PDA

View Full Version : New guy, just purchased a Virginian Dragoon .44 magnum

Pro Gun
03-08-2016, 01:47 AM
Picked up a Virginian Dragoon .44 magnum and I have a few questions about it. My gun was rather a dark/dirty color around the frame. I polished it out, now it looks shiny and silver. Was that bad idea? The barrel is blue, and the bullet cylinder, all the screws are blue, and so is the handle and trigger. Mine says We The People 1776-1976 on the bottom of the handle. I took off the black Pachmayer grips because I prefer to find original wood grips.

I removed the hammer for cleaning. I noticed there is a paul or something on the right side of the hammer held to the hammer by a pin, I think. May I ask what the function of that part is?

I'm trying to figure out the root cause for scratch lines on my cylinder, and thought since this "paul" looks worn, that it may be the cause. I'm trying to find all the information I can about this single action gun. I really like it, though I have not fired it yet.

I have to guess my gun is in about fair to good condition. With a tooth pick, I can feel the rifle lands at the tip of the barrel. It has a 7.5" barrel.

I'm going to the local gun show this Saturday. I'm looking for a good pack of bullets. I'm thinking all lead slugs. A good leather holster, and the grips. My revolver functions great as far as I know. It is now squeaky clean!

Thank you for any information, or where I can look for it.

your friend, John

DougGuy
03-08-2016, 01:57 AM
Probably rubbed out any of the color case finish left on the frame, and any collector value went with it as well as a result.

Turn lines are normal for a single action revolver, they ALL have them. There is no "root cause" that's how it's made.

44man
03-08-2016, 10:01 AM
I never paid much attention to the hammer plunger or PAWL as you called it. I believe it rides the back of the cylinder latch to force it down so the cylinder can turn as you cock the gun. Then pops away so the latch spring will force the latch back up.
The latch pops up very soon to ride the cylinder all around so it makes a mark. Doug is correct and nothing to be done. S&W calls it a cylinder stop.
I never held a blue Dragoon, mine were stainless so you must have a special edition that was color case hardened. Or it had the stuff Ruger applied to give the look.

Pro Gun
03-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Hello, and thanks for the replies! Yea, I guess from a collector's stand point, the fact that I polished all the "case-hardened color" from the receiver will bring down the value considerably. That's fine by me. I have read a thread from this site, dating back to 2009, which in discussion, refers to how well-made of a "Colt clone" this revolver is, and that the Dragoon is made heavy for the .44 magnum round. Also, I'm relieved to find out that those scratches along the cylinder are typical not just for this model, but other manufactures as well.

Also, thanks for the reply in regard to the "pawl", described as a "kicker" in the parts diagram listed as #31, if my memory serves me well. Mine appears to have wear in the form of "mushroom" on the top, I suppose. I should keep an eye drawn in case I come across a replacement piece. As said before, this Dragoon functions well before firing, to the best of my knowledge. I married this pistol, and it's a keeper. I wish to frequent this forum often.

The intent of my pistol is for home protection, and recreation. I'm looking for a "all lead slug" type of round that is good for both of my practicalities. I do not wish to bother with other types of rounds, nor someone's reloads. Don't need no bear killers either. I would like to post some pictures of my pistol later!

Thanks again!

So,

44man
03-08-2016, 02:37 PM
They were STRONG, wonderful guns. But fingers were stuck in the pie as we see today with MR and the fine BFR revolvers to go to pot.
S&W also went through bad times and DW went to hell with owner changes.
The Virginia guns were short lived, maybe shorter then most.

cainttype
03-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Your Virginian only looks like an oversized SAA Colt. Most of the internals have different designs, and none are interchangeable with the SAA or any of it's clones, IIRC.
If your pistol functions properly, and locks up well, avoid any urges to "tweak" the action unless you are VERY familiar with trigger jobs on single actions. Original parts for the VD can be very difficult, if not impossible, to find.

It was common years ago to see SAA trigger/bolt springs being intentionally bent in order lighten the trigger pull weight. That can/will weaken that hardened spring easily and cause one, or both, of the legs to break.
A new trigger/bolt spring for the VD will have to be made. It is not interchangeable with any clone that I'm aware of.... DON'T DO IT!!! lol

The Virginians were/are good revolvers. Big, tough, and plenty accurate for field use... Kinda large for home/self-defense use, in my mind, but definitely a serious threat eliminator.
Enjoy your new toy.

Pro Gun
03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
cainttype, Thank you for the clarification on the VD to the Colt Single Action Army parts and components differences. At least now, I'm closer to the facts of this VD! Yea, I don't preform any kind of special service to any of my guns to enhance, or make shoot faster. I do have a problem if my gun is not squeaky-clean, along with all the thread screws being scrubbed, and the over-all parts components of it. I do enjoy the take down, cleaning, and reassembling of them as well as shooting.

Just glad I took a chance of the purchase of this, because I never heard of the VD before, ever! Seems to have fine reviews and a good support group! I'll be doing a follow up on this one I have once I find some nice original wood grips. Don't really care for these Pachmeyer grips.

When I first got the VD, the finish on the cylinder frame was a blackish, dirty, stained looking of sorts. I guess I should have taken more care to polish it. But now the bluing shines, and the cylinder frame almost gleams a shiny silver, giving the pistol a two-tone look that is pleasant in my eyes! I picked it up for $250, came with a box of 50, and a nice hunting holster rig, #4, Uncle Mike's. I guess that's the way it goes!

44man
03-09-2016, 12:55 PM
You did good! Now it has been a long time since I had my VD and can't remember the action.