PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a reliable 1911 style 45acp

tazman
03-08-2016, 10:23 PM
I am considering purchasing a 1911 style 45acp pistol. I haven't looked at anything yet so I don't have my heart set on any particular gun.
My experience with this type of pistol is very limited. I can't claim any knowledge or insights about them. I have only shot a few rounds with a borrowed gun at the range and that years ago.
I would like recommendations as to what to buy.
My usage would be blasting, some(not too serious) target shooting, possible field carry(not concealed at this time), and home defense usage(backup for my shotgun).
Accuracy would be appreciated since without accuracy, what's the point. Functionality is paramount. Adjustable sights would be a plus but not mandatory. I don't need all the bells and whistles.
I am not now and will never be a good enough shot to warrant getting the most accurate gun there is out there. I am capable of approximately 3-4 inch groups with my Ruger MkII competition at 20 yards and would like to at least be able to approach that with the 1911.
I will probably be shooting 230 grain cast RN through it at least to start. I can always experiment later.
Any pointers as to what to look for and beware of would be great.
I would like to keep the cost with a couple of spare mags under $1000.
I have no prejudice against used guns and no preference for new or used either way.
Please educate me.
Thanks
tazman

376Steyr
03-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Ruger SR1911, in the full size all steel version. Principle advantage over most of it's competitors is it doesn't have a "Series 80"-type firing pin safety, which is a collection of parts that gives Murphy's Law just one more place to cause bad things to happen. After starting with a good gun, don't try to economize on the magazines. It you are shooting round-nosed GI-style loads, try to find some Checkmate brand, 7 shot magazines with the "GI" feed lips. It worked for Sgt. York, and it will work for you. Avoid bargain-priced, "special sale" mags, as you will probably wind up throwing half of them away.

jhaston
03-08-2016, 10:59 PM
I shoot a commander sized Sig 1911 with a bobbed frame, it is more accurate than I am, has a nice trigger out of the box, tritium sights, my only complaint with it is that it's picky about mags, only wants to lock back on last shot with Wilson mags. Got mine used in the $900 range. I like the checkered front strap, it will skin your hand before it slips.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/webkit-fake-url://b11e77f3-67cd-41b4-aec9-ebebd4080bad/imagejpeg

9.3X62AL
03-08-2016, 11:02 PM
What 376 Steyr just wrote. Balancing price paid/quality received, warranty coverage and service, and my own experience shooting about a half-dozen examples, the Ruger 1911-series pistols would be (and will soon be) my choice in the steel Commander flavor. Colts are too hard to find, and too expensive when found. If a used Series 70 Colt in good shape can be found at a fair price, that would be my alternate choice.

PoisonIvyMagnet
03-08-2016, 11:08 PM
I love my Kimber, but I shot a guy's new Ruger SR1911 at the range last fall. Just as nice a gun, great trigger. I would buy one if I were looking for another 1911.

DougGuy
03-08-2016, 11:12 PM
I would +1 on the Ruger, but there is another USA made dog in the fight that is well worth looking at. CZ USA 1911 A1s are in stores now, this is a new all USA made all steel 1911 A1 that began production last year that should be very pleasing to Colt afficiondos for their looks, their fit and finish, and at the mid-$700 mark with 2 mags, is pleasing to the pocketbook as well..

Forged slide and frame, SS match barrel, checkered walnut grips, a LOT of refinements and improvements went into this 1911, mostly in materials and internals. This is pretty much a semi-custom fit 1911 with a lot to offer at a really nice price point. I haven't shot one or had one in my hands to evaluate but I get the gut feel it will be an impressive moment when I do. The Rugers are okay, I was not terribly impressed with their build quality, just seemed a bit rough here and there but I don't think they are quite up to the fit and finish of the CZ, and I would rather have forged over cast any day of the week. Not knocking Ruger don't get me wrong, just saying the CZ may just be the eye opener of the newest 1911 offerings..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/cz-1911-a1_zps8tqvzrf8.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/cz-1911-a1_zps8tqvzrf8.jpg.html)

http://www.guns.com/2015/07/17/the-cz-1911-a1-is-now-in-stores/

Bigslug
03-08-2016, 11:15 PM
I have been VERY impressed with the several Rock Island Arsenals that have crossed my path. Lotta gun for the price there, and straight GI on the innards.

Springfield's selection of models is large & the warranty is for life. The only non-GI dimensioned part of their working guts is the firing pin and channel - they use the narrower 9mm/.38 Super spec for all. Not an obstable to anything - just good to know.

Ruger's guts are GI spec across the board. The nicest touch (I think) is that since they are the leader is cast firearm parts, they made the plunger tube integral to the frame rather than staking it on, so you never have to sweat it working out.

I would automatically lose any full-length or screw-together guide rods right out of the box in favor of the standard GI plunger and short, totally internal guide rod. I would also avoid any designs without barrel bushings that use reverse taper barrels that lock directly against the front of the slide or require bent paperclips or other gizmos for field stripping.

