PDA

View Full Version : Stripper Clips

bouncer50
03-08-2016, 02:16 PM
What i have notice people who shoot old Mausers, Enfields, Nagrants, Swiss and a few more older military rifles just lost the old art of using stripper clips to reload ammo. My dad bought me my first Mauser at 14 years old he taught me to use stripper clips. He was a WW11 vet he told me you had to reload fast in a battle or you were dead.

leebuilder
03-08-2016, 03:11 PM
You are right!!. Not hard to use at all, and I have sausagefingerituts. I have used them in matches, a bit of practice and you are good. The new tin style Mosin stripper clips are met to lacirate your fingers and 303 clips work much better after an hour in the brass tumbler.
Be well

Mica_Hiebert
03-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I think most just lost the stripper clips...

mtnman31
03-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I personally use clips, but some probably don't use them because of cost. Not all, but some clips aren't cheap. Look at the cost of Carcano clips or 6.5 Dutch clips. I got a 7.5 Swiss a few years back and was shocked at the prices on clips. I have one of the modern, plastic reproduction clips I use with the K31.

Scharfschuetze
03-08-2016, 09:21 PM
I used them routinely when using a bolt rifle in national match competition. It was the only way to get your rounds shot off properly and within time constraints during the 200 and 300 yard rapid fire stages.

I still use them for giggles at the range with numerous styles of old military bolt rifles.

Soldiers still use 10 shot stripper clips with a magazine adapter to load M16/M4 magazines when the ammo is issued with the clips for combat use.

Mk42gunner
03-09-2016, 12:24 AM
One reason few people use stripper clips for bolt action rifles anymore is the near universal use of rifle scopes. Kind of hard to use one with a scope blocking the access.

With that said, I used to use them to carry rattle free extra rounds while deer hunting. Load the rifle and a couple of five round clips in my pocket and I was set.

Robert

bouncer50
03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
I personally use clips, but some probably don't use them because of cost. Not all, but some clips aren't cheap. Look at the cost of Carcano clips or 6.5 Dutch clips. I got a 7.5 Swiss a few years back and was shocked at the prices on clips. I have one of the modern, plastic reproduction clips I use with the K31. A Siamese Mauser stripper clips goes for a 100.00 bucks each the last i hear quite rare to find.

merlin101
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
A Siamese Mauser stripper clips goes for a 100.00 bucks each the last i hear quite rare to find.
For that price I'd load rounds individually too!

GhostHawk
03-09-2016, 10:14 PM
I have noticed something. Stripper clips for my Yugo SKS double stack 10 round magazine load like butter. Smooth, flawless, no hangups.

Stripper clips in my Mosin have mostly nothing but hangups. But it is a single stack magazine. The loaded round has no where to go, can't slip sideways like a double stack mag can. So it is get 2 in, 3rd gets an odd angle, 4 hangs up and 5 is left in the clip.

If I put my thumb at the base of the round, left up a bit on the nose with my fingers i have about a 50/50 chance of getting 4 or more into the mag.

Also the clips are not made the same, they have those big side rails, more friction, more drag.

While I do use stripper clips with my Mosin they are not the joy to load that the 10 round strippers for my SKS are. Man I positively love those, one smooth shove, clickity x 10 and voila, ready to rock.

What about strippers with a double stack 5.56/.223?

Le Loup Solitaire
03-09-2016, 10:21 PM
I used to use stripper clips with my 03 s; they were convenient and fast however the little tabs that keep the rounds from inadvertently slipping off the end of the clip can only be bent so many times before they break. So I kept a few for display and stopped using them. LLS

imashooter2
03-09-2016, 11:49 PM
I suspect the root of it is that very few folks are loading their mil surps in battle...

Artful
03-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Stripper clips in my Mosin have mostly nothing but hangups. But it is a single stack magazine. The loaded round has no where to go, can't slip sideways like a double stack mag can. So it is get 2 in, 3rd gets an odd angle, 4 hangs up and 5 is left in the clip.

If I put my thumb at the base of the round, left up a bit on the nose with my fingers i have about a 50/50 chance of getting 4 or more into the mag.

Also the clips are not made the same, they have those big side rails, more friction, more drag.

How are you arranging the rims when you load you 7.62x54R into the clips?

While I do use stripper clips with my Mosin they are not the joy to load that the 10 round strippers for my SKS are. Man I positively love those, one smooth shove, clickity x 10 and voila, ready to rock.

What about strippers with a double stack 5.56/.223?
They do OK but I prefer
https://jhordanmed.org/prodimages/419.jpg
mines older and made out of steel - Have one in 9mm, 30 carbine, 223, 308
works on any double stack of those calibers.

Another one That I have for AK mags and some others is the LuLa
http://www.thecountryshed.com/LU10B-3.jpg
for Single Feed pistol or SMG magazines I like UpLula
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/bf/d2/29/bfd2292696eff861c907a77cafe317b2.jpg
for 22LR in my Ruger Mk2 I uses
https://ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/gns-127_1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

I have not tried this for stipper clips but like the looks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vrJHyGdVV4

goryshaw
03-10-2016, 03:23 PM
I used to use stripper clips with my 03 s; they were convenient and fast however the little tabs that keep the rounds from inadvertently slipping off the end of the clip can only be bent so many times before they break. So I kept a few for display and stopped using them. LLS

If you can find Swedish Mauser clips they work much better than the USGI clips. Beautifully made with a spring to hold the rounds, rather than the tabs on USGI clips. They're what I use with my M1903s and M1917s for vintage military matches. I picked up a box of 40 of them on Amazon a few years ago, but haven't seen them there for a while.

tbx-4
03-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Here ya go.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/10-NEW-5-RD-Swedish-Mauser-Stripper-Clips-M96-M38-M1903-/200722918510?nav=SEARCH

A few years ago they were selling the 40 piece box of good used clips for $15. I bought some and found they work great for .308.

