PDA

View Full Version : Match grade 380 ACP pistol project

AP30N
03-05-2016, 09:03 AM
This is not really a cast boolit thing but I guess members here are more likely to appreciate my twisted logic, so I would share it here.

I compete in a discipline called WA1500, which is best described as civilian PPC match. The rules related to the equipment are not very restrictive but here are a few main points

-At least 9mm (well rules says .35)
-At least 3lbs trigger
-Only 6 rounds loaded in the mag
-No optics, no compensator
-No power factor (boolits must exit the back board to score)

The longest distance is 50m so can be done with very light loads, as a matter of fact, many revolvers run at a power factor of around 60.
I am current running my STI target master with a 6 lbs spring, 15lbs main spring and slide lightening cut, even then I could only get it down to a power factor no less than 90. This got me thinking, why not a 380? I can name a few reason for this:

1) smaller case = better consistence with reduced powder charge
2) 380ACP pistols easily cycle loads that are below 80 PF
3) 380ACP works on Blow Back design, no unlocking, fixed barrel = better accuracy

Now the problem is, no one makes a full size 380, the closest thing is the Stechkin in 9x18, but really, has anyone seen one, let alone own one, in legal semi auto only version. So I toyed with the idea of a over size pocket pistol. Something in line of Beretta 87 and PPK sport, but in 380.

CZ85 would have been my choice but I couldn't find one locally (restrictive law regarding smaller pistols), but I did find a Makarov in 380, with a tube welded onto the barrel to make it legally long enough for sport. Paid $400 for it to test the idea. I managed to get the trigger down to 3lbs and modified it to shoot SA only by grinding off the DA notch in the hammer and drill and tapped the trigger for a short reset trigger (and to keep enough spring tension on the disconnector, or the decocker will trip and the hammer so hard that everything is out of aliment. Also installed a weaver base in front of the trigger guard for some additional weight to hang onto. This worked pretty well so I decided to get the pistol done up.

It wasn't until a year later I found a smith who would listen and agree to work on this silly project, things went from just longer barrel with a weight to the what is listed below in the 6 months that followed

-5in barrel with 1:14 twist, ramp cut to feed SWC
-Barrel weight and a weaver under lug
-Oh wait how about a longer barrel weight for longer sight radius?
-Might as well make one with compensator and scope rail for fun
-Sights? lets make a sight rib!
-Magazine pad? nah it will interfere with the heel type mag release, oh wait FAB in Israel just came up with a Makarov with a thrum operated lever that activates the mag catch
-And while I waited, I made up a straight trigger and did a slight mod to the Houge power speed holster to fit

long story short, 6 months (and 100 emails later) I got my pistol back yesterday. :razz:

Here is the long sight rib and the comp

The mostly finished product

The pistol with alloy mag pad and in houge holster ready for action!

I am still not familiar with the 3lb but spongy trigger and the grips so I was wobbling whilst test firing from the barricade (had no access to a rest today), 10 ring group in ISSF rapid fire target from 25 meters, 1.8gr trial boss and 105swc. Surely I can put everything in the X ring when I get used to it.

25 meter off hand wasn't too bad neither, the recoil was very manageable

The groups were shot with the shorted barrel weights, which is as long as the muzzle. The longer barrel weight was not as accurate. The hole ID was over 10mm so I am sure the boolits weren't touching the walls, must be the gas by passing the boolit, making the accuracy poor. I guess I will just keep for longer weight for the MK project (Makarov with 6 in barrel)

Looks like it is alive! ITS ALIVE! Now I just need to get the thing blued. Time to learn to shoot it better (and start another project)

deltaenterprizes
03-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Why don't you just light load a 9mm with 90 gr Boolits? Rock Island makes a nice 1911 Tatical in 9mm for around $500.

kiwi
03-06-2016, 06:36 PM
We have a similar match in New Zealand with an unlimited category, calibre limit is .30 optics and compensators allowed no power factor,
I have been casting 62 grain swc .310" boolits for one of the competitors his pistol is a Walter gsp 32 long converted to 32 A.C.P
the lengths some people will go to get an edge in a sport is getting ridiculous there is no money involved in this sport they just want to win
so bad they will spend serious amounts of cash to do so.

