PDA

View Full Version : Will Triple 7 Fire in an 1859 Percussion Sharps?

PatMarlin
03-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Never owned a 59 sharps and I've been reading that they don't fire BP substitutes.

Anyone have any info on that?

Reason is, I'm in California and I can't be trusted with Black Powder. Even though my dad would buy me a can of Dupont for my Bday every year when I was as young as 7-8, and we made all kinds of street pyrotechnics, mushroom smoke clouds, Blowing coffee cans in the sky, etc... I can non longer be trusted.

So I all I have on hand is Triple Seven. Will these sharps fire Triple 7? Read some where they will fire with rifle primers as caps.

Greatly appreciate comments on the subject.

Thanks in advance-

Pat... :drinks:

fryboy
03-09-2016, 02:07 PM
I've fired 777 with standard and Magnum caps in various BP revolvers as well as two online and one sidelock ,haven't tried it in cartridges yet ( either brass,paper or linen ) I'd suggest either mag caps or musket caps if St all possible just to hedge your bets ,if either of those fsil for you a duplex liad should kick it

PatMarlin
03-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks-

I've used 777 with very good results in my muzzeloaders. This will be new territory, as I've never used a paper cart percussion yet, and just bought the rifle.

I've read were the fire chamber bend weakens the fire. I can machine a nipple to use rifle primers. Will see.

PatMarlin
03-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Just talked to the prior owner of the Sharps and he's used Clean Shot only with musket caps, and it's a tac driver, so that answered my question.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't believe it will respond anywhere near as well as black powder to weak ignition, and even if a muzzle-loader cap fires perfectly, the Sharps doesn't have as direct a flame path as some. It might be fine, or might not. But I am pretty sure the use of rifle primers would solve any such problems.

I would avoid improvising any kind of device which leaves part of the primer unsupported. I once wanted an inert primer for something, so I set one on a piece of metal on the cooker, to cook it off. It blew out the side of the primer cup, which is crevice-free and much thicker than in a muzzle-loader cap.

johnson1942
03-16-2016, 10:15 PM
would a magspark nipple holding a shot gun primer fit on that gun. if so, that is your answer for any kind of powder.

PatMarlin
03-17-2016, 12:39 AM
It will be here Friday. I have a Large Rifle Primer Nipple here, and curious if the threads are the same. Anyway, we will see. I may just machine my own nipple.

Here's a link with photos...
http://www.patmarlins.com/1859-pedersoli-sharps-rifle-in-54-caliber/

DW475
03-17-2016, 01:25 AM
I found load data a while back on the Hodgdon website a while back that covered their black powder substitutes. May be worth while checking the site to see what they show for percussion guns.

PatMarlin
03-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks DW..

Mr Humble
03-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Owning flint, percussion and cartridge BP guns, I have found the Alliant Black is far superior to any BP substitute. It even works fine in my 1809 Barker .61 flinter (with 4F in the pan).
In my 45-70, I can shoot 20 with no loss of accuracy. Then one smokeless jacketed round cleans out 99% of the residue. A squirt of wipeout, 3 patches and spotless. It even makes smoke !

Dutchman
03-29-2016, 04:15 AM
That evening I found this gorgeous 1895 Infantry Sharps and thought

Wear your editor glasses:-). Should be 1859 yes?

Thought you had gotten an original... I've handled and examined this original Sharps carbine
used by the 11th NY Cavalry under Custer:
https://www.facebook.com/NelsonsSharpsCarbine/

Dutch

PatMarlin
03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
It is an original... an original Pedersoli... :mrgreen:

Thanks for catching my typo. Would like to blame it on my programmer but...

http://www.patmarlins.com/curlysharps.jpg