PDA

View Full Version : selling cast boolits?

Newtire
05-03-2008, 08:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone has the info on how to jump thru all the hoops to make it legal to sell your cast boolits? What "badges" do you have to get?

NVcurmudgeon
05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Phone ATFE, they have always been helpful and friendly for me. I believe what you need is called an ammuntion manufacturer's license. Liability insurance would also be a good idea in these over lawyered times!

GabbyM
05-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't know about the state of Kalifornia but you don't need an ammo manufacturing license to sell lead slugs in the USA.

JSnover
05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Also watch out for states that allow mail-order components to retail businesses only, like Massachussetts.
You can ship them to dealers only in this state.
Christ, I hate this state....!

garandsrus
05-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Gabby,

I don't think you are correct.... Can you post a reference to where ATF says that lead slugs are not considered "ammunition components" and require a license to sell.

Thanks,
John

runfiverun
05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
your tax issues are the hurdles. state tax on sales and the 10% on components
produced, cannot remember whom collects that.

GabbyM
05-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Gabby,

I don't think you are correct.... Can you post a reference to where ATF says that lead slugs are not considered "ammunition components" and require a license to sell.

Thanks,
John
Well now you have me worried.

I've been away from shooting sports for about six years. Did the world go crazy while my back was turned?
Perhaps I've been living a life of crime for the last thirty-five years and didn't even know it?

As an over the hill machinist and metal fabricator it's beyond my ability to comprehend how anyone could even consider controlling production of a cylinder of common metal.

Then what's this 10% tax stuff? Good Grief! Didn't realize I was such an uninformed Hill Billy.

Is Hank Williams JR. still alive? Might be time for him to write another song.

Newtire thanks for this thread. May have saved me from something? Not sure what.

I may just be doomed to being ostracized from society and imprisoned. Krimey,
They all have their rules and regulations I'm supposed to follow. Well they can all just kiss my ass.
As Hank would say.

Maybe I'll go out and get a license or perhaps I'll just say no.

On the bright side. It's starting to make sense why so many people are casting their own of late. ##f the %%'s out of their 10%.

Hope this post wasn't to gabby for you.

OLPDon
05-04-2008, 04:56 AM
This was discused some time back and the general opion is it just isn't worth it. You might want to do a search on selling cast boolits.

As it has been stated or the old fraze goes "I'm from the Goverenment and I'm here to help"

Best of luck to ya but you might be able to get enough $ to buy a Lee mould or two.
Don

garandsrus
05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Gabby,

Here is some selected text from the Gun Control act of 1968 (http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm):

(17)(A) The term "ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

21) The term "engaged in the business" means --

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful --

(1) for any person --
(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;

John

GabbyM
05-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks John
It seams hopeless to even try to stay on the right side of the law anymore.
If you're making good bullets your friends and fellow shooters at your clubs are going to ask to buy some from you.
Hear in Illinois you can't legally transport a firearm and ammunition in the same vehicle. It's hopeless.

They still have to find twelve jurors that will convict you though.

EDK
05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
The big gun shows in St Louis and Metro East Illinois are at Collinsville and Belleville IL. Supposedly the Illinois State Police are lined up down the road from the Belleville show and stopping cars with Missouri plates on "seat belt checks" and doing a "little fishing" for ammo and guns in "the same compartment." Then you get offered a $100 ticket for the "seat belt violation" or "deep yogurt on the gun charge." Don't know if it's true, but it sure sounds like something they'd do in that area.

I moved to Missouri in '77, but Mom still lives outside Granite City. Now that place is a poster child for corrupt politicians, economic down turns, and generally "the whole world going to h---!"

[smilie=b: :redneck: :cbpour:

Newtire
05-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Was signing in to the range out here in beyutiful Kaliforniastan this AM and there was a paper to sign in opposition to a bill that would have us be forced to buy our ammo from a Kalifornistanist station. This would mean no more reloading, the end of fun as we know it.

We have had the rule about no ammo & firearm in the same compartment for quite some time now. In deep doodoo if you have a little putt putt car with no trunk unless you have a lockable rooftop luggage carrier. Real great for gas mileage huh?

DLCTEX
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
According to a strict reading of the law , I apparently violate the law by sending boolits to sons in other states. DALE

happy7
05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
According to a conversation I had with a representative of the BATF in Little Rock, there is no Federal restriction or license required to sell bullets or ammunition. However, you need an FFL06 to manufacture either bullets or ammunition for sale. In other words, unless you have the FFL06 you cannot sell bullets you cast yourself. Also, insurance, while highly advisable, is not required by law.

compass will
05-05-2008, 08:15 AM
The license is easy to get, if your background permits you to have one.

MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS
other than ammunition for destructive devices or armor piercing ammunition.
18 U.S.C 923(a)(1)(C)
Fee:
$ 30.00 for three (3) years.
Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

form:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/5300instructions.htm#5310

More info:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_manu.htm

While his website needs help, I bought this guys book package for my C&R license
http://www.rkffl.com/

GabbyM
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Thank you very much Compass will. Looking all that up was on my to do list for the day.
Looks like a gunsmiths license will cover my hobby. I've been a machinist for thirty years so you all can fill in the blanks.
A little ignorance can get a person in a lot of trouble. Good thing I found this website.

Wayne Smith
05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Don't complain about the excise tax, either. It's the self-imposed tax on all shooting, hunting, and fishing equipment (Pittman- Robertson act?) that has funded the development and programs of the fish and game departments of each and every one of the 50 states of this great country. Our grandparents made a wise choice, one I'm afraid would be a hard sell today. You have paid it all your life and didn't know it??

Essentially almost all of the game development in this country can be traced back to a self imposed tax. We ought to be proud!

garandsrus
05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
If you just manufacture components, you don't need to collect or pay the excise tax :)

Here is the text of the excise tax document (http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faetinfo.pdf) from 2005:

Ammunition or Shells and Cartridges.
(1) For the manufacturers excise tax, shells or
cartridges are designed, assembled and ready for
use without further manufacture for use in a
firearm.

(3) Component parts of shells or cartridges (for example, projectiles, containers and powder) are not taxable.

This is another way that reloading saves money :)

A person can buy an AR-15 lower and in a separate transaction (probably some amount of time between the two) buy an upper and not pay the excise tax on a "firearm".

From what I understand, if you sell reloads and give a person back his/her brass, you don' t need to collect and pay the tax either. If you sell them reloads with brass that was not theirs, you need to collect and pay the tax.

John

Wayne Smith
05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Thank you for that, John.

mikez
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
You guys are digging real deep about selling bullets or anything for that mater. All of you that have sold anything on a forum now should apply for a retail business license and a resale number for your State and pay your taxes due. Sell a few things and don’t worry about it. Some of you worry way to much...

Scrounger
05-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree, MikeZ. Since the Internet we've started to get a resurgence of people interested in guns and shooting; unfortunately a number of them are 'little old ladies', figuratively speaking. Most of us that have been doing this all our lives aren't so anal.