Artful
03-07-2016, 01:29 AM
Nice Build

JHeath
03-07-2016, 02:05 AM
Browning 10/71? Benelli MP3S or some such B76 target variant? I mean, you're waaay down the road now, but those won't work?

AP30N
03-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Actually I do light load in a 5in 1911, got a norinco with slide lightened, Nowlin barrel and light springs. Also a cz75 set up similar. I still can't get down below FP 80. And I like the idea of a fixed barrel.

I haven't seen a FN 1971 nor a B96 in 9mm ultra, they are veryrare in this part of the world.

As for throwing money at projects. Yeah, I probably should spend more time and effort dry firing at home rather than waste money. But doing the project is very rewarding by itself. The pistol was worth $400 but I threw in $2000 on top of it. I already know that I will be lucky if I get $1000 for it if I am to sell my makarov. But considering that I get a 9mm pistol, with decent accuracy and reliably cycles at power factor of 65, comes with 11 mag, 4 x each of hammer, sear, trigger, trigger bar (I ordered enough In case I bugger up the single action mod, but I got It right first go) and 2 x all other spare to last a life time. Along with 4000 brass, complete dillon machine head and a holster. I could think of far worst way to set up for a match under $3000. Beside, this is mine, all mine, the way I want it. Isn't that enough reason? I hope new people at my club don't see this, I have been telling them ecactly the opposite "forget about gadgets, get a basic gun with good barrel and sights, tune the trigger to 3 lbs and learn to shoot the bloody thing!" :p

AP30N
03-07-2016, 10:43 PM
This project is like us developing loads for the webley, when you can just buy and S&w mod 10/ victory for less money and zero drama to feed it. Its just fun. BTW don't tempt me about the 32ACP conversion.... I am looking to get a barrel done up for my Sako triace, with faster twist to stabilize it out 50yards and in 32 Short. At least this project will not be so expensive....

Artful
03-08-2016, 02:55 AM
Oh, by the way you'll want a large volume suppressor due to the blow back nature of your MAK . Otherwise the gas coming from the ejection port will make a lot of noise.

AP30N
03-08-2016, 03:45 AM
Oh, by the way you'll want a large volume suppressor due to the blow back nature of your MAK . Otherwise the gas coming from the ejection port will make a lot of noise.

Why!!!! Why do you have to mention suppressors? I grew up in a country where suppressor was legal without permit, now I live in a place where they are out right banned, along with high cap mag, semi auto rifles and carrying. :( I miss being able to own suppressors :(

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2016, 09:08 AM
I did the totally opposite end of the spectrum one day at a local ppc shoot. (with permission) I showed up with a ruger Alaskan 454 that I had moon clipped. Shot a match with full power 454s. A couple brave souls tried to shoot in line with me but gave up. I usually had a 294 average and still shot a 285 with the Alaskan which still would have been good enough for 6th place that day in the masters revolver class. Crowd sure got a kick out of it.

RG1911
03-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Neat project! I've got a few oddball projects, too. A couple are super-accurizing the M1 Carine and tuning and accurizing the Yugoslavian M57 (Tokarev TT-33) into a carry pistol. I think I documented that one on this site, but now have the fiber-optic front sight made and installed.

My 'smith is getting used to me; he no longer runs and hides when I appear.

