PDA

View Full Version : New Mold Whacker

Friar_Tuck
03-10-2016, 12:40 AM
It always seems to work this way. You look all over for some good grained lumber when building a fancy project but can not find any. The other day at the hunting shack I was splitting some dry ash firewood, and figured I would keep a chunk to make into a mold whacker. Just some old firewood,for a project that would get beat up right away. So I brought it home and turned it up, and you might know, it has a beautiful quilted grain. It was hard to smack the mold with it the first few times. But I guess you might as well enjoy nice looking wood, even if you are going to beat it up.
Jim

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/Friar_Tuck_/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160309_223142_zpsbymniufp.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Friar_Tuck_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160309_223142_zpsbymniufp.jpg.html)

Mica_Hiebert
03-10-2016, 01:29 AM
nice tire thumper you got there.

Rustyleee
03-10-2016, 01:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing. There's a whole bin full of them at the Flying J truck stop.

chsparkman
03-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Nice. You don't see ash with figure very often.

Friar_Tuck
03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Exactly, you might know I would find it in the firewood pile.
Jim

Hardcast416taylor
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
I never found the need to beat on my molds with about anything.Robert

Le Loup Solitaire
03-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Nowadays they are referred to and sold as a "mold mallet". It is not necessary to "beat" on a mold to cut the sprue. A tap or two is usually sufficient...if not then there is some other problem. Many casters use their gloved hand and get good results. A tire thumper is kind of big for the operation. I still have a wooden (ash) dowel of 1 and 1/4" diameter that I one turned on the lathe...it is around 9 inches long and has lasted 40 years. I have also used a rawhide mallet, a plastic mallet and a small wooden mallet...all with success and never any harm to the molds that I use. LLS

Sghinds
03-11-2016, 10:05 AM
That is a pretty piece of wood. I use a Lee one I got in a package deal, once it finally dies, I plan on buying a nice one.

Friar_Tuck
03-11-2016, 05:15 PM
The picture may be a bit deceiving, it is probably 9" long and 1.5" across on the big end. I do like the term "mold mallet" as it is a better description of the way it is used.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-11-2016, 05:40 PM
I split lots of Ash for firewood, it's one of the predominant trees in my area. There is always figure near the crotches. It can be plainly seen when splitting. Many times, I wish I had a project for a chunk of figured wood that's less than 16 inches long :(

JWT
03-11-2016, 10:33 PM
The ash tree that contributed the wood for these saw handles came from my back yard. It was ash borer killed.

Friar_Tuck
03-12-2016, 01:28 AM
The ash tree that contributed the wood for these saw handles came from my back yard. It was ash borer killed.

Very nice indeed!

StuBach
03-13-2016, 08:05 AM

Those are beautiful.

Ole Joe Clarke
03-16-2016, 10:06 PM
I use a piece of a shovel handle or some such. It's lasted a long time. Not pretty either. I wouldn't want to use that nice piece of wood.

Garyshome
03-16-2016, 10:15 PM
That thing looks pretty good for concealed carry.

hutch18414
03-17-2016, 01:00 AM

Beautiful work! Gotta love a good piece of ash.

Petrol & Powder
03-17-2016, 09:02 AM

RECYCLING ! See, you're greener than you thought!

OS OK
03-17-2016, 09:34 AM
I hope that your wife doesn't find it…next time you give her any lip and…WHACK!

You'll know how the 'poor little mold' feels!

Hamish
03-17-2016, 10:57 AM

Exactly.

Whack your tires, not your moulds,,,,,,,,. (Think about it, what you're whacking is not the spruce plate, it's the bushing/and or the spruce plate bolt.). How is many times does it take hitting off center of throw to warp the spruce plate up off the blocks? I used to whack, but once you get into the habit of breaking the spruce with hand pressure, it's really quite liberating.

Nice turning though!

JWT, nice to see another Galoot,,,,,,well done on the saws!

Bruntson
03-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Nice! Ash is the perfect wood to use as a mold tapper. Ash is used in baseball bats and as tool handles because of its strength and fine grain.

