PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 357mag

Sghinds
03-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Looking at a possible local deal on a 94 in 357. What are your thoughts on the newer models? I only have 1 other lever gun, 336 in 35 rem, so my lever gun knowledge is lacking.

From the photos he sent (unclear and a bit blurry) looks to have 24 in barrel, just cant tell condition of the wood or bluing. So I am guessing its a 94AE.

EDIT: Here is what was sent.

Scharfschuetze
03-09-2016, 01:14 PM
The angle eject with the cross bolt safety Model 94s are pretty solid rifles to my knowledge. If the price is right and you want it, I'd get it with the understanding that you have a day or two to examine it before the sale is final.

fecmech
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
If you are a casual hunter and not a heavy shooter you might want to try it. If you plan to shoot a lot say 500-1000 rds per year don't. The AE's in .357 are problematic and not made for a lot of shooting. The link is a soft casting that will bypass shells under the lifter as it gets peened from recoil. The ejectors tend to break frequently as does the stop for the .357 shells. They are accurate, that's it. I learned all I ever want to know about 94's when I owned my .357AE. It has long gone down the road.

Sghinds
03-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info. There are 2 guns I have been looking at locally. The 357 and a Ruger Blackhawk (3 screw) in 30 carbine. I probably wont shoot it a ton right now, but later down the line, once my kids get older, who knows how much it would get shot. I have 4 kids, so it could get a bunch to none at all.

dikman
03-12-2016, 01:05 AM
I agree with fecmech. Nice rifle - as long as you shoot slow! The cartridge feeding, in pistol calibres, is notoriously unreliable on these rifles if you try to cycle fast. Mine only cost me $50, plus $30 to register, so it's no big deal but it's proven to be useless for Single Action shooting. Due to it costing me so little I'll keep it 'cos it looks nice!

But I'd advise anyone thinking about buying one to consider it a single shot rifle.

Plastikosmd
03-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Love mine, if u are handy the cartridge stop is an easy fix

dikman
03-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Are you saying there is a solution to the cartridge jamming issue? Please enlighten me, as I've been unable to find a solution thus far and would love to solve it.

fecmech
03-12-2016, 08:54 PM
I think he is talking about the little metal clip on the side of the lever that breaks off. That's a simple easy fix. The problem of cartridges coming in under the lifter is caused by the stop on the end of the link being peened and rounding off. That requires welding that stop oversize and reshaping it. Once I did that I never had anymore jams of that nature. If you go to http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27469 about halfway down the page is a pic of what I did to my link( post by retmech)

dikman
03-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Thanks fecmech, looks like I'll have to join up to see the pics. Mine doesn't so much feed under the carrier as kick up the cartridge so the nose hits the edge of the barrel and catches there. Still, it might be worth spending a bit more time on it.

Plastikosmd
03-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Same as fec. I went with a braze over a weld. I had planned to tig but went with a braze as it was easier for me to control then I just filed to shape/fit. I guess if it ever wore down I have a good base for building it back up. I went with a hard brass. It was harder than the brass cases or nickel coated cases by far. It has held up for years and a ton of rounds.