PDA

View Full Version : Oal 45 acp lswc

John Hill
03-04-2016, 01:36 PM
I have ordered a new 200 gr 45 ACP LSWC from Lee TL452-200-SWC and am looking in the two manuals that I have (Lyman Reloading 49th, and Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th) and do not see any loading specs for my boolit using Bullseye or W231. The OAL for 200 gr LSWC shown is for two Lyman molds, 452460 OAL 1.161 and Lyman 452630 OAL 1.235. I checked Handloads.com and for LSWC I see many shown with OAL all over the board. Does anyone have a different manual that shows load data for my Lee mold?
Thanks
John

mdi
03-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Nope, but a good place to start is the shoulder of the bullet even with, or just a few thousandths out of the case mouth. Start there and use the "Plunk Test" to confirm feeding/chambering...

John Hill
03-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Nope, but a good place to start is the shoulder of the bullet even with, or just a few thousandths out of the case mouth. Start there and use the "Plunk Test" to confirm feeding/chambering...

I was afraid that the long body design on this particular boolit would reduce the case available space and produce too much pressure.
John

Big Boomer
03-04-2016, 01:47 PM
What mdi said ... and, while nobody recommends loads for liability reasons, the old standby load of 4.5 to 4.8 grains of Bullseye would be something to investigate. Be sure to start low and work up until the action functions reliably and accuracy occurs. YMMV. Big Boomer

edadmartin
03-04-2016, 02:35 PM
I started reloading in 2010,a newbe,I culled much good info from this forum!! what I learned could be interesting to others. Different guns shoot better with different loads and specs.Every reloader needs at least 2 sources of data.Everyone knew this except me.after a few years testing different lead boolits. I found that my g 30s hates lswc,many FTF and loves rnfp. My 1911 likes 200gr lswc with a col of 1.260. My glock with kkm barrel so far only shoots well with 200gr lrnfp at 1.220 +-. I only buy from Missouri Bullet. great consistency from batch to batch. I started using Accurite #2 powder for all 45 acp,when powder got hard to find I tried red dot,but have gone back to AA#2. I alway watch the pressure data as well. When I first loaded a batch I started at the bare minimum of grains 4.3 AA#2 very soft load, but no issues. Now im at 5.0gr AA#2,good power for shooting paper medium recoil,rarely get malfunctions. Ive run 5000 rounds give or take since 2010 thru my 1911.never get stove pipes once in a while I get a light primer strike,but attribute that to the remington primers,couldnt find anything else and bought a large supply at the time.My glock powder load is also 5.0 of AA#2 even with the different bullet length,it runs great and its nice to not have to change powder settings.I just bought a new LEE powder drum measure unit so I can develop loads for the 700x powder in 45 colt,got 4 pounds,a life time supply so have to use it.. Im drooling for a Henry lever gun in 45 colt too. Probably sell a shotgun and my taurus m327 to help pay for it.

mdi
03-05-2016, 01:48 PM
It's real common for new reloaders to think/worry "over pressure from deep seated bullets" these days (I don't remember much worry before mebbe 5 years ago when the question became popular). Unless a bullet is jammed 1/2" deeper in the case there is absolutely no reason to worry if "normal" reloading procedures are followed, like begin with starting loads. I once questioned, on a forum full of experts, how much pressure increases with each .010" of bullet seating depth. Could not get a definitive answer. So, yes if the bullet is seated waaaay deep there would, theoretically, be a rise in pressure. How much and if it becomes dangerous seems to be anyone's guess...

Jes an old guys observations backed by 30 years of reloading, and 65 years of logic...

bruce381
03-05-2016, 02:06 PM
I shoot my 200 gr swc at OAL 1.230-1.240

243winxb
03-06-2016, 12:29 PM
If TL diameter is larger than .452" loaded rounds may not chamber with the lead lip above the case mouth in some firearms.

Shiloh
03-06-2016, 08:18 PM
What MDI said about the "Plunk" test.

OAL will be dictated by how the chamber is cut and how long the leade is in the barrel. Don't think it is an issue with the .45 ACP.
Some of the aftermarket barrels for 9mm's and .40's won't allow seating of some boolits. The manufacturers will tweak your barrel if you send then four or five dummy rounds with the barrel. I've never had an issue with the 1911.

The 9mm?? Yes. Won't reliably feed the LEE 105gr. SWC.

SHiloh

Possum Lickaa
03-10-2016, 04:29 PM
I just bought that same mold. Cast and shot about 100 boolits. Did not size them. Tumble Lube. Cast from WW. Added about 1% tin just for kicks. Plenty accurate...no leading. The mold seemed a little picky at first, but I am very new to this, so i am sure a lot of my troubles are of my own making. Reading around this site has helped me quite a bit. I have found it helpful to run my lead a little hot, and my mold on the cooler side but not "wrinkly" cool. FWIW...I am using 4.0gr Bullseye under that bullet. Seated to OAL 1.25. This is the same load and OAL for all 200gr SWCs I have shot through my SA TRP...which is a lot...no issues. Your mileage may vary...