MUSTANG
03-08-2016, 11:15 PM
I've got a standard size Spring Field Armory 1911 from the late 1980's and a Kimber 1911 from 2000. Both bought new. I have shot several thousands of cast 230 rounds through each and they remain tight and accurate. Rarely shoot jacketed in either. Either would be a good choice for your needs, and be good for a lifelong acquisition.

jcren
03-09-2016, 12:49 AM
I love my full-size RIA. I have the stainles "combat model, which has the beavertail safety and a few other "upgrades". A home trigger job (factory was decent) and a semi-fitted barrel bushing and she will shoot 2" offhand at 15-20yards any day, the majority of those shots being one ragged hole with a flyer or two. Series 70 fire control, tight fitting (i have "blue-print" measured 2 of em) and $500 for stainless. Btw, those are Lee 230 grain tc bullets powder coated over hs-6 or red dot. Hasn't had a handful of factory through her.

boatbum101
03-09-2016, 01:03 AM
I'd go for either the Springfield Milspec or Range Officer & the STI Trojan or Titan . All these offer a lot for the money .

Scharfschuetze
03-09-2016, 01:57 AM
At one time, you generally had to have a good gunsmith go over your 1911 to get it up to snuff if you really wanted accuracy. Now with CNC technology, those days seem to be in the past. Good luck on your choice. I can only comment positively on the older Colts (GI and commercial) in my inventory and one Kimber that is the cat's meow.

Greg S
03-09-2016, 02:50 AM
Personally, with alot of time vested in the platform I would say Springfield Armory amd Colt. OK, yea , the big names. You have to hunt, but you can find a good copy for a great price so with all the bickering asside about paying for a name, lets see what you get.

Colt has been making them since the turn of the last century and has a semi proven track record. Granted, all my pistols are far from stock but that is what I like. Warrenty, colt has treated me right and Springfield is the standard. I'm not omitting Ruger or Remington, I just haven't played with them.

Colt comes in two flavors, original as approved and modernized a series 70 sans the 80's court room and lawyer firing pin safety. Now, I have both and really nothing bad to say about the firing pin safety albet some have problms when they start mettling with the trigger and have no idea of what they are doing and timing the levers. All model in general compared with springfield are pretty basic. The onky one I know that comes with an adjustable sight is the Gold Cup.

Springfield has been producing these pistols for some time and have more of a presence in the market due to their designs and catering more to the recreational crowd whether it be blasters, target or competition style pistols. Their basic pistols are basic, the Gi and the Milspec. The old Milspecs with their NM frames are great as a base gun for a build. As you up the ladder, the range master and loaded models offer more features for ergonomics and comfort. All four of these models can be found with decent prices on the used market, you just have to know where to shop and haggle.

The only love I have for a Kimber are the series l pistols. The series ll are wrapped up in marketing and glitz and they forgot what they were going. Don't get me wrong, there are soome good pistols out there and then there are the lemons and what they do to fix them.

Para Ord has had a checked past. Some of the originals were great pistols but QC problems over the years on pin hole locations ect have drawn eyes to the brand. Got a good friend with an older hi-cap with 12-15k on it and it is still chugging along without a hitch. Trying to get a custom smith to work on one is difficult. Now the FG bought them out under Remingtons name, theynare just trying to clear the brand from the playing field. They are responsible now for Para repairs and basically tell Para customers there is nothing that they can do since they don't have the repair parts.

MtGun44
03-09-2016, 03:27 AM
Own one, and have handled another and did a trigger job on another Ruger 1911. Very nicely made, high
quality but not expensive guns. Probably the class of the field in the moderate price range.

If you want to really treat yourself, but at a price, look at one of the Dan Wesson 1911s. Literally custom gun
at half the price of a custom gun. Hand built to extremely fine tolerances, just superior guns in every
way --- but you will pay $1500 or perhaps a bit less, $950-1200 for used. Ruger will be $500-600 depending on how
good a deal you can get.

Avoid the Taurus, solid frame, bbl, slide but all the small parts range between bad and mediocre. Kimbers
are nicely made, but IMO, overpriced these days for what they are (own and really like my very OLD
Kimber, but paid a lot less then). External extractor guns are not real 1911s in my opinion, will not own
one. Colts are nice, but too much money and usually well made, but..... not always.

Ruger is really the sweet spot today. A big plus for the Ruger is the lack of any stupid, non-Browning, lawyer
designed firing pin lock systems as many have jammed into them these days. Ruger gets the same
safety effect with nothing more than a titanium firing pin, eliminates the issue (bogus/exaggerated IMO) without
changing JB's timeless design.

Bill

M-Tecs
03-09-2016, 03:37 AM
Just did a trigger job on a buddies Ruger SR1911. Very nice for the money.

GhostHawk
03-09-2016, 08:38 AM
I have a mid 90's Springfield and while I doubt I have 1k rounds through it yet I have had no problems.

It is solid, the price was a decent 500$ although I only got 1 mag for that.

Best of all the more we shoot together the better our groups are looking.
I mostly shoot around the 20 foot mark and I have had a few days where 8 shots were in a pop can sized group. Good enough for me.

If I was to buy again I might consider Rock Island Armory. Colts and Kimbers tend to be priced out of what I am willing to spend.

On my SA the only thing that is not pure stock is the feed ramp got a little polish. 5 minutes worth made a big difference.

The rest in my opinion is more about the shooter and the ammo than the gun.