Went2kck
03-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Stripper clips for the Mosin nagant ar difficult to use. The one used to push them down you hold up on and press them down with that one. I just gave up trying to use them as it was to hard to do. the clips for the K31 and the sks is very easy. any way that is my 2 cents worth on military clips and my experience with them.

I'll Make Mine
03-13-2016, 07:48 PM
When I went to Appleseed (is it four years ago?) with my Mosin, I loaded about 400 rounds from strippers over two days. I clipped my thumbnail a couple times getting 'em in, but I got pretty damned good results loading. I should point out that I had practiced loading the clips with the correct rim positions, and had adjusted my interrupter, before the event. Four hundred rounds, without cleaning, and not a single rim lock, FTE, or any other ammunition related problem -- except that extraction got really stiff after a shoulder split the second morning.

mrrch
03-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Stripper clips are part of the experience for me. I have to use them with my Carcano. My Mosin loads fine but I bought some original strippers not the newer knockoffs.
PS I am looking for more Carcano clips at a reasonable price.

bruce drake
03-13-2016, 09:50 PM
speak for yourself. I still shoot rifles in National Matches with stripper clips.

country gent
03-13-2016, 11:01 PM
There are blocks made for remington 700s, Model 70s and ibelieve savage rifle that bolt on with the back scope block screws to allow use of stripper clips. I have one on my model 70 match rifle. Works good, check for sharp edges before installing and using though. Early pre 64 model 70s had the guide cut in the reciever ring from the factory. One reason for the demise of stripper clips is all the conversion units available no to convert to removeable mags.

leadman
03-14-2016, 02:18 AM
When I could still shoot in matches I would use stripper clips for the 03a3 and an enbloc for the Garand. I have some for the #4MKII Enfield and they work well. I tthink the finish on the Mosin clips makes it hard to use them. I suppose a Dremel with a wire brush might help this.
I just put a Weaver 92a scope base on the barrel in place of the rear sight base on my last Bubba 1891 Argentine Mauser. Installed an AIM 2X7 pistol scope on it so can use the stripper clips. Still have some work to do to it but it is going to go in the motor home and hope it might see some time on an elk hunt this year.

kawasakifreak77
03-14-2016, 11:04 PM
As with all the other neat things to go along with old war rifles, I have several varieties of strippers & enjoy using (most) of them.

The Mosin is the worst. I'm getting better but I swear some vodka swilling Rooskie invented these only as a joke to slice your thumb open.

The Swiss is odd for sure & lotsa $$$. I got two with my last K31, thinking about getting 5-6 more. I try not to use them often as I'm afraid of damaging one. Now for the price of two clips you can buy a new repop magazine, although I'm not sure of the quailty.

SKS clips: I sold my SKS but have the chinese adapter to load AK mags along with some Yugo M67 on clips. Works pretty decent once you get the hang of it.

USGI 5.56 clips I use to carry blackout ammo on. I don't have an AR, just a boltgun but I can slip a couple in my back pants pocket & the rounds are ready to go without rattling!

Mauser clips... Ah now these are fun! Five rounds fast as you can jam 'em in there & then just bang to bolt home! The clip goes flying with a nice little ting noise.

The Swedes, just like their rifles, are the crown jewels of Mauser clips. Even on rifles that won't accept them, I use the Swede clips to carry 22-250 or 30-06 ammo quietly & organized.

stag15
03-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Yeah a lot of the surplus rifles lose functionality when the stripper clips aren't employed. Dropping 10rds into an SKS in the blink of an eye really makes it a formidable rifle.

bob208
03-18-2016, 08:38 AM
stripper clips ! I thought you were talking about something the strippers wore for you to put money in.

RU shooter
03-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Clip reloading a mosin is probably the worst of any of the misurps the only ones that ever worked well for me in my Finn M39 were the Finnish Tikka made and marked ones with the little fingers on the ends to help hold the rounds in . I shot it in a few vintage matches but much prefer shooting and reloading the Springfields with the older brass clips .

rondog
03-18-2016, 09:30 PM
No clips for me, my arthritic thumbs hate me enough already.

Eddie2002
03-18-2016, 10:25 PM
Been using the Springfield A3 03 brass stripper clips for my 7.7 Jap with no problems, don't have any Arisaka clips and probably couldn't afford them anyways.
Haven't had much luck using stripper clips for my Mosin, need to stack the rounds right in the clip for any chance of them loading right.

Artful
03-19-2016, 02:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wf4B7GyArM

Artful
03-19-2016, 02:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJY-wE4O9c

Scharfschuetze
03-19-2016, 09:13 AM
I load my 303 British clips in the same manner as demonstrated in the video for the Mosin Nagant.

GONRA
03-27-2016, 09:41 AM
You guys can check this out.
GONRA believes "SKS clips" and "SKS clip slots" vary enuf "country-to-country"
that one has to select/match accordingly.
Yugo clips may be "best fit" in Yugo SKS's etc.

If you think STRIPPER clips are crazy, semiauto rifle ENBLOC clips are worse.
Try getting 10 round .276 Vickers Pedersen, 5 round WWI 8mm Lebel,
5 round 14.5x114 Soviet PTRS-41 enbloc clips!