PDA

View Full Version : Which reloading manual for best 380 cast data

mjwcaster
03-10-2016, 10:21 AM
I need to get some more reloading manuals with data for cast, specifically 380.

I currently have a couple of versions of Lyman (47th & 49th)

With my still limited powder availability I am having issues finding load data that will work for 380.

I plan on getting the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook, any other recommendations?

Also all I have available for possible suitable powders is Universal and Titegroup for the 380.
Hodgdon does not even list cast data for the 380 for either of these.

Lyman 49 at least has a Titegroup load for 90gr cast, can make that work for my current 95gr coated, but I like to have multiple sources of data and choices of powder.

Thanks,

Matt

rwadley
03-10-2016, 10:54 AM
I would recommend getting a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (the 4th edition has the latest powders, but some of the other editions are better in other ways), but you can check out the reloading pages of MD Smith. http://www.reloadammo.com/380auto.htm There is a lot of load data on the web, but he usually has references for his data (often dated, but at least one time recommended by reputable sources). There are some drawbacks to using old data, so use your best judgement. For instance, the manufacturer may change the formula (Nitro100) or they may no longer recommend the powder for certain applications (Blue Dot and Accurate #2).

In general, I also recommend getting a copy of the RCBS Cast Bullet book and Pet Loads by Ken Waters. You may also find the Lasercast and Lee books useful.

rwadley
03-10-2016, 03:50 PM
I looked at my copies of Lyman 49th and Cast Bullet Handbook 4th. The data is the same except that the Cast Bullet Handbook also has data for Lee 356-102-1R.

Hodgdon did list .380 ACP Titegroup (and Autocomp) data for 95 grain cast bullets in their 2014 Annual Manual.

jcren
03-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Do you have WST available?

gwpercle
03-10-2016, 04:18 PM
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks, 3 rd and 4 th editions and the LEE guide are truthfully about the only thing readily available for cast boolits. I have a RCBS Cast Bullet Manual , but they are long out of print . The older Speer and Hornady manuals had some cast boolit loads listed , now they seem to focus on the J-words they sell. I buy old manuals whenever I see them.
Smart move having several sources of data....it's never all in one book or site.
Gary

mjwcaster
03-10-2016, 11:48 PM
No wst, what I have is what I have been able to find on the shelves at cabelas.
I need to find more local stores that carry reloading supplies.
But even the old shops do not carry much/any powder any more.

Can't make it to fun shows due to working most weekends.

I now have a better idea of what I want, so that a larger online order makes sense.

jcren
03-11-2016, 12:51 AM
Most fast powders can work, 2.2 of WST or 2 of WSF are good for 800 fps with the Lee 95 rf. Bullseye, red dot, autocomp and cfe pistol all work well (auto comp is tops for velocity vs pressure, but takes about 3.8 g for a max load) what powders do you have available and what bullet? Most of us have pet sorces if we know what to look for.

Outpost75
03-11-2016, 11:57 AM
What pistol are you shooting it in? In my Ruger LCP I use Accurate 35-122T with 2.5 grains of Bullseye.

Shiloh
03-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Bullseye, Red Dot, 231, AA#2.
http://www.reloadammo.com/380auto.htm

Some data for you. Use as a guide only. Verify.

SHiloh

gwpercle
03-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 3 rd Edition has data with Tightgroup for 90 grain and 102 grain boolits, by doing a little extrapolation for a 95 grain boolit I come up with a :
starting load of 2.3 grains
maximum load of 2.6 grains

I would start at 2.3 and work up slowly.

Gary

jsizemore
03-13-2016, 11:28 AM
RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 has load data for 4 different boolits. One boolit uses 8 different powders. Weighing 2 grains of powder looks to be a challenge....

mjwcaster
03-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Currently shooting a Taurus TCP.
Planning on getting an ruger lcp now that prices have dropped on them.
A custom if they become available cheap again.

Looks like I will go with the titegroup for now, since I have load data in my manual.

Hoping to get some test loads worked up today for a range trip tomorrow.

Unless my daughter still wants to go fishing when she gets home from her sleepover.
Nice rainy spring day, good one for a first trip of the year.
And hanging with her trump's just about anything.

Best plan is she takes a nap, I reload and then we go fishing.
I could even function test the reloads if we fish at the gun club.

Should be a fun day tomorrow, going shooting with the wife and shop owner.

Have the wife's new shield, and a couple of guns from the shop, a new Dan Wesson in 38 super and a new custom 1911 from a local manufacturer to try out.
Plus some rifle shooting.

Shaping up to be a great year.

gwpercle
03-14-2016, 08:07 PM
RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 has load data for 4 different boolits. One boolit uses 8 different powders. Weighing 2 grains of powder looks to be a challenge....

I looked at mine ...good data , just none for Tightgroup or Universal , those powders hadn't been invented in 1986.
This is one reason I try to stick with powders like Unique , 231 , HP38 , Red Dot , Bullseye , 700X and 2400, these powders have been around a long time and you can find data even in a manual dated from the 1960's .
I have several powders no longer in production and little or no data for...I stopped buying every new one that would come out and be touted as the miracle powder that gave one hole groups at 100 yards with a hand gun and iron sights....they lied.
Gary

Blackwater
03-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Loading data is where you find it, but with small ones like the .380, pay particlar attention to the OAL's listed, and if the OAL isn't listed, be VERY careful about substituting differing bullets. In that small case, the distance the shank of the bullet sitting down inside the case can vary enough to make a std. load with one bullet a +P+ with another bullet that sits lower in the case. And whenever you get data off th' 'net, be SURE you compare it to other available data BEFORE you go trying it, and if it's significantly above what responsible sources like Lyman et all post, then let discretion be your guide and caution your byword. Lots of data out there that COULD and just MIGHT get you in trouble. Nobody wants to lose a hand or anything else, even a good gun.

rwadley
03-15-2016, 11:48 AM
To be fair, they weren't invented when Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 3rd Edition came out either.

I looked at mine ...good data , just none for Tightgroup or Universal , those powders hadn't been invented in 1986.
This is one reason I try to stick with powders like Unique , 231 , HP38 , Red Dot , Bullseye , 700X and 2400, these powders have been around a long time and you can find data even in a manual dated from the 1960's .
I have several powders no longer in production and little or no data for...I stopped buying every new one that would come out and be touted as the miracle powder that gave one hole groups at 100 yards with a hand gun and iron sights....they lied.
Gary

w5pv
03-15-2016, 02:59 PM
I use 2.1 grain of Titegroup under an 102 grain lRN.Does good for my purposes.I have put down a couple of raccoons,squirrels and a number of birds with the load with no problems at all.