Forrest r
03-09-2016, 08:47 AM
I'd take a hard look at the springfield range officers. Allot of 1911 for little $$$$, got just under $700nib for each of mine.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/ropair_zpsjjjmkgtp.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/ropair_zpsjjjmkgtp.jpg.html)

Bought the 45acp ro first. The only thing I've done to it was put a variable power spring in it. Have 1000's of rounds down the tube with it now and it has been an excellent pistol for me. No ftf's, fte's, no mag issues with the factory mags (hardball/swc's/xtp's). The ro is simply a plain jane no bells and whistles nm 1911. It didn't take long to find/work up a target load for the ro.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/38bull50ft_zps126936b2.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/38bull50ft_zps126936b2.jpg.html)

Liked the 45acp ro enough that I bought a 9mm version of the ro last year. So far it mirrors the 45acp version, no ftf's, fte's, nothing but a bang when I hit the loud button. I did change out the spring in the 9mm ro also, went to a 10# spring. Finely got some time to work up a target load for the 9mm ro. Ended up with a 1100fps+ 125gr hp (mihec hp) target load.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/ro9mm50ft_zpslprjmumk.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/ro9mm50ft_zpslprjmumk.jpg.html)

Not bad for a $629 + tax 1911 in 45acp and a $649 + tax 1911 in 9mm. I'd put those 1911's up against anything that's even remotely close to them in that price range. I've owned & shot allot of different 1911's over the years. These springfield ro's are designed with performance/accuracy in mind. The user is only paying for match grade slides/bbl's/bbl bushings/the fitting of those parts. The triggers on both ro's have a little creap but they both break at just over #3.5

Several years back I cleaned house and sold off all of 1911's that I collected over the years along with a couple of target 22lrs (s&w 41's/high standards). Wanted to get something to use/shoot and not worry about age or wear. Basically I was looking for what the op described in what he is looking for in a 1911. I just wanted a dependable accurate 1911. In the bullseye community everyone kept recommending the springfield ro as a "starter nm 1911". So after a couple months of reading/asking/studying I ended up buying a ro in 45acp and a marvel 22lr conversion kit to go along with it.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/marvel1911.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/marvel1911.jpg.html)

That 45acp ro turned out to be one heck of a shooter!!! Shot bowling pins/steal/bullseye with it and just plain old fun/plinking. Liked that ro in 45acp enough that I bought another ro, this time in 9mm. I have nothing against the rugers/colts/ria's/kimbers/etc, I just haven't seen the same performance from any of them ($1000 and less models) that I'm getting from these $700 springfield ro.

Anyway, just another opinion. But I did put my money down and own/use these 1911's for a combined 5+ years with 10,000+ rounds down the bbl's to to be able to recommend them. If the ro's didn't perform I'd of sold the 45acp and never bought the 9mm.

Petrol & Powder
03-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Been a while since I routinely played in the 1911 sandbox but I'll toss in some comments based on past experience.

I had some very good Kimber's but I agree they have become a bit pricey. They were a lot of gun for the money in the past.

The Ruger 1911 looks to be a good pistol and I agree with Bigslug that the integral plunger tube of the Ruger is an improvement. The Ruger's appear to be a lot of pistol for the money. Cast parts don't brother me a bit, Ruger knows how to do it and has proven that for decades. The series 70 design is also a plus.

One of the best 1911's I ever had was an old Colt and one of the worst ones I ever had was a newer Colt and that one came out of the Colt Custom shop ! I wouldn't pay for the Colt name, it's not a guarantee of quality.

There's nothing super fancy or mysterious about the 1911 design. Accuracy comes down mostly to the fit of the barrel to the slide and a little bit of the slide to frame fit. Too loose and accuracy will suffer. Too tight and reliability will suffer.

35remington
03-09-2016, 09:09 AM
I have two recent Series 70 Reproduction Colts, made the old fashioned way with forged slide, frame, barrel and slide stop. Both have been excellent. Is the build quality somewhat better in exchange for the higher cost?

In my opinion, yes. The small parts quality is also better than the "low priced" competition as well. You pays your money and takes your chances. More money, fewer chances. Where "more money" is relevant is personal opinion, and nobody has shot each and every iteration of 1911 out there unless the manufacturers send them to you for free reviews.

In other words, we know what we know, but we don't know everything, just that which we have shot.

Electric88
03-09-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm also going to say get the Ruger. I've got one, and it's one heck of a gun. I've seen them used-like new around me for about $550, new for $650. You get alot of pistol for that kind of price.

N4AUD
03-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Another vote for the Springfield Range Officer.

osteodoc08
03-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Springfield RO is a good overall choice for price and value. A lot of people trash Kimber, but I've had extremely good luck with them. Ruger and Remington R1. There are a lot of good choices with a under $1k price point. A basic SA GI model can be found $650-700. Just depends on what you want. Go handle some and ask here for opinions on specific models. I picked up a Colt XSE line model for around $950 OTD last year and have really loved it.

As far as magazines go, I personally like Wilson mags. I have checkmate mags as someone else mentioned, but my Wilson mags are my favorite.

Half Dog
03-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I have a Springfield Loaded model and a friend who has a Kimber target. Neither of us can tell the difference between the two when we shoot, which might be a testimony of our abilities.

