PDA

View Full Version : Auto Ordnance WWII style 1911

ndnchf
03-07-2016, 08:13 PM
After a lot of research I picked up a new Auto Ordnance 1911 over the weekend. It is a pretty good rendition of a WWII pistol. The main exceptions being a series 80 firing mechanism and a lower ejection port. Overall I think it's a very nice pistol for well under $500. And it's USA made too. I'm off to the range tomorrow to try it out.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/World%20Wars/AO1911_zps8jiuhmnk.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/World%20Wars/AO1911_zps8jiuhmnk.jpg.html)

palmettosunshine
03-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Let us know how she does. I just posted on the Ruger forum in a thread about the "Gun you're glad you got rid of" or something to that affect. Guess which gun I listed first? Yep, Auto Ordnance 1911. Now mine was from 1986 so I would expect (and have read) that they have made numerous changes in that time.

ndnchf
03-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Yes, from everything I've read, the Kahr made AO pistols are far better than the old West Hurley guns. But i'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Thin Man
03-08-2016, 09:28 AM
About 4 months ago a guy I know was trying out his recently acquired Auto Ordnance 1911. He had fired a few mags of ammo through it and decided to stop firing to save ammo. He dropped the magazine and tried to draw the slide to the rear. For whatever reason he had difficulty in getting the slide to move. After a few failed attempts he wrapped both hands around the pistol to push the front of the slide toward the rear of the frame. That is when things got bad. The firearm discharged while he had his left hand wrapped around the front of the slide. The bullet passed through his hand and the doctors were unable to save his pinkie finger. He brought the pistol (still wearing blood debris) to me for examination to see if there was anything mechanically incorrect with it. After I had given the pistol a thorough examination and function check, I announced to him that there was nothing wrong with it. He grinned slightly and responded he plans to keep the pistol and learn better how to use it. Isn't this putting the horse in front of the cart?

Thin Man

DougGuy
03-08-2016, 09:58 AM
I built two 1911s last year using the Kahr made AO lowers, $300 each from GB complete frame assemblies. Used but like new in case.

Very well made lowers, fit and function is very good for the price. Both slides needed lapping to the frame rails which makes for a really good fit. Built one WWII era GI replica with WWII Remington Rand slide, HS barrel, and Colt parts. Built a Commander with Colt slide and Colt parts out of the other one.

Beware the thumb safeties in those. You can cock it and lock it and pull the trigger and see .020" or more of sear movement at the hammer hooks. Not good! Other than that? Two thumbs up!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911A1/20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911A1/20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911%20Commander/NewAutoOrdnanceColtCommanderLeftSide640_zps734p3kr 9.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911%20Commander/NewAutoOrdnanceColtCommanderLeftSide640_zps734p3kr 9.jpg.html)

Der Gebirgsjager
03-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Sounds like you got a great deal, because this very morning on Auction Arms I saw one with a buy-it-now price of $569.00.

ndnchf
03-08-2016, 07:44 PM
I stopped at the range today on the way home from work. I shot 100 rounds through the AO. It worked flawlessly except for one case that didn't eject fully. Cleared it and went on my merry way. 50 rounds were fiocci 230gr FMJ, the other 50 were Georgia Arms 230gr FMJ reloads. I used all 3 mags and all worked just fine. It also shot right to point of aim at 15yds. I am very pleased with it!

Harry O
03-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I have an Auto Ordnance from the 1980's. I got it because I needed one and it was exceptionally cheap. I did not want to lose much if it was stolen. It will never be a target gun, but it was/is at least as accurate as the surplus WW2 1911's they were competing against at the time. And, they always went bang. Don't get it if you are wanting a Kimber or something similar.

CLAYPOOL
03-08-2016, 11:59 PM
DOUG GUY ; Would you be interested in a trade deal with your Remington Rand parts gun and a brand new PARA SS EXPERT. ? I would talk some cash for me as its brand new and has Match barrel, etc. P.M. me if interested.

DougGuy
03-09-2016, 12:19 AM
DOUG GUY ; Would you be interested in a trade deal with your Remington Rand parts gun and a brand new PARA SS EXPERT. ? I would talk some cash for me as its brand new and has Match barrel, etc. P.M. me if interested.

