PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Spartan press

badgeredd
05-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Does anyone have a Lyman Spartan Press? Anybody know anything about them? A friend ask me about one and I haven't a clue. He wants it to reload pistol ammo, mainly 38 Spec and 357 Mag. Thanks in advance for you help.

dave slavage
05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
i have one had it for about 7 years now
love the dang thing its a slab of beef thats for sure i put some force on mine and riped the dang thing off the table... its now set up for just depriming and for forming brass..
have a rock chucker that dose its job and then some..
Dave

badgeredd
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
i have one had it for about 7 years now
love the dang thing its a slab of beef thats for sure i put some force on mine and riped the dang thing off the table... its now set up for just depriming and for forming brass..
have a rock chucker that dose its job and then some..
Dave

Thanks Dave. I appreciate you answering.

skeet1
05-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I have one that I bought of Ebay for just a few dollars. Whe I got it , it looked like i paid to much but after cleaning and repainting it looks like new. For some uses the open "C" type press can be very handy. Recently I used it for swedging out military primer pockest on a bunch of GI 06 cases. When it came to seating the bullets it just seemed handier than my Rockchucker. When all is said and done their isn't to much you can't do with a Spartan Press.

Skeet1

LAH
05-03-2008, 07:20 AM
I've had a couple through the shop and they work fine. I like the C press. The open front makes things some much easier when moving cases from left to right or when seating bullets.

Creeker

dubber123
05-03-2008, 07:51 AM
I've had a couple through the shop and they work fine. I like the C press. The open front makes things some much easier when moving cases from left to right or when seating bullets.

Creeker

I agree, the "C" style press is really easy to use, no reaching around corners. A Spartan was my first press, (already well used), and I still have it. I even bought a second for cheap out of nostalgia I guess.

When I get around to making a bigger bench, I'll mount both of them. They aren't Rockchucker strong, but adequate for 99% of most loading needs.

Pepe Ray
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I've no complaint regarding strength of the Spartan nor the Spar-T, its cousin. I do, however, dislike the angled mounting to bench top. Because of the tolerances necessary in shell holders and case heads, I have been annoyed by the "flopping" of the case and or Boolet, into the edge of the die opening. True, it's not bad with bottleneck ctgs. but 38-55's, 45-70's and handgun ctgs make my blood pressure rise. So I have angled mounting bases to square things up.
Pepe Ray

badgeredd
05-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I just called my friend and he is going to get one he found at a garage sale. I guess it didn't sell right away so he asked them to hold it for a few days. He says it sounds to him like it should do fine for him. He is getting it for $25 which will get him going cheap. Thanks again all.