Good luck and let us know which one you choose and why.

tazman
03-09-2016, 11:33 AM
It looks like choices are boiling down to Springfield Armory RO and the Ruger SR1911. Nothing but good recommendations for both.
Now I need to go to a gun shop and handle both and see what feels right.
I may be able to find some one who has one or the other and will let me try it at the range.
Thank you all for your thoughts.
tazman

Petrol & Powder
03-09-2016, 07:19 PM
...............In other words, we know what we know, but we don't know everything, just that which we have shot.

Very true words.

DougGuy
03-09-2016, 10:20 PM
It looks like choices are boiling down to Springfield Armory RO and the Ruger SR1911. Nothing but good recommendations for both.
Now I need to go to a gun shop and handle both and see what feels right.
I may be able to find some one who has one or the other and will let me try it at the range.
Thank you all for your thoughts.
tazman

tazman, if you DO get to a shop that has the CZ model 1911 A1, let us know what you think of it. It would be nice to have an unbiased opinion from a shooter that isn't a 1911 owner and doesn't know them inside and out like some of us do (or think we do! :bigsmyl2: ). For me, a really well made and fitted 1911 just does something cool, first time you rack the slide on it, and you just say a very quiet "wow" and rack it again..

contender1
03-10-2016, 10:10 AM
I see you've gotten some good info all around. I was where you are at about 20 years ago. Now, I currently own 1/2 dozen of them. I own Kimbers, Springfields, & a Ruger.
I also shoot USPSA competition,,, but I've not done much to any except external enhancements to speed me up a little. The only thing two of them have has is a little trigger tweaking for competition.
One was a build on a Springfield frame,,, so I take it out of the equation.
That said,,, the two choices you've narrowed it down to are both quite good.
Given my current knowledge of them, I'd give the nod to the Ruger. NOTHING against Springfield,, (I even know a few folks at Springfield, and can call them friends.) It's just that I feel more "comfortable" with my Ruger in my hands.
Oh, and I've owned Colts too. In fact,,, I just sold a NIB Commander two days ago. It felt "rough" in my hands compared to the ones mentioned.
I've handled a couple of the CZ's. Nice, and they are building a great reputation in the competition world,, but not yet with their 1911's.

If this helps give the Ruger a nod,,,, right now,,, Ruger is trying to sell 2 million guns in a year. From one NRA convention time to the next. April is fast approaching, so it's almost over. For every firearm they sell during this time,,, they will donate $2 of each sale to the NRA. It's a way to help fight for the right to actually own guns.

Let us know what you choose.

Electric88
03-10-2016, 10:21 AM
One other 1911 I do not see mentioned but understand to be good is the Desert Eagle 1911. I've held (but not fired) them and the fit and finish on them is excellent. I'm told the trigger is exceptional as well. The only downside is the huge roll mark on the side. But another great option for under $1000, if you're interested. I would still choose the Ruger though :)

22cf45
03-10-2016, 10:36 AM
As a bullseye competition shooter who shoots around 5000 .45 acp rounds each year, the choice for me would be a very easy one. Go with the Springfield RO and you'll never look back. Another endorsement comes from the pistolsmiths I know who regularly work on our competition pistols. They like to work on the Springfield's since the holes are drilled correctly and you don't have to replace the most or all of the internals in order to achieve a match quality pistol.
Phil

flyingmonkey35
03-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I can say with 100% honesty stay away from Para USA. As they were bought out by Remington and have stopped warranting their guns. Horrible service. Etc.

My top choices.
Wilson Combat
Springfield
Rock island.

But get the size that fits your hand. And feels good. I'm a big guy and like government models. But the commander and officer are smaller frames. But still as accurate.

I'd plan on a good 1911 to run you 800 -1200
Cheap 350-800
Top o the line 1200+

LabGuy
03-10-2016, 01:11 PM
I love my Springfield Armory Range Officer, and would not hesitate in getting one more.

Forrest r
03-10-2016, 01:44 PM
I agree the cz's just aren't there yet. Their cz75 is one heck of a pistol and I looked at them real hard before buying a ro in 9mm. When I saw that cz came out with a 1911 a couple of things came to mind. Most mfg's that builds a high end 1911 build a base model. That's exactly what the cz 1911 is, a tell tail sign is the fixed sights and a 5# trigger from the factory.

There's nothing wrong with the ruger 1911, my brother owns 1 and my other brother owns a kimber. Their both excellent 1911's and I enjoy shooting them when we're together at the range. It all comes down to what your really looking for in a 1911. I'm not saying any of this because I'm a huge springfield fan, I'm saying it because I found that they flat out shoot. If they didn't there would be something else in my hand.

The biggest difference between the ruger and the springfield:
The sights and the nm bbl/fit/accuracy.
The sights on the ruger are fixed novak sights. Novak makes an excellent sight for their intended purpose. If you're looking for extreme accuracy, fixed sights aren't the way to go. The novaks are designed to have a +/- 2" @ 25yds with common 45acp ammo. If you find a ammo your ruger likes have to change the height of the front sight to be able to shoot to the poa of the ammo. The sights on the ro are adjustable so you can set them up for bullseye (6 o-clock hold on black) or center of mass or anything else you want. Along with the front sight height is not ammo specific. Fixed sights ='s new ammo/new height, adjustable sights ='s turn the screw.