Thank you for the offer but I will gladly keep this ol' girl, it's a real sweet shooter, VERY accurate to boot!

ndnchf
03-13-2016, 09:16 PM
I stopped at the range again Friday and put another 100 rounds through the AO. It worked flawlessly and hits right to point of aim. I couldn't be happier with it. But I'm not so pleased with my aging eyes. A sharp, clear front sight seems to elude my eyes. Being matt black makes it even more difficult. After researching paint to use on the front sight, I found flourescent yellow/green nail polish. I applied two coats to the front sight and it really seems to help.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/World%20Wars/IMG_20160313_111205_edit1_zpsekjqizhv.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/World%20Wars/IMG_20160313_111205_edit1_zpsekjqizhv.jpg.html)

GhostHawk
03-13-2016, 10:09 PM
I have found as I slipped to the wrong side of 60 that my eyes had the same problem.

My solution was an old half empty bottle of White Out typing correction fluid.

The bright white shows up very well in most situations. Only where there is too much light coming at you from downrange does it tend to disappear. But you can still see it because the front blade stands there blocking the light. So it looks dark instead of white.

I have been doing all my firearms with open sights with it, makes a big difference to these old eyes.

kidmma
03-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Same problem with those GI sights. Same solutions, white out and paint. ;)

CLAYPOOL
03-16-2016, 09:36 PM
I have been hearing GREAT things on the ATI's. They are slightly cheaper than the Auto Ordnance guns. New Christen youth camp director was out this past weekend with a new Ati Military model and he was passing 180 rounds when I came to my range without a hiccup...

runfiverun
03-17-2016, 12:15 AM
mine didn't come with no extra magazines.
the chip mccormick ones seem to do well in these at least with 7 rds in the 8 rd mag's.
I'm gonna pick up a 7 rounder to try next.
the trigger is a ton better than the norinco 1911 i have, and it's magazine works just fine in the auto-ord.

I have been nothing but happy with mine, a little oil from time to time and a spray down of the insides with a cleaner of some sort every 2-3 years and it just keeps on going.
it does shoot a little low at 25 yds, but I can live with that.

Hardcast416taylor
03-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Same problem with those GI sights. Same solutions, white out and paint. ;)

For myself and several friends and neighbors now we have been using Testor`s model paint in Fluorescent orange color for front sight pickup.Robert

fastdadio
03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
I bought an Auto Ordnance/Thompson 1911 back in the late 80's right when I got out of the army. It's a darn fine GI spec pistol. Put well north of 10K through it. Shot PPC league with it. All boolit types functioned without any failures. I gave it to my son and it's still running strong.

Bullwolf
03-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Same problem with those GI sights. Same solutions, white out and paint. :wink:

For myself and several friends and neighbors now we have been using Testor`s model paint in Fluorescent orange color for front sight pickup.Robert

I'm in the same boat.

I bought a bottle of inexpensive fluorescent orange, fluorescent green, and of course plain old white lacquer fingernail polish, just for the front sights.

The brighter colors help aging eyes focus on the sights better. Most of the time white is my preferred color for this, sometimes the brighter fluorescent colors work better for me with a pistol. A splash of fingernail polish remover will quickly remove the paint, so I don't think of it as a permanent modification, but it definitely has some staying power.

Also keep a bottle of black fingernail polish around for when I don't appreciate the white outline, or underlining on a rear sight.

- Bullwolf

No_1
03-18-2016, 01:23 AM
My daughters save old partial bottles of nail polish for me so I can paint the sights. The florescent orange seems to work best for my eyes.

45workhorse
03-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Have had a AO since 1993.
Bought up grades, Novak fixed rear sight, Beretta front sight welded on. Full length guide rod, 21 lbs spring, beaver tail, commander hammer, extended slide release, and safety. Coated with a sprayed on coating from Brownells. Had all the work done by USMC armour. Cost me 1500 38 special reloads, I already had the brass and castboolits. I think I made out good. It needs recoating, today. Would carry it daily if it had a rail, for a light, K9 handler. One for the lead one for pistol mounted light.
IWB holster from Milt Sparks, for concealed carry.
Nope not for sale.