PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone and fueling vehicle.

45-70 Chevroner
03-09-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm putting this in this section because it gets the most attention. I got a notification from Shell Oil Co. They say do not have the phone on your person at all while fueling vehicle. You should leave it in the vehicle and close the doors. They have had three incidents of fire and explosions directly related to Cell Phones. If your phone rings while fueling you can get badly burned and even burn the service station down and die.

Omega
03-09-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm putting this in this section because it gets the most attention. I got a notification from Shell Oil Co. They say do not have the phone on your person at all while fueling vehicle. You should leave it in the vehicle and close the doors. They have had three incidents of fire and explosions directly related to Cell Phones. If your phone rings while fueling you can get badly burned and even burn the service station down and die.Not so much: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

bangerjim
03-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Old analog phones emmitted a lot more EMF strength than the new digital phones. Old "brick" phones could start a fire!

New low power digital phones can only start a fire if you take the battery out and short it close to the gas tank opening. I doubt any of you will be doing that.

BTW.......did you see the video of the bozo that used the the e-cig that started a HUUUUUGE fire in his pants in that convienence store last week? What a moron. Now that is something to worry about........smoking....(period) .....and e-cigs. Not digital phones.

HUmmmmmmmmm.......and mabe those stupid ChiCom hover boards??????????? More $$ than brains there.

banger

magimerlin
03-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Mythbusters did a show on just that.... that could get no explosions no matter what they tried.....

45-70 Chevroner
03-09-2016, 08:48 PM
I guess I should fess up here, the e-mail came to me second hand. I should have researched it a little before posting it. My bad. I'm feeling a little stupid right now, but I've been there before.

JSnover
03-09-2016, 08:51 PM
The only plausible warning I've heard was people getting in and out of their car (getting the phone or putting it back) while the tank was filling. In theory this allowed multiple opportunities for a static discharge. I don't know if there has ever been a case where this was known to have happened.

tazman
03-09-2016, 09:40 PM
I don't know how much of a spark it takes to set off gasoline fumes. However, During the winter particularly, I get satic shocks and sparks from even the slightest dragging/rubbing movement. Some of those sparks are impressive. I am talking 1 inch sparks that are bluewhite. It is bad enough that my wife won't kiss me without grounding me first.
Maybe it's just my magnetic personality.

Outpost75
03-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Cell phones are not " intrinsically safe" to the same standard that public safety 2-way radios are, so if flammable vapors are concentrated at levels approaching the lower explosive limit, a spark could cause ignition. Not very likely, but repeatable under controlled lab conditions following the NFPA test procedure.