The rugers seem to be allot pickier about what you feed them. They feed and function flawlessly with anything you case to put in them. They just aren't that accurate with most ammo's, hence being picky. There's a huge difference between 4" groups @ 25yds and 2" groups @ 25yds and the ruger just doesn't produce too many 2" groups at 25yds. I find the rugers to be a 4" gun, nothing wrong with that. That's more than enough accuracy for most shooting sports. The ro on the other hand seems to shoot most ammo's equally well and will absolutely shoot bug holes in targets with ammo that it likes. It's nothing for the ro to get 2" groups @ 25yds.

Anyway I'm not bad mouthing ruger or any other 1911 by any means. I'm just saying the ruger is limited by it's sights and just isn't in the same league accuracy wise as the springfield ro. If accuracy is king and you only want to put around $700 in a 1911, the ro's are hard to beat.

There's allot of reviews out there, most of them mirror my findings. Here's what guns and ammo found when the did a test/article on the ruger. The ruger averaged 3.5" groups for all ammo's tested from a rest @25yds and the sights were +/- 2"'s.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/the-ruger-sr1911-review/

Guns and ammo review of the springfield ro. The ro averaged 2" groups from a rest @25yds with every ammo tested. Raved about the factory trigger. And at the end of the test, tested the ro offhand. Ended up only doing 5 shots @25yds but those 5 shots were in a 1.8" group offhand 1 handed bullseye shooting.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/springfield-range-officer-review/

This is what the truth about guns had to say when they tested the ruger:
For me to say a gun lacks accuracy is like a Burger King fry cook claiming that lobster fricassée with polyphenol sauce lacks authenticity. Still, our group’s groups at eight yards were about as tight as a 45-year-old hooker. Adam, a man who can dot the “i” of the words “Official Competition” hiding in the corner of an NRA target at 10 yards, managed the best group: two inches. Andre embarrassed himself with a 10.5″ group. Well, I embarrassed him. Here. Ruger says you can use the SR1911 to shoot 1.5″ groups at 25 yards. You and whose Army sniper?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr1911/

American handgunner testing the ro in 9mm. It punched golf ball sized groups @ 25yds.
http://americanhandgunner.com/springfield-armorys-9mm-range-officer/

American rifleman testing the ro's (9mm/45acp/full size/compact). They got 2" average (45acp) 2.5" average (9mm) @25yds using several different ammo's with the 4" compacts.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/9/24/springfields-range-officer-m1911s/

Gun digest, more 2" groups from a 9mm ro.
http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/handgun-review-springfield-armory-9mm-1911-range-officer

The arms guide ro vs loaded, both springfield nm's, ro was more accurate due to the difference in sights adj vs novak
http://thearmsguide.com/485/springfield-armory-1911-a1-loaded-vs-range-officer/

When I decided I wanted a range beater 1911 that was reliable and accurate for under $700. I read/studied for a couple of months. Went to ranges and rented several different 1911's that I was interested in for hands on evaluations. And not only shot my brothers 1911's (ruger/kimber) but several others over a course of 3/4 months asking people about their 1911's and being able to use/shoot them at a gun club I've been a member of for 26+ years.

Anyway, there tests/range experiences have mirrored mine. Fixed sights vs adjustable sights, 3"+ groups vs 2"+ groups. If you plan on using 1 ammo and shooting steal/bowling pins/idpa/general plinking then a fixed sighted 1911 is an excellent choice. If you plan on throwing target shooting/nra bullseye or multiple loads/bullets into the mix then the adjustable sighted 1911 is an excellent choice. I'm not saying the ro is more accurate than the ruger. It's just that the ro is more accurate with a larger # of different ammo's/loads. Couple that with a respectable trigger and the ability to adjust your sights to the poa you want them at, the ro's are hard to beat.

Forrest r
03-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Part of the reason I believe the ro's do so well is their bbl's. Went to the range yesterday with the ro in 9mm and 500rounds of ammo.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/4b4b377b-9869-405e-ab5d-6098f47034af_zpslyx7ht7x.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/4b4b377b-9869-405e-ab5d-6098f47034af_zpslyx7ht7x.jpg.html)

500 hot loads of longshot and powdercoated mihec 125gr hp's. Nice star on the bbl.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/crown_zpsbapei3xm.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/crown_zpsbapei3xm.jpg.html)

springfield says they polish their bbl's, I believe them, the dirty bbl after 500rounds.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/bblpowderfouling_zpsaistqpxi.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/bblpowderfouling_zpsaistqpxi.jpg.html)

1 wet (hoppe's #9) and 1 dry patch later, no bore brush needed.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/clean9mmbbl_zpsr0hl0elp.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/clean9mmbbl_zpsr0hl0elp.jpg.html)

The chamber end of the bbl after 1 wet/1 dry patch. Note the highly polished ramp and the ro bbl's come from the factory with a highly polished throat in them.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/9mmchamberleade_zpsecwhgkdb.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/9mmchamberleade_zpsecwhgkdb.jpg.html)

The 45acp bbl's are no different. Highly polished and throated. Note the 9mm bbl is ramped & the 45acp bbl is not. My 45acp 1911 ro bbl.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/45acpthroat_zpstk6osar8.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/45acpthroat_zpstk6osar8.jpg.html)

Bbl's and their throating play a huge part in accuracy in a 1911. Here's a link to a sticky on this website about 1911 bbls/throats and what to look for.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232061-1911-Throating

I'd be taking a good hard look at the polish on the crown/feed ramps/throating of any bbl on any 1911 I was thinking about buying. If you want accuracy, it starts with the bbl.