Cheers,
Richard

AP30N
03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
I too have thought about doing up a M1 :) when everything was legal. I wanted an M1 with heavy barrel with fast twist, faster sights and open up the gas port do that I can load 160 PF load with 160 gr round nose this is blunt. Just a small pistol powder charge will get it to 1000fps. Perfect puffy gun for practical rifle match AND lots of fun with a can attached. Was busy buying parts required, then I moved to another country.... no more fun :(

Artful
03-09-2016, 01:42 AM
Why!!!! Why do you have to mention suppressors? I grew up in a country where suppressor was legal without permit, now I live in a place where they are out right banned, along with high cap mag, semi auto rifles and carrying. :( I miss being able to own suppressors :(

Could it be because I suppressed my MAK.... maybe it my 1895 Nagant revolver that made me do it...Nah, it because that's where I would have gone next in your build. :redneck:

AP30N
03-09-2016, 03:09 AM
Actually the front 1/2 in of barrel is threaded, we were going to screw the barrel weights on but ended attaching via under-lug instead, which we felt would be more secure.... If it were legal, the barrel would have been suppressor ready..... Now I can only dream of one

One of these days I will have to build a 25ACP rifle with a 30 inch barrel and a fast twist for 60gr boolits and very tiny bit of powder, that should be legally quiet....

jcren
03-09-2016, 03:22 AM
I think a bolt action.380 with about a 20" barrel would be a blast. Heavier 9mm lead and a puff of powder would be pretty sneaky.

AP30N
03-09-2016, 06:17 AM
And 380 will use the same bolt face as a 223 rem..... oooooh heavy barrel with weaver base bolted on.... sneaky scout rifle!

mozeppa
03-09-2016, 08:52 AM
how about a 32 acp carbine?

don't the 32 acp and the .30 m1 use the same bolt face?

RG1911
03-09-2016, 11:14 AM
how about a 32 acp carbine?

don't the 32 acp and the .30 m1 use the same bolt face?
They certainly use the same shell holder.

Richard

RG1911
03-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I too have thought about doing up a M1 :) when everything was legal. I wanted an M1 with heavy barrel with fast twist, faster sights and open up the gas port do that I can load 160 PF load with 160 gr round nose this is blunt. Just a small pistol powder charge will get it to 1000fps. Perfect puffy gun for practical rifle match AND lots of fun with a can attached. Was busy buying parts required, then I moved to another country.... no more fun :(
The current barrel on my project M1 Carbine has a 1-10 twist that I think is too fast, at least with the 110-grain premium bullets I've been testing. I'd like to get a slim profile 1-14 to 1-17 twist that could be turned down to carbine diameter.

I will be testing heavier bullets seated to mag length with small powder charges. I mainly want to see if this will work in my M2 Carbine to slow the cyclic rate. 750 rounds-per-minute empties magazines very quickly.

BTW, putting a can on a carbine is not recommended. I attached mine and the blast from the back pressure generated by the suppressor darn near blew my glasses off. The can works perfectly on bolt action rifles and on the AR platform that completely encloses the bolt. The exposed bolt of the M1 Carbine, however, does absolutely nothing to contain the blast. It was an "interesting" experiment that I shan't repeat.

Cheers,
Richard

AP30N
03-09-2016, 05:59 PM
I had a 22 pistol with a can and shoulder stock. Its worked fine until I put the stock on, I looked like a raccoon after 200 rounds from the powder residue.

Tackleberry41
03-09-2016, 06:25 PM
People may question our intelligence with these sorts of projects. Friend of mine says I only like weird guns. But alot of the guns we take for granted today were because somebody said 'hmmm....'

AP30N
03-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Yip, the "hmmmmmm" has costed me, and many people I know a great deal of time and resources. Lots of anguish too. But I enjoy walking down the path less traveled. Every now and then, it works out too :)

By the way, project update. Tried the "Star Wars Module" (comp and sight rail, now it really looks 70s sci fi gun). I could see the gas getting vented to the top but don't think it worked that well, recoil was somewhat milder but then it is much heavier than the short rib. Accuracy was good but not as good as before, must be the gas interfering with flight path. Anyway, it is just a fun comp, with the sight and the weight, I can now empty the whole mag and hit a pepper popper (not enough powder to knock it over) at 50m under 10 seconds :-P