PDA

View Full Version : Receiver sight on Henry steel Big Boy

Sasquach
03-07-2016, 12:54 PM
I have a Henry steel Big Boy .357 that I would like to put a receiver sight on. I like the looks of the Skinner sight, but can't tell from their web site if the original front sight will work. They sell one that you file down to make it work, but I would prefer a bead. Has anyone put one of these sights on? I have the short barrel.

FergusonTO35
03-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Best to try your original first, then go from there. There is really no universal rule for determining what front sight is going to work best with your rifle, rear sight, and ammo. If you need or want something different Williams, Marble's, and Lyman make a wide variety of fronts at very reasonable prices.

Scharfschuetze
03-08-2016, 08:16 PM
If you are planning to experiment with different weights of boolits at different velocities, then you'll probably want an aperture sight with more flexibility for various zeros than the Skinner sight will give you. With a good sight, you can record the various MOA adjustments for different loads and then return to them as necessary or if you know your trajectory, you can adjust the sight quickly for shooting from 50 yards to as far as you have elevation in the sight.

As and example, here is a Redfield aperture sight on my Model 94 carbine. Each index line on the elevation slide is 3 MOA and one turn on the elevation knob is 3 MOA depending on the sight radius of the weapon. Windage is the same. That makes it very easy to make accurate and repeatable adjustments.

Now if you plan on just shooting one load, then the Skinner sight should be great.

Can't help you with the front sight question without seeing the rifle and your new sight.

Ramjet-SS
03-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Skinner Sights are outstanding and really tough. They have pretty darn good adjustments and if you combine them with a fiber optic front you will be very pleased with that sort of setup. What I did is purchased a front that was two sizes over the standard and one in between. I really like the green fiber optic.

Sasquach
03-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Sharf, I agree, a side mount would be more accurate, but this is a .357 with a 16" barrel. Hardly a target rifle. More of a Gator gun. Center of whistle pig is good enough.
Ramjet, Did you use the barrel mount or the receiver mount? Which of the sights did you end up using? I ordered the barrel mount, but have never used one before. I would rather have had the receiver mount, but do not want the front sight to get too high and catch on everything.

Ramjet-SS
03-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Receiver mount more consistent for me and faster .

FergusonTO35
03-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Don't assume that a side mount receiver sight automatically needs a tall front. All my lever actions do just fine with the factory front or an aftermarket of .400-.500. Does your Henry actually have a 16" tube? I thought all theirs were 20".

Sasquach
03-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Actually 16 1/2. Carbine. The original might work. I just wondered if anyone else had done this and what their outcome had been. Skinner sells a higher front sight that you have to file off to the proper height. It leaves you with a partridge type sight. I prefer a bead. Just trying to take a shortcut and maybe not have to buy two or three to get the proper one.

northmn
03-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Contact Skinner or Henry. Some new Henry's are offered with the Skinner sights.

lightload
03-09-2016, 09:42 PM
I have a Skinner sight on my blue steel .44. It has quite a bit of adjustment. My rifle and the Skinner work well with the Henry factory front sight. I bought a taller Skinner front sight when I ordered the product but did not need it. Skinner sights are not cheap, but they are outstanding in every respect.

Sasquach
03-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Lightload, Did you get the barrel mount or receiver mount? I ordered the barrel mount, but don't know if I will like it. I have shot peep sights all my life, tang and receiver, but never one mounted on the barrel. Will be a new experience.

quilbilly
03-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I got a Skinner for my Mossberg 30/30 lever and found that it worked fine with jacketed using the factory front but not so much with cast (not enough elevation adjustment). I contacted Skinner and they immediately sent an aperture with a longer stem at no charge which solved the issue. Great people. Great service.

lightload
03-16-2016, 12:49 AM
Sasquach, I have the receiver mount. The barrel mount would give up some sight radius distance, and may not be as kind to old eyes(mine)as a receiver mount.

ironhead7544
03-26-2016, 07:51 AM
I had the barrel mount on a different type rifle. I was skeptical but it worked just fine. With my 66 year old eyes it was much better than a standard open sight. I am going to try it on my 1894 Cowboy 44 Mag 24".