PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tek Powder?

Half Dog
03-05-2016, 10:07 PM
I was getting close to ordering some Hi-Tek for coating when I found out what the shipping cost would be. The nice gentleman recommended the Hi-Tek powder.

Has anyone used the powder?
I'm shooting a 200 grain 45 cal. bullet and I'm wondering how many bullets can be coated with the recommended 3 coats.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-05-2016, 10:43 PM
I have only used the powder. Follow the instructions. Screw up, make mistakes. Re-read the directions, realize your mistakes. Make beautifully coated boolits that work as good as they look.

slide
03-06-2016, 03:46 AM
I have used the powder for about six months now. You can coat a lot of bullets with 20 grams of powder mixed with 100 mils of acetone or mek. Order a small container and give it a try. It will take several trys to get it right or you might be one of those guys that gets it right off the bat. The main thing is to follow the instructions to the letter and make sure your oven temp is right. do not depend on those little oven thermometers from wal-mart. Go to the auto section and buy a didital multi meter and check the temp with it. On pistol bullets I see no need for 3 coats, is plenty. there is plenty of help if you need it. I am not sure on the number of bullets that can be coated. the inventor of the stuff recommends 6 mls to around 200 bullets. So you got 100 mils of acetone and 20 grams of powder. Go ahead and figure 100 mils of coating. 6 mils to 200 bullets. You can do the math from there. It is good stuff and I use it on my handgun bullets. Some guys are experimenting with rifle bullets,I haven't jumped in that pool yet. I think it was designed to be used mainly with pistol bullets.

Ausglock
03-06-2016, 04:02 AM
100mls will coat 3000 9mm bullets.

dikman
03-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Half Dog, the powder is pretty easy to use you just need pure acetone as the solvent/carrier and a squirt bottle to mix it in. I find two coats (preferably thin) is perfectly adequate and this stuff goes a long way. I've also found it's reasonably forgiving with slight variations in application, although as Slide said you want to get the temp right - a little bit over doesn't seem to matter too much, but going under will give problems.

Gremlin460
03-06-2016, 10:50 PM
100mls will coat 3000 9mm bullets.

Or 1500 twice...

475AR
03-07-2016, 12:32 PM
I was getting close to ordering some Hi-Tek for coating when I found out what the shipping cost would be. The nice gentleman recommended the Hi-Tek powder.

Has anyone used the powder?
I'm shooting a 200 grain 45 cal. bullet and I'm wondering how many bullets can be coated with the recommended 3 coats.

I have been using the black hi-tek powder and have been mixing for small batches (less then 500 bullets) I have found that 1.5-2 grams of powder to 60-70 ml of acetone is good to do 3 coats depending. Also do thin coats and they come out great.162917
The pic is the last ones i have done, 41 hp's 3 coats , now got to go shoot them. I will be ordering more HI-Tek powder shortly.