Don Fischer
03-17-2016, 12:29 PM
I just use a piece of fir wrapped with Electric tape. It's about had it and I'm going to a hammer handle a friend was good enough to break for me. I don't know about just a couple of taps. I run extra lead over the top of each hole, seem's to eliminate some of the bullet's I used to get with a little hole in the base.

I was going to say, over in the valley we have a lot of white oak, bet that stuff would work pretty well.

Friar_Tuck
03-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Not sure I could do the 4 holer by hand, but I may give it a try some time.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-17-2016, 09:54 PM
There are a number of hardwoods that will also do a good job as mold mallets/tappers. Oak-red or whilte, hickory, walnut, elm, maple, ash, lignum vitae(if you can find it) and sycamore. Pieces do not have to be round...square or close to it will do the job. 2 holers may need some more work, 4 and 6 cavs for sure. LLS

EDG
03-17-2016, 11:52 PM
You can sometimes find those give away kiddie baseball bats at thrift stores for next to nothing. They are made of ash or birch and work well after shortening.

facetious
03-18-2016, 03:41 AM
I use the end of a old hatchet handle. About a foot long, wrap the thin part with tape and hit with the fat end. Have had it for over 30 years and should last me the rest of my life. For the most part I just use a gloved hand to cut the sprue.

JWT
03-18-2016, 10:39 PM

I didn't make the handles, just provided the wood. The saws were made by Adria Tools in Canada. http://adriatools.com/

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-21-2016, 02:54 AM
I have an "All Purpose Ford Tool", aka a four pound baby sledge. I paid three bucks years ago for a spare handle. I use two molds to cast and regulate speed, so pushing sprue plates is a no go for me.

Big Dog
03-21-2016, 11:01 PM
for less than $5.00 I ordered this along w/ a few other things to spread out the shipping costs per item

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3656/=11n5jl0

Impact-Resistant UHMW Polyethylene Rod, 1-1/2" Diameter, 1 ft. Length

David2011
03-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Not sure I could do the 4 holer by hand, but I may give it a try some time.

If you use sprue plate lube (some kind of very high temp oil, do a little searching) you can push the sprue plate open before the lead fully freezes. The lube prevents the dreaded lead smear.

David

W.R.Buchanan
04-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Tuck: That's too nice to open moulds with, and especially when you can buy a new Hammer Handle for $3. I believe I would put that thumper in the door pocket of my car. I doubt you would hurt it much busting heads? Needs a Lanyard.

Randy

Oklahoma Rebel
05-23-2016, 01:16 PM
I guess I am cheap, I just use a little 12" wood stake to tap my plates

country gent
05-23-2016, 01:32 PM
I started using a small plastic cap hammer a few years ago for a mould tapper.It works very good and is handy as all get out. I tried it after reading Steve Brooks recomendations on his mould website. Its a nice way to go I tap the spru open with it then hinge pin to open and drop bullet set mould on edge of paint pan to close hook the spru plate with inside edge of hammer head and close it . 2 light taps on mould mounting to insure blocks are fulley closed and refill.

Budzilla 19
05-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Used a piece of shovel handle for years, then bought one of Duke's tappers,(the cause was dear to my soul due to my sons death), I don't use the handle much any more now!! Liked it so good, bought one also for a local caster too! On the double cavities, I just time the cut of the sprue plate just right and cut using my hand pressure, then tap mold to release boolit.All other molds are Lee six cavities so only tapping is to release boolits from mold. I guess whatever is familiar to you is what you use! Just my .02.

Walter Laich
05-24-2016, 09:23 AM
...All other molds are Lee six cavities so only tapping is to release boolits from mold...
+1
Lee's work well for me with a few adjustments

robg
05-24-2016, 03:04 PM
I've got a small nylon ended hammer I've used since my old chair strut eventually failed.

JimB..
05-24-2016, 05:15 PM

JWT, your saws look sad, they want to be used!

I have just one of his little dovetail saws, cuts as good as it looks.

