PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Boyd featherweight stock or experience with one?

guywitha3006
03-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Not sure if this is the right spot for the topic but I will put it here.

I am looking at getting one of these stocks to use for a lightweight (they weigh less than 2.5# if I remember right) Remington 700 (16.5" 300 blackout barrel). This is mainly going to be a for fun plinking rifle/.22 replacement. I may eventually bed it but not anytime soon. I was going to drop it in a MDT LSS chasis but I can't justify a $500 stock for it (and using mags sized for 308), but I kind of like the idea of a wood/laminate stock to give my eyes a break from the rest of the plastic in my safe.

So the good, bad, or ugly?

The one I am looking at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/812849/boyds-ross-featherweight-thumbhole-rifle-stock-remington-700-bdl-long-action-factory-barrel-channel-laminated-wood-brown-drop-in

shredder
03-08-2016, 05:56 PM
I have 3 featherweight thumbholes from Boyd's and I'll be darned if I can find any feathers in them. They are plenty heavy and very stable. I have one on my bolt action .22, one on a bolt action .223 and one on a mauser action 30/06. I love them all. I can say my offhand scores on gophers wet way up with the thumbhole stock. My .223 has the "camo" black green and plain pattern and it gets a lot of attention when I take it to the range. I can honestly say that my Boyd's stocks are all very high quality and the design is excellent for me.

guywitha3006
03-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Shredder that is awesome to hear. Right now it is sitting in a fugly Hogue overmold and the stock is HEAVY for what it is. How is the length of pull for you?

shredder
03-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Ample to fit my 6 ft1 frame. I cut mine to 13 3/4ish so I can shoot well with a jacket on.