PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895 Guide Gun Price?

plinky56
03-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Hey all, just saw a used, looks new, 1895 Guide Gun, blued with walnut stocks, and just one little scratch on the receiver with a 519$ price tag on it. Gun is a year old. Is this a good price for this gun?

Edward
03-05-2016, 10:27 PM
It is if you don"t have one:bigsmyl2:

Djones
03-05-2016, 10:30 PM
A quick search shows a new one is around $540. If it is like new and you don't have to pay sales tax then it would be an okay deal.

Good luck.

David

2ndAmendmentNut
03-05-2016, 10:46 PM
I would be careful with the new "Remlins." If you have the chance to try before you buy, or at least cycle a few dummies, it might be an okay deal.

TXGunNut
03-06-2016, 01:26 AM
I'd pass and buy a new one or better yet an old one. Chances are good someone dumped this one.

stubert
03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
My thoughts also, Why was it traded? Sort of like buying a used car that only has 6,000 miles. Makes you wonder what the real story is.

Clay M
03-06-2016, 10:29 AM
I'd pass and buy a new one or better yet an old one. Chances are good someone dumped this one.

I think this is sound advice.I have an old blue one made when they first came out. It is ported ,but shoots like a house a fire ,so I keep it.
I also have a stainless gun I bought used for $450 That was about ten years ago .It was like new.

plinky56
03-06-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm on the fence about this one. I need another gun like a ' in the head'. I give myself about 500 large a year for gun/hunting stuff, as a budget, and this would wipe me out. But it looks and shoulders sooooo nice... Maybe i'll offer them 425 and see if they bite, but gun shops usually won't move too much.

Clay M
03-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm on the fence about this one. I need another gun like a ' in the head'. I give myself about 500 large a year for gun/hunting stuff, as a budget, and this would wipe me out. But it looks and shoulders sooooo nice... Maybe i'll offer them 425 and see if they bite, but gun shops usually won't move too much.

I would say take a bore light and look at the bore carefully. Many people complained about rough bores when Remington first tooled up.See if there are any major tool marks.
Check the action for roughness. Inspect the wood to metal fit.
A lot of people dump the .45/70's because they have more recoil than they anticipated.

pietro
03-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Maybe i'll offer them 425 and see if they bite, but gun shops usually won't move too much.

Like the older gal once told me, when I was very young: "You're not doing it right". :bigsmyl2:

The best way to negotiate for a lower price is to:

1) Get the seller emotionally involved, by coon-fingering & vocally admiring whatever.

2) Then, tell the item's OWNER (not some clerk) ONLY that you want to buy the whatever.

3) Then, lay your CASH on the counter, telling the owner "but, this is all I have to spend".

4) Then, keep your mouth firmly SHUT ( Remember - he, who speaks first, loses).

I've waited for what seemed eternity, but was really only a minute or three, for the item owner's response. . [smilie=6:

On a few occasions, I've even had to pick up my cash offer & head for the door - saying "thanks, anyway".

Sometimes, I've been called back to complete the transaction, sometimes not - BUT, what did I have to lose ?

TXGunNut
03-06-2016, 11:18 PM
A lot of people dump the .45/70's because they have more recoil than they anticipated.-Clay M

That's exactly how I picked one up recently; a fairly new Remlin 1895 45-70 had an old steel Weaver scope on it. They would have made it right if it hadn't worked out so I had little to lose. Once I got it home I determined it had about 1.5" of eye relief, not near enough for this rifle. Once I got decent glass in good mounts it shot great. My 35 Rem had see-thru rings on it when I bought it, bet that was painful to shoot.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-09-2016, 04:40 PM
A lot of people dump the .45/70's because they have more recoil than they anticipated.

Very true. I fired a 45-70 T/C Encore barrel 3 times before I decided that light rifle/big bore combo was not for me.

Clay M
03-09-2016, 09:07 PM
I remember I was fourteen when I got my first .45/70. I was a skinny little guy, but very happy to have the rifle.
The only factory rounds available were 405 gr loaded to black powder pressures and velocities.
I can still remember climbing a tree and hunting with the gun. My father was afraid it would kick me out of the tree. Lucky I never saw a deer worth shooting so I never found out.

I was always game to shoot anything.
I remember some hunters had a 10ga double barrel, and ask who wanted to shoot it.
I told them I want to.
I remember the my hat going one way and I the other.
They all got a laugh out of that.

ga41
03-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Well, Clay, seems like we need to get together and shoot my 12" 45-70 Bullberry soon, don't ya think ? ;)

Lead Fred
03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
I got turned off after the word new

Zim
03-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Best excuse so far is "the wife says I have too many".
The response there is you sound like my exwife. And will be if you keep talking like that.

Clay M
03-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Best excuse so far is "the wife says I have too many".
The response there is you sound like my exwife. And will be if you keep talking like that.

My wife doesn't mind too bad. She has an expensive horse hobby, so what can se say.

I may buy a gun this weekend. I doubt it ,but it could happen.
I doubt she will say much.
This year we will have been married 35 years. She never complained, except once when I spent the grocery money to buy a Colt Python.

We just ate sandwiches for a while.

I only buy what I need...:D

I am going into the danger zone tomorrow, so I will offer three hexes and a four leaf clover.
Like an alcoholic in a liquor store.

But .. I will try to be strong and keep a stoic frame of mind.

No guns...no guns.. save your money... no guns...

Oklahoma Rebel
03-11-2016, 05:04 PM
I have a 1 year old 1895 45-70 with 22" barrel. I love it and while a little rough at first, the action has smoothed out nicely. as far as recoil, I am a traditionalist, so I only shoot 405 gr rnfp's at 1350fps for targets and about 100 more fps. the kick was/is surprisingly light, it is more like a shove than a punch, so you just kinda rock a little with it. as far as accuracy it is as good as I am, and after about 500+ rounds estimated, I have had 0 misfires or jams.but like some of the others said, check it good since it was retuned so new. oh yeah, the buttstock where it meets with the tang, has about 1/2 millimeter of a wiggle up and down. I only notice it once in a blue moon but I am a little ocd so when I do notice it drives me crazy, lol. it causes no problems though. Good luck to you! I hope you are happy whatever happens!
Travis