Perhaps someone could show a couple picks of their ruger bbl showing the polished ramp/throat. Or what that bbl looks like after 500 rounds have been ran thru it. Or how easy/hard it is to clean.

Just something to look at while your shopping around looking at 1911's.

Char-Gar
03-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Consider this: The 1911 pistol as designed by John Browning and the 1911A1 improvements are inherently reliable designs. If any individual pistol based on this design is not reliable, it is because somebody has used the wrong ammo, the wrong magazine or jacked with the basic design enough to induce problems.

Everybody and their spotted pup, makes or has made some version of the 1911 pistol. Some are true to the design and some have taken great liberties with the design. Some of good and some are not so good.

On the whole accuracy has improved in recent decades due to the tighter tolerances produced by modern CNC machining.

I have owned several score of these pistols over the past 55 years, and most have been very good handguns. Today, if I was going to buy one for the OPs stated purposes and wanted on to do those things, right out of the box, I would buy the Ruger 1911. Others may do just as good, but I KNOW, from personal experience the Ruger will do it.

DougGuy
03-10-2016, 02:26 PM
I get about the same number of Ruger barrels for throating as I do the RO barrels. They have an adequate throat with a small ring of .4515" freebore in front of the leade in to the rifling. This is fine if you shoot .451" but for .452" they need a little more freebore and it needs to be of sufficient diameter to seat a .452" boolit into the freebore, which generally won't happen before having the barrel throated. The upside of this, is that they shoot REALLY WELL after throating so it's an improvement that is much appreciated by cast boolit shooters.

9.3X62AL
03-10-2016, 02:31 PM
You guys are the WORST assemblage of enablers on earth. All of these praises of the SA RO has me diving into the Cal-DOJ Certification site to see which (if any) of the SA ROs can be transferred in this Worker's Paradise. Drat you all.

tazman
03-10-2016, 02:36 PM
I get about the same number of Ruger barrels for throating as I do the RO barrels. They have an adequate throat with a small ring of .4515" freebore in front of the leade in to the rifling. This is fine if you shoot .451" but for .452" they need a little more freebore and it needs to be of sufficient diameter to seat a .452" boolit into the freebore, which generally won't happen before having the barrel throated. The upside of this, is that they shoot REALLY WELL after throating so it's an improvement that is much appreciated by cast boolit shooters.

What do the RO barrels need if anything to work well with cast?

DougGuy
03-10-2016, 02:47 PM
What do the RO barrels need if anything to work well with cast?

If you are shooting .452" diameter boolits which most are, you may need the barrel throated so that a normal COA will allow the chambered round to "plunk" reliably and not have to seat the boolit deeper in the case as a workaround for the freebore in the barrel being only .4515" in diameter.

I would recommend throating the barrel with enough .4525" freebore to handle your handloads, and I also recommend the 20° crown as this cleans up the muzzle pretty good and ensures the crown is dead nut concentric with the bore. I offer a throat, crown & polish package that takes care of the throat, the crown, and any radiusing, blending, and polishing that the feed ramp may need, and I toss in free shipping to boot so it really is a good deal and your groups will be noticeably tighter afterwards. My throating reamer is a special order to my own design that has a long 2° leade in ground onto it so there really is a smooth gentle transition into the leade in and it just works really good. I think this is why they shoot as well as they do afterwards. Stretching the freebore and then stretching the leade to the rifling makes a much smoother path for the boolit travel as opposed to the short freebore and stubby ends of the lands that most factory barrels are shipped with.

Photo shows a stock RO barrel on the left, really isn't any throat at all to speak of at the end of the chamber. Right side is the same RO barrel after throating, the reamer I have now is even more gradual in the leade in than this one. But this is a prime example of what 95% of the .45 ACP barrels need for shooting .452" cast boolits properly. It makes no sense to have to stuff them deeper in the case when you have to compensate load data for the shorter COA, plus they don't feed nearly as well as a longer COA.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/Both1_zps194dd462.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/Both1_zps194dd462.jpg.html)

The feed ramp in this barrel is stock, untouched. Normally they will feed fairly well, but I do break the top edge with a very very small radius to help the round lay over and it makes a lot less work to push the rim up under the extractor hook as the slide is cycling so I radius and polish this area but do not remove any of the case support, the radius is very tiny.

