PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Scofield

Poygan
03-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Looking for pros and cons for the Uberti Scofield #3 in .45 Colt. I like the looks of it and have never had anything similar. This is the one with the finger rest under the trigger guard.

clum553946
03-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I have one in 44-40. Fun as heck to shoot, really cool looking, fit, finish, & function good. Point of impact on mine is way off so I have to compensate for it when I shoot it.

Wayne Smith
03-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Do not shoot it with BP. When Uberti re-designed it with the longer cylinder they took out the protection for the base pin. It will fowl badly. Smokeless is fine, the metal is much stronger than the originals.

Tackleberry41
03-09-2016, 02:45 PM
I have the American model you might call it. The 'Russian' has the trigger guard spur, but also the target hump on the back of the frame, popular in Europe, not so much here. That model also has a different latch and rear sight. Mine you pull back on the sight to open it, the Russian you push up.

They do make a nice gun, its all the machine work involved that makes them expensive. I tried to get one in 44-40, just couldn't find one, so ended up with the 45 colt mid length barrel. You would think with a $1000 pistol they could do better than a cardboard box, even cheap auto loaders come with a decent case. And mine needed work, had to take the guts out, finish up what should have been done at the factory. I did send off to Uberti about it before I did anything, but never heard a word back.

Its an interesting gun, nice that you can use speed loaders with it. Its accurate enough, poa is not off, so shoots straight. Fits in the same holster as my blackhawk. But do have to keep track of ammo as you have to stick w standard pressure ammo. Its not the strength of the metal, but the latch that holds it closed.

Poygan
03-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Doesn't seem that a lot of folks have any experience with this particular pistol. Wouldn't want to buy one retail and find out it isn't too desirable....

Tackleberry41
03-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Oh its a nice gun.

bedbugbilly
03-11-2016, 11:00 PM
If they are anything like m Ubertis (SAA) then the fit and finish should be great and good quality. I've only had the opportunity to handle one - it was at a LGS that someone had special ordered in 45. Let's just say that it was VERY nice and made me drool. I personally think that the reason that a lot of folks don't have one is due to the price of them. At roughly 1K, you want to want one pretty bad. Personally, if I were a "1 gun guy" . . . then I guess I could justify the expense . . . my problem is that there are way too many other wheel guns out there that I'd like to have. I'm thinking my nest will probably be a Uberti 1851 Navy Richards & Mason conversion. I have had Ubertis in the past and currently have three of them . . . a '51 Navy, a 357 Uberti Bisley & a Uberti 45 Colt SAA Cattleman. All are high quality, good shooting handguns and a lot of fun. I hope that more will respond to this thread on the OP's post as I'd like to hear more on the various Uberti Schofield models . . . and pictures would be nice too! LOL

marlin39a
03-13-2016, 09:07 AM
I handled a Uberti Schofield 5" at Winterrange in Phoenix last month. I can see one in my future. I was instantly reminded of "Unforgiven" and the modern "3:10 to Yuma". I own 3 Ubertis and find the quality excellent.

scattershot
03-13-2016, 09:34 AM
A friend has the Schofield in .45 Colt. It's a beautiful gun, well made and finished, and a blast to shoot. If you're thinking of getting one, go for it. You won't regret it.

AtomHeartMother
03-13-2016, 04:27 PM
I have the 5 inch Schofield as well, in 45 colt. Absolutely love it. I found one at buds for $860. After my heart palpitations subsided, I ordered it immediately. Beautiful fit and finish. Trigger is decent and continuing to wear in. My sights are right on the money at 25 yards. But this was one of the more difficult single actions to learn to shoot for me. I was hitting low and left initially so I had a few friends shoot it and sure enough it was my crappy fundamentals pulling me off target. I got some snap caps and practiced trigger pull while watching tv....worked wonders. I think the Russian model would be easier to shoot with the different frame shape. You won't regret getting one. To me, these kinds of guns are keepsakes...something you'll have your whole life. Hks speed loaders work for these as well... I think the ones for the s&w model 25? I'd have to look and see.