BILLYBOB44
05-24-2016, 05:37 PM
This works for me=Broken Hickory handle from a 4# Ball peen hammer works fine..Bill.

reddog81
05-25-2016, 11:56 AM
I just use some scrap 2x2's or something of similar diameter for the first couple of hits. Once the mold and sprue plat are warmed up I just use my hand and a thick glove.
I find it easier and quicker to just use my hand. Additionally you aren't beating on your sprue plate.

BOSCHLOPER
06-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Ash is a beautiful wood. The Mrs. has a rolling pin that my dad made for her as a wedding present. Not sure what he was thinking, but we just had our 33rd anniversary and she hasn't used it on me yet...She does make great Christmas cookies with it. My mold mallet is a piece of a broken pool stick that I found in an alley behind a bar in Golden Colorado. I wish it could talk.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Sad to say but ash also makes the very best fire wood. There is even a poem about it, I don't remember the words.

Tonto
06-26-2016, 09:56 PM
The Firewood PoemBeechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

William Yanda
06-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Well said Tonto.
I only had heard; Ash dry or ash green, makes a fire fit for a queen.
The older generation had a lot of wisdom that is being lost through disuse.

Chill Wills
06-27-2016, 07:59 AM
My mold mallet is a piece of a broken pool stick that I found in an alley behind a bar in Golden Colorado. I wish it could talk.

Yeah, The Ace High Bar.

I just use a gloved hand. Even on the four and six cavity molds. For what ever reason, I am able to just twist them off while pushing down the plate so I get a flat base and not a bump.
I buy a lot of used molds and pass of a lot that have been beat to death!

Gliden07
07-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Very nice!! I have an old cut off Orr handle and a piece of Maple stick I kept from a trip out to the wood pile.

Dragonheart
07-04-2016, 04:02 PM
I used the ends of old oak shovel handles also. I drill a hole in the top a few inches deep then bell bottom the hole somewhat. Then I fill the hole with lead. It adds the necessary weight to gently tap the mold open with less effort. A wrap or two of duct tape around the top extends the life of the tapper and cushions the blow. Or you can dip the top in some of the liquid plastic products. Slipping on some rubber HVAC insulation and taping it down makes for a cushioned handle.

Sur-shot
07-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Started out years ago using a round ball paean hammer handle, the carpenter's hammer handle has too many edges for my taste. Then one day discovered that my shop leather mallet makes a dandy sprue plate mover and I have use the same leather mallet now for well over 40 years.
Ed

jhalcott
07-12-2016, 09:21 PM
When I was younger I would break the stories off by a gloved hand. These arthritic old hands have trouble just holding the mold!

Dragonheart
07-13-2016, 11:43 AM
When I was younger I would break the stories off by a gloved hand. These arthritic old hands have trouble just holding the mold!

Believe me, I know what you mean.

Drm50
07-13-2016, 08:12 PM
I have used a old handle off a two man cross cut saw for 40 yrs.

3006guns
07-14-2016, 02:04 PM
I picked up a box full of new hickory hammer handles years ago.......for free! I've been using one for a sprue plate tapper for over ten years now and have yet to pull another one out of the box. As mentioned, a couple of moderate taps is all that's necessary......just the way I learned over 40 years ago.

dikman
07-14-2016, 06:41 PM
I made a small mallet from laminated Australian Oak (pretty hard wood), turned on the lathe. I faced it with a piece of very hard leather - drive belt from an overhead system, maybe? - to absorb a bit of impact. Works well for me.

slug
07-19-2016, 10:25 PM
In the winter, there are lots of broken hockey sticks around. When one gets too beat up, it goes in the trash and I dig up another one from my stash.

Blue2
07-24-2016, 01:52 PM

You know what they say--It's hard to beat a nice piece of ash !

Zthomps
08-13-2016, 11:57 PM
Nice thumper I gotta get me one of those

jcwit
08-21-2016, 07:30 PM
I bought a bundle of hammer handles at the flea market 20/30 years ago, still using the first one.

Have used a few to replace hammer handles over the years.

Wasn't a bad buy for 2 or 3 bucks.