PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Lee is getting better

tommag
03-06-2016, 02:36 PM
I bought a 2 cavity Lee 44 200 gr rnfp. It has real alignment pins and sockets, as well as the last one I bought. Now, they've improved the venting. Using 40/1, it casts boolits that measure .431. Looks like they're reacting to all the excellent custom mould makers that have come on the scene lately. While it's no mihec or noe, it's much improved.

Hickok
03-07-2016, 08:52 AM
I like their new molds.

nagantguy
03-07-2016, 09:10 AM
The last 3 new Lee molds I've bought have also been very nice and required very little leementing and dropped pretty uniform round boolits.

longshot1154
03-07-2016, 12:27 PM
I've recently purchased two 6 cav. molds from Lee. .44 and .40. I didn't bother cleaning them. Heated on my hot plate then started casting. Within 5 pours I was getting great boolits. Much better venting than my .45 and .357 molds I purchased a couple years ago.

Mark Daiute
03-07-2016, 11:25 PM
I just got a 515-450, nicely made but the cavities are too big for the mold and it heats up very, very fast. That, and it requires a veryt small stream for the base to fill out.

MT Chambers
03-08-2016, 12:04 AM
It's temporary if at all.

CraigOK
03-08-2016, 12:13 AM
I see that they are significantly cheaper, would they be harder to learn on?

longshot1154
03-08-2016, 06:53 AM
CraigOK, I started with a couple 2 cav. Lee molds then very quickly went to the 6 cav. They were easy for me to learn with and I still use them. Really for what I do, the only way I would go with a different company is if I wanted to cast hollow points.

NC_JEFF
03-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Lee molds can drop very good, I am satisfied with all 4 of mine. All two cavity tumble lube styles. 45 ACP & Colt. 9mm and a 50cal round ball.

flint45
03-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Lee molds are the best deal out there for the money all of mine have cast just fine no real complaints from me first mold I bought was in 1975 I have12 molds from Lee.

CraigOK
03-08-2016, 12:05 PM
CraigOK, I started with a couple 2 cav. Lee molds then very quickly went to the 6 cav. They were easy for me to learn with and I still use them. Really for what I do, the only way I would go with a different company is if I wanted to cast hollow points.
Is it significantly easier to learn on 2 cavity, or could a guy just go straight to 6

slide
03-08-2016, 12:14 PM
I would go with the six cavity. That is where you will wind up anyway. You can pick up casting with the six in no time.

CraigOK
03-08-2016, 01:29 PM
I would go with the six cavity. That is where you will wind up anyway. You can pick up casting with the six in no time.

Good to know, sorry for the hijacK OP, but thank you for starting the thread...I had written Lee off. Think ill get one as a birthday present for myself

RogerDat
03-08-2016, 01:49 PM
My main excuse for ordering molds other than Lee is for odd diameters (think mil-surplus 303 british) Hollow Point or other less common profiles. The less common weights such as a 70 grain .225 for a fast twist .223 load. And in some calibers companies such as NOE have a much larger selection.

Now for WC, SWC, RN, RFN profiles in a common caliber, at a common weight for that caliber I would always make Lee my first place to look. I tumble lube revolver so the TL designs appeal. I'm not 20 years old so a mold does not need to be built like a tank to last a lifetime ;-) So for 38, 45, 44 caliber revolver, and even some 30 cal. rifle they had what I needed at an excellent price and entirely acceptable quality.

Some other stuff such as .223 or .303 Brit or .32 acp I went to NOE because they had the right mold, good price, exceptional quality. I figure Lee is excellent value now that they don't have the horizontal alignment "bars" those molds seemed like they had nothing but problems. I figure NOE is superior quality at a good price point.

