.
you cannot make" fire in the snow, with lead"

i am never going to live that down...am i?

p.s. everybody i ended up dumping powder in the wrong container and throwing the whole batch out in the yard and lighting it.
so i made fire in the snow.:roll:

miestro_jerry
05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I have two 550Bs and a SDB, both are champs in my book. I started with a 450B. Plus I have a Rock Chucker for a single stage press.

These have not failed me ever and the Dillons have a no BS warranty.

Jerry

unclebill
05-24-2008, 08:25 AM
well they must be OK if you have TWO of em jerry!
Ive got in addition to the Dillon an old Lyman all American turret and a lee single stage.
Ive got the evolution of my reloading hobby bolted to benches in my reloading room. :drinks:

p.s. that Lyman is one solid piece of machinery.
it's probably as old as i am and i am turning Grey.

Down South
05-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I bought my first Dillon RL 550B just a few months ago. I bought it new. I'm using my RCBS and Lee dies and it does a good job. You made a great deal with all of the extras that you got.

unclebill
05-24-2008, 11:11 AM
dillon 1st impressions.
OK i set it up for 45acp.
and made 5 rnds.
this thing is a piece of cake to operate.
i only made 5 because i want to see how my 1911a1 likes this ammo.
i did it as slowly as i could so i could very carefully make sure everything was hunky dory.
it was.
i have never fired lead through this pistol but these rnds. feed through it just fine.
if these work well i am going to load up the other 995 bullets.
there was a tiny amount of lead shaving.
i think it may be inconsistency in the bullets.
this camera takes some dandy pictures!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/AAADILLON001.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/AAADILLON002.jpg

unclebill
06-02-2008, 07:45 AM
the plate is on it's way.
it should be here today.
yep this is pretty cool!