PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Shell Reloader - Lee or Mec Jr?

mmesa005
03-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Hello All,

I am planning on casting slugs and reloading lead shot for my 2 older 12 gauge shotguns. My local range only has Trap but my initial plan is to load slugs and some shot just to shoot at the target range. No hunting or skeet.

I am totally new at this and need to purchase a reloading press. I like the value of the Lee press as it comes with all the bushings, etc. whereas I do see many people use the Mec line of presses. I noticed that if I purchase the Mec Jr. press I have to purchase additional bushings based on the powder used. I also read that some use a separate powder measure which I assume negates the need for the charge bushing?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Silverboolit
03-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Check out the Ponsness-Warren line. If you may start shooting clays, you will appreciate the loader. Check E-Bay for used. IF you are shooting an autoloading shotgun, the P-W insures smooth loading as it gives more of a factory style crimp. I used one for 20 years and had no trouble at all with it. Never broke down.

farmerjim
03-07-2016, 08:40 PM
The Lee is cheep and will reload, but it is slow and a bit awkward. If you are only doing a few, the Lee will be fine, otherwise go for a better loader.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-07-2016, 08:52 PM
I've been using a Lee Load All II, and for what it cost and for what I need it for I'm very satisfied. However, I have two criticisms of it. (1) They are set to fold crimp in 6 or 8 segments, and you can't roll crimp with it. A lot of folks that load slugs roll crimp. I haven't been loading slugs, but was given a large amount of once-fired police 00 buckshot hulls that had originally been roll crimped, and in order to use them with birdshot I had to purchase the BPI roll crimp tool that is used by most in conjunction with a drill press run at low speed. (2) Although it's had to observe looking at the reloaded shells, they apparently are not quite as tapered at the end as factory loads or those loaded on more expensive presses. That doesn't matter with break action guns, which is mostly what I use mine in, but they do seem to hang up sometimes when cycling through a pump or semi-auto, stubbing the edge of the end of the shell on the edge of the chamber and causing a jam. So, depending on what you're going to be loading and what you're going to be shooting your reloads in, the Lee offers good initial purchase price, is fun to use, and will load satisfactory shells for most uses. If any of this concerns you, then I'd recommend moving up to the next step which is a MEC.

mmesa005
03-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

hunter49
03-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I have both and have no problem with the Lee Load All II. The Lee loader is an economical option for loading shotgun shells. It does have some cons which are it does leak a little powder (not much), when changing the powder and shot the complete loader needs to be picked up to dump out shot and powder from hoppers. There are some youtube vids on how to modify hoppers to make emptying the hoppers easier however, I have not done so.

I have owned my Lee Load All II for about 2-1/2 years now and have had no issues with loading shells other than what I mentioned above and have been happy with it.

The Mec 600jr is a nice press and I use that one for my .410 loads, very easy to use and no problems changing shot and powder. As far as purchasing seperate bushings there is a universal charge bar available making the bushings almost obsolete, the universal charge bar does have some limitations. Recommend you do the research on the universal charge bar. Runs about $45 - $65 depending on where you purchase.

I definately would recommend checking out ballisticproducts.com for some of your components and also get the 20 gauge nitro cards from ballistic products to fit inside your 12 gauge wads to get that factory crimp. The nitro cards will not be required on all your reloads but there are times when the powder, wad and payload your using do not come up high enough within the hull which will cause an ugly over crimp.

For the money the Lee Load All II is a good place to start reloading shotgun shells economically.

toallmy
03-07-2016, 09:16 PM
If you are using a auto loader shotgun you should consider a loader with a tampered final crimp . But for a break open or pump both lee or mec will work if you are just starting on loading shotgun shells . The first thing you should get is the lyman shotshell reloading handbook . Their is a lot of pressure difference in swapping around components . It is kind of handy having the whole set of bushings wile trying different loads . The lee is plastic but if you take care of it it will last for years , wile a Mec jr is mostly metal and will last a lifetime and parts are available for a Mec . What gage are you going to load you can find a lot of Mec loaders on eBay , or you could post in swap and selling you are looking for one . I must mention look into roll crimper go to ( Ballistic Products ) It could get you started . Good luck and be safe

toallmy
03-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Wow I must type slow 3-4 post wile I was typing .

mmesa005
03-07-2016, 09:42 PM
All the advice is greatly appreciated! I have 2 older semi-auto shotguns, a Remington 1100 vintage 1973, and a Browning A5 Twelve Lite, vintage 1960. I did purchase a rifled barrel for the Remington (for slugs). I have read most sabot's / slugs do well with rifled barrels and roll crimps.