The 2 cavity are a great way to go for any revolver or bolt action where you think the Lee mold will be a good choice. Unless you shoot an awful lot it is not that hard to cast up a huge pile of 38's with a 2 cavity mold. If the gun likes it then maybe the 6 cavity is an upgrade of good value. For auto loaders like 9mm or 40's where you are going to burn through ammo the 2 cavity has a good chance of being a waste of money. You will need the 6 cavity to keep up with the higher volume of shooting anyway.

Mostly depends on amount of time you have for casting and amount of shooting to make the 6 cavity double price for 3x productivity a good value. I will say I found 2 cavity easier to cast with, I got to good bullets sooner with several of those more rapidly than I did in the molds with more cavities but those were also different caliber, weight, and profile so not an apple to apple compare.

Denny303
03-08-2016, 02:01 PM
I just started using the new 358 200 fp lee brought out for 35 cals, and I was impressed as well. Ironic, as I had albut given up on lee for any future projects, the new molds are surely a step in the right direction and I have no qualms about buying them again in the future.

robg
03-08-2016, 03:07 PM
My wife got me the new .223 55gr mold for Christmas .cleaned it smoked it started casting .boolits fell out like their supposed to after 2 fills of the mold no rejects .best mold I've got for ease of use.

abunaitoo
03-08-2016, 04:46 PM
I have only one of the new molds. I like the old ones better.
One problem I've noticed with the one I have, is the bottom sometimes will not close all the way.
As I see it, the reason is the alignment pins are only below the handle pivot. This causes the surface to rock up and not close all the way.
If the pins were centered on the handle, or another set of pins were above the handle, I think the problem would be solved.
Also the face surface on my mold was to smooth when I got it. I had to make some vent lines on them.
I's also rather have the old whole block instead of the step block of the new mold.

MakeMineLead
03-08-2016, 04:57 PM

yes, get the 6-Cavity. I clean the blocks completely with spray, disk-brake cleaner. Give them a few minutes to dry, or you can use impressed air to shorten drying time. Assemble the blocks to the handles. As Lee states, smoke the blocks. We shred all our junk mail. I light the shreddings and move the blocks through the flame to not only coat the cavities, but also the top of the blocks and BOTH sides of the Sprue plate. Per Lee's instructions, a tiny dab of bees wax lubes the hinges, etc. Sit the blocks on top of the furnace for several minutes. You'll be turing out perfect boolits in no time.

Good Cheer
03-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Got a new C358-200-RF double cavity to lap out one cavity to 9.3mm.
The mold looks great. Will cast with it soon.

dkf
03-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Got a new 2 cavity round ball mold the other day. Actually drops a little larger than .311". Good mold for the money.

Tim357
03-08-2016, 11:20 PM
I have only one of the new molds. I like the old ones better.
One problem I've noticed with the one I have, is the bottom sometimes will not close all the way.
As I see it, the reason is the alignment pins are only below the handle pivot. This causes the surface to rock up and not close all the way.
If the pins were centered on the handle, or another set of pins were above the handle, I think the problem would be solved.
Also the face surface on my mold was to smooth when I got it. I had to make some vent lines on them.
I's also rather have the old whole block instead of the step block of the new mold.

This pretty much sums up my experience and feeling toward the new molds. They make durn good projectiles, but I really miss the old ones.

Whiterabbit
03-09-2016, 03:55 AM
I see that they are significantly cheaper, would they be harder to learn on?

No. 2cav or 6cav, take your pick.

Ambrose
03-15-2016, 07:00 PM
I found the fit and finish a bit better on my 6 cavs than my 2 cavs, but except for my lemon of a 1oz drivekey, they all worked fine.

rwadley
03-15-2016, 09:30 PM
The most recent Lee molds I bought came with a coupon for several dollars (5?) off a Cast Bullet Association membership.

taco650
03-16-2016, 10:27 PM
I've got three of the new style molds & one of the old. 2/3 work great but the one won't drop the bullets without hitting the hinge nut repeatedly. It's a 358-158 SWCGC. Overall I've had good luck with Lee molds. Mine are all two cavity.