As far as the crown, it really doesn't take much to terminate a barrel and have it shoot properly, the crown MUST be square with the bore, and it MUST be centered on the rifling, not the outside of the barrel tube. The thing you want for it to have, is a sharply defined exit edge that vents gases equally when the base of the boolit exits. Any hair of misalignment causes one side of the barrel to allow gas to vent sooner than the other side and this will cause the boolit to curve it's flight. That final shove at the muzzle has to be even all the way around. When a crown is close, it's impossible to see with the naked eye if it's correct or not. And with adjustable sights, you adjust the sights to your point of impact and so a crown that shoots adequately may never be noticed that there might be room for improvement. I have a carbide cutter that I adapted to a Dave Manson precision mandrel that centers in the rifling and puts a precision 20° cut perfectly concentric with the bore, and this takes out any possibility of the crown affecting the boolit's flight. In looking at slow mo footage of a 1911 being fired, you can stop the video and actually use a protractor on the computer screen to measure the apex of the burning gases exiting the muzzle, and I found that setting the crown on 20° puts the end of the muzzle parallel with the angle of the burning gases. So I would recommend this crown for a 1911 barrel as it works really well, and the mandrel ensures it is dead nut concentric with the lands, and square with the centerline of the bore. it takes out any chance that the crown is merely "close" as it is a precision cut that comes out exact every time.

RO barrel, stock crown on the left, 20° crown on the right (not really a very good photo):

The photo below is of a Kahr CW45 barrel after crowning, it is a much better photo:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/1911%20Crowning/ROpasted_zpsxqhewlgg.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/1911%20Crowning/ROpasted_zpsxqhewlgg.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/DSC04794%20Custom_zpsmvxyd7re.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/DSC04794%20Custom_zpsmvxyd7re.jpg.html)

osteodoc08
03-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Dang guys. You're gonna have me out looking at the RO model soon

Piedmont
03-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Forrest r, Excellent write up. I had thought if I bought another 1911 it would be a Ruger. Now I think it will be a Springfield Armory.

Ithaca Gunner
03-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I too can vouch for Springfield Armory 1911's. They're just plain good, better than Colt in my opinion.

DerekP Houston
03-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Wow thanks for the pictures of the crown job, I wasn't sure what the big deal was.

jrayborn
03-12-2016, 10:05 PM
I have a Springfield RO that i really like a lot. Have my eye on an TRP maybe next...

Virginia John
03-12-2016, 10:19 PM
All of what they said above is good. From what your requirements were, it sounded like you want a commander or officer size weapon. While all of the recommendations above are good, the cost is all over the board. At the low end you have Armscor (RIA) and for the money they are a fine weapon and at the high end you have a slew of the custom manufacturers that are over your budget. Slightly more reasonable than custom are Colt and Kimber and in the middle are Springfield, S&W and Ruger. Pick the one that feels good and you can afford.

Frank46
03-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Don't know how old you are but take it from an old fart. Get a good set of adjustable sights already installed on your soon to be new 45. You save money that way plus a good set will make shooting a 45 way easier. And saves a trip to a local gunsmith and having you fork over some serious coin to do the machine work. And I started shooting steel plate matches with a 1943 Ithaca 1911AA1. Then graduated to a springfield armory with all the bells and whistles and a Knowlin barrel. My buddy paid way more than me to get basically the same pistol done by two gunsmiths. Jim Clark Jr, was the last one who worked on his 45. And it shoots great. Frank

BigAl52
03-12-2016, 10:59 PM
I have 2 Sigs a round butt nightmare 5 inch and a 4 inch Spartan. I have one Ruger SR 1911. I also own a Kimber Eclispe and a RIA in 10mm. I know thats not a 45 but if I had to chose one hands down the Sig would be my choice. There really accurate right out of the box. Nothing wrong with the Ruger I like mine just fine but it still wont shoot with either Sig. Al

6bg6ga
03-13-2016, 07:03 AM
I highly recommend purchasing a 1911 with all the bells and whistles. I've had series 70's and 80's and Gold Cups in both series 70 and 80. I've had plain Jane Government models and the Colt Officers in stainless when it first came out. I purchased a new Sig Tac Pac back in about 2011 or 2012. You can buy a buget 1911 and then you start changing things or you can buy something capable of some accuracy straight out of the box with everything your little heart desires. YHou purchase a cheap gun and then you start changing things and you never get it quite right.I just got rid of a really good accurate Sig Tac Pack simply because I couldn't live with its 7 or 8 lb trigger when I am used to a 3lb or less trigger. Oh, the Sig doesn't have aftermarket trigger parts available for it like Colts and S&W do or I would have dropped in another trigger and kept it. I even had a gun smith look at it only to hear there was nothing they could do to lighten the trigger. I traded it for a new S&W from the custom shop that had all the bells and whistles so nothing left to do to it other than change the front sight to something other than black. Total cost less than all the modifications planned for your buget $700 out of the box bargain.

375supermag
03-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Hi...

I have exactly two 1911s in .45ACP.
A full-size Springfield Armory and a nickel Colt Combat Commander. Among my favorite handguns...both run flawlessly. The Springfield required some minor polishing work on the feed ramp and a change in recoil spring. The Colt has been perfect out of the box. They are my primary carry guns and I trust my life and more importantly my family's life to them.

I have considered buying a Ruger or Remington but just haven't got around to it yet.