Mk42gunner
03-08-2016, 01:08 AM
For most MEC's you can buy an adjustable charge bar, doing away with the need to keep track of all the separate bushings.

Robert

MT Chambers
03-10-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm a Ponsness Warren fan as well but the are more costly, the Mec is a much better machine then the LEE, NO QUESTION.

mmesa005
03-10-2016, 08:12 PM
I purchased a Mec Sizemaster SM82 fully refurbished. Got what I thought was a good deal compared to other offerings. I did check the PW machines but as you pointed out they are $$$ although no doubt excellent reloaders. I am just starting out and this will be more than adequate for my needs.

Thanks for all the advice!

W.R.Buchanan
03-10-2016, 08:22 PM
You'll be happy with the MEC and it will serve you well.

Randy

Hardcast416taylor
03-10-2016, 10:37 PM
I had the adjustable shot/powder bar on my 700 Versa Mec for about 2 years. I finally grew tired of having to continually change the adjustments for shot charge, powder type and weight and of course there was the 12 and 20 gauges I loaded for. I went back to shot bars with bushings for powder drops. Don`t trust the powder drop too much on the adjustable bar. The charge has to be re-caliberated after each change with a powder scale. I found that even re-setting the powder setting back to the same exact setting I had used before gave me a different weight drop.Robert

mmesa005
03-10-2016, 11:39 PM
I am going to start with the adjustable bar then see what happens from there. Being new I did not want to get into not having the bar/bushing I need and waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Once I get some experience I may go in that direction?

fecmech
03-11-2016, 12:04 PM
There is some backlash in the adjustable bar. As long as you know that and come from the same direction when setting the bar you will get the same drops.

mmesa005
03-11-2016, 02:27 PM
fecmech,

I think I understand, any chance of translating words to pictures?

Thank you!

fecmech
03-12-2016, 08:37 PM
When you set the bar for powder and you get the desired load at lets say at 5/30 by turning the knob clockwise. If you change the setting for some reason, maybe another powder and then want to go back the the previous setting of 5/30 you must make your final approach to 5/30 in the clockwise direction. If for example you were coming back from a higher setting in the ccw direction you would want to go to maybe 5/10 and then go back cw to 5/30. There is about 1/4 turn backlash (in mine) where if you change direction there is no movement in chamber size. I hope I have not confused you further.

bdicki
03-12-2016, 08:59 PM
I am going to start with the adjustable bar then see what happens from there. Being new I did not want to get into not having the bar/bushing I need and waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Once I get some experience I may go in that direction?
You can buy a lot of bushings for the price of the UCB. It should have at least a bar and one bushing with it. Bar is marked on the end 118 is an ounce and one eighth. Look at the bushing charts for the powder you are going to use and buy the 2 next higher sizes. Weight your powder, don't trust the charts.
http://www.gamaliel.com/mecbarsbushings/mec_bushings.asp
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/IMG_0807_zps4hmeylot.jpg

Dragonheart
03-12-2016, 09:41 PM
If you go with a Ponsness-Warren your shells will fit in any gun because it doesn't reload it re-manufactures. I saw a PW- model 375 on Craig s List a couple of weeks ago for $60.

r1kk1
03-12-2016, 10:14 PM
I love my 375c. The UCB works only with MEC. MEC has the largest assortment of powder bushing compared to any manufacturer. You can get a bushing adapter to use MEC powder bushings in P/W, Hornady, RCBS and Spolar. You can buy bushings from Titan Reloading a sponsor on this site. I have them all plus P/W, Hornady and some RCBS. My 375 does 10-410 so the reason I have so many bushings.

take care

r1kk1

mmesa005
03-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks again for all the great tips! I do think I understand the powder adjustment? After I get some experience I can decide on going with bushings / separate charge bars. I know Craigslist can have some good bargains, however, if they are not local then they are just teasers :( Interestingly just today a Hornady 366 listed locally for a couple of hundred bucks. But in the end I need to contain my desire for bells and whistles and stick to basics so I can safely learn.