PDA

View Full Version : Baco New 50/90 PP Mould

willdixon
05-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Gents:

The ONLY bore diameter 50/90 PP mould I've found on the net is the one listed under the NEW ITEMS at BUFFALO ARMS COMPANY, the .492" Dia. 650 Grn. 1-Cav PP Flat Base Bullet Mould Item #JIM492650 for $109. And if you'd use BACO's 100% cotton paper, at .0023" a layer, that would bring the patched diameter of the bullet to .5012". Or, if you used tracing paper at .0014", it'd give you .4976 or bore diameter minus .0024".

1. Who makes the moulds for BACO, please?

2. Have any of you bought one?

3. Like it or dislike it?

It's interesting to note that KENNY WASSERBURGER, who apparently knows his way around 1000 yard PP ranges, raves on the Shiloh Forum about the quality of his BACO .441 mould for his 45/70.

I would greatly appreciate knowing more about these moulds, if you have first hand information on them.

Thank you!

Bullshop
05-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I have recently bought a mold from them. Their molds are now made by them in house.
I am certain of this because I got one of their first molds that left them and it was under size. I cant remember the fellas name that runs these but he told me the first two molds left there without being test cast and may be undersize.
He told me if I returned it and it test OK I paid shipping both ways but if the mold was wrong they would pay shipping both ways. It was wrong and they paid.
They are pretty nice molds that appear to be made on Saeco blocks.
I should be getting my Kaltool adjustable mold from Rick soon. It is adjustable for weight, comes with cup base and flat base pluggs and the 50 cal should drop at .494".
I use a thicker 100% cotton paper but adjust the final patched diameter by sizing.
That way that is a much larger selection of paper available.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Jon K
05-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Call BACO and ask them if they'll make the mould .494 instead of .492. You don't know, until you ask.

I bought one of the .441 PP moulds, and it pours easy, and drops a nice boolit.

Question- Why do you need to use the thinner paper? Paper is cheap next to the mould, or tin, and even cheaper than pure lead now.

Jon

rockrat
05-10-2008, 09:34 AM
If you are looking for a 50cal PP mould, I might have a Hoch mould out in the shop I would be willing to part with. Not sure of the weight of the boolit, at the moment,but could check if you are interested.

willdixon
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Jon and rockrat -

No, Jon, I feel safe is saying, without asking, that BACO would not be willing to change their mould for me to make the bullet 0.002" larger in diameter. And this is for the reason that it has already been shipped.

But, no offense meant, why would I want the bullet an additional 0.002" in diameter? I figure the 0.492 is about perfect for a .50 cliaber bore, is it not?

You asked, "Why do you need to use the thinner paper?"

Well, IMHO, First, you use the thickness of paper which will bring the diameter of the bullet out to bore or 0.001" or 0.002" smaller than bore. This bore, 0.5000' minus 0.492" = 0.008". Which means I need about 0.008" of paper to bring the bullet into the bore minum 1 or 2 thousandths rule.

So if I patch the bulle with my 0.0015" paper, the bullet would be bore minus 0.002", exactly within papameters.

Or, if I patch with the famous BACO 100% cotton onion skin, at 0.0023" I'd be bore plus 0.0012", again perfectly within parameters.

Any thicker paper would make the patched bullet too large, and would not tear properly on exiting the barrel.

Secondly, however, the experts say total patch thickness should be less than or equal to the barrel's groove depth to enhance paper tearing/cutting. See http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/Dan_Theodore_American_Creedmoor_Cup-PP_%20discussion.htm. And most of the whiz kids are using -.0016" paper or thereabouts.

Plus Wrandolph Wright, in his excellent LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCHED BULLETS recommends paper in my range thickness, including Vellum by Alvin in 0.0015" and my Bienfang and Mead Drawing and Tracing Paper in 0.0015"

So there you have it.

But no thanks, rockrat, I don't need a second mould - thank you very much anyway.