My son recently bought one of the RIA models and it is an accurate and reliable weapon. He has had a few issues with feeding and ejection but those were traced back to some commercial reloads he bought off the Internet. It feeds factory fodder just fine...no issues with ejection, either.

tazman
03-13-2016, 09:26 PM
I called a local indoor range 3 days ago about trying out a 1911 style pistol. They said they had an RIA 1911 in 45acp I could try. I got there today and guess what. They had sold it. I tried out a S&W M&P 45acp just for grins.
Short answer, I hated it. Long, gritty, heavy trigger. It didn't feel right in my hand at all. I couldn't shoot it at all accurately(I have yet to master double action with my revolver).
They had an SA Range Officer in the case that was new and I got to put some fingerprints on it. It felt much better. The trigger was also much better(no I didn't dry fire it. I dropped the hammer on my off hand thumb.). I didn't get to shoot it though. I don't know how it will feel in my hand when fired yet.
I need to find some one local who has one I can try out.

Virginia John
03-14-2016, 06:30 PM
If you were closer, I would let you try a few of mine.

Rodfac
03-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Here's a vote for the any of the Ruger 1911's...I've got both the 5" model as well as the CMD [all steel frame version]. Both are as good as any Colt I've ever owned [over a dozen in the last 50 yrs or so]. Accuracy is down in the 2" at 25 yds range with good loads. Both have all the features you want or need and none of the mall ninja ****. If you plan to carry it, the alloy frame model makes a lot of sense. The Range Officer is also a good choice. Best of luck, Rod PS: forget Kimber (superior advertising but problematic customer service...which you're going to need in all probability).

bgw45
03-18-2016, 05:25 PM
I own both the SA RO and the Ruger SR1911 5" 1911s. Of the two, I prefer the RO for plinking and target fun. The RO has been very accurate and reliable too. My Ruger is as reliable and accurate as the RO. I EDC the Ruger. Either would serve you well.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-18-2016, 06:30 PM
one more Vote for Ruger 1911 love the one i have

Para82
03-20-2016, 06:54 PM
I have a Springfield Compact 45 acp. Bought it used and hasn't been made for several years I think. Really nice pistol. Has Novak sights, ambi-safety, extended beaver tail and bull barrel. Commander size. Has been flawless. Looks like an early version of the RO. Would definitely recommend it if you can find one.

smorin2
03-20-2016, 08:09 PM
I have 2 Remington 1911''s,one blued/one stainless.So far i've been very pleased with the reliability of them,as soon as the weather gets warmer i'm going to find a load it really likes.

tazman
03-24-2016, 07:13 PM
I found a range that had one available to rent yesterday and ran 50 rounds through it. I realize this is sacrilege, but I didn't like it. It just didn't feel right in my hand. Recoil wasn't an issue.
I think I will stick with my revolvers and my 9mm.

dbarry1
03-24-2016, 07:45 PM
+1 on rock island. I found a NIB for under $400 on sale. It is very reliable. Never regret that purchase. That said, I plan on buying a ruger 1911.

oger
03-27-2016, 05:22 AM
I have more 1911 style 45s than I can count and the truth is that for the price the Ruger is the best deal by a long shot. The best std production is a Sig CBOB but you can buy at least 2 Rugers for what one costs and I don't think it's that much better. You might think about a Commander size in case you want to start carrying daily.

6bg6ga
03-27-2016, 05:48 AM
So far we have about three pages of which list what people own and you can be sure each persons 1911 is the best out there. I tend to buy on the higher end of the price range simply because I get all the wants just the way it comes in the box. You buy the cheaper 1911 and then your not happy with the trigger pull or the sights or lack of adjustability. Bottom line is you get what you pay for period. You can buy something from a table at the local gun show and you can start adding sights and then take it to a gun smith for a trigger job or send off to Brownells for parts just to get it into the realm of a 3" group. Stay away from the off brands the ones with the tapered barrels made in Brazil or some strange country. Seen a lot of junk at the guns shows. Generally Colt, Ruger, Rock Island, Springfield, S&W, and Kimber can deliver some good bang for the buck.

handloader357
03-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Another vote for the Ruger SR and Springfield. My only criticism for the ruger is that the barrel bushing could have been a bit tighter. Other than that, out of the box it was great.

I may get crucified for this, but out of the box my 9mm RO was horrific. Slide loose causing the dust cover to wear the finish off, sloppy gritty trigger, wouldn't lock open, extraction problems and probably some other quirks I can't remember. I documented everything and set up an RMA with Springfield. In exactly one week I had the gun back and it was almost as good as my custom 45. New and fitted slide stop, extractor. Slide was properly fit, bushing replaced and an excellent trigger job. Granted it sucks to have a lemon out of the box, their service dept gave me back one of the best feeling 1911s I've ever had the pleasure of shooting (and I've shot some pretty sweet ones).

I've had 2 Phillipines made guns that with a little effort were decent shooters but they've both moved on. I've got a Smith and Wesson 1911PD which is very accurate and reliable but with the external extractor, FB block and alloy frame it just lacks something. Its a great carry tool but nothing more. The Ruger and Springfield just feel classier to me.

Plate plinker
03-27-2016, 12:26 PM
I think i would try the Ruger on my next one. For the money ($-1000) anyway. I am told by a really great gunsmith that Springfields are good build guns. So cogitate on that bit of info.