PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a smokeless measure with Pyrodex?

lathesmith
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I have decided to try and load a few Pyrodex loads for my Ruger 45 Colt. I believe I understand I lot of the loading differences-- different lubes, drop tubes, compression, etc. But I am kinda puzzled about one thing; I have always read in the past to NEVER use Black Powder with a smokeless measure. Okay, I get that; but Pyrodex was also INCLUDED in that--don't use a smokeless measure with Pyrodex either, right?
Now, I am reading on the Hodgdon website that "When loading cartridges with Pyrodex or Triple Seven, you may use a powder measure designed for smokeless powders. Learn more."

So, what gives here? Can I use my Lee Perfect measure with Pyrodex (or Triple 7) or not? Any other thoughts on this?
lathesmith

omgb
05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Yes, you can with T7 for sure and Pyrodex maybe. The deal is this, Pryrodex will say no but that's really lawyer talk. Pyrodex is not sesitive to sparks the way BP is nor is it shear sensitive. So, I have no problem using it in modern measures for smokeless.

Irascible
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I use Pyrodex and blackpowder in my plastic hoppers. I don't think either one is a problem. As a matter of fact I saw a test in a magazine where a guy ran sparks through a sheet of paper with black on it that did not explode. I think that is beyond tempting fate though.
What I do is wipe the outside of my plastic hoppers down with a clothes dryer sheet and then rubber band the sheet around the hopper. Take this information as you want and try it at your own risk. I will not be responsible for any injuries, fires, etc.

Black Prince
05-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Roll out a piece of tin foil and wrap it around the outside of the powder hopper to get the shape of it started, then use it to line the inside of the hopper on your powder measure. When you pour in the powder, it will force the tin foil against the side of the hopper and keep it there. Use the measure as you would ordinarily without fear of static problems since you now have an aluminum hopper.

Before any of you boys say that won't work, it has been working for me and others for the last 43 years. You may need more proof that it will work, but after 43 years, I am satisfied that it does.

Seems like some of yawl are looking for boogers where there are none. Voids in your bullets are boogers. Your powder measure ain't! If the buffalo hunters had asked the lawyers about what they did or how they did it, we'd still have them dam indians running around scalping people.

Screw the lawyers and load your ammo. You have a lot more to fear from some dumb assed file clerk working for the IMPERIAL US GOVERNMENT that you do from using black powder or its imitators in any shape, form or fashion.

Yance
05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I use a regular old (Old) Lyman 55 with my Goex.
Lyman was making cast iron powder measures LONG before the advent of smokeless powders and there has yet to be a documented case of static setting off black. It's been tried over and over from as many angles as anyone could imagine.

Use a regular type measure and go with it.

You might, as I have, dedicate one measure specificly to black.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-08-2008, 10:32 PM
My dang old Lyman 55 is so old the instructions listed BP settings! Of course I use it. The only real precaution is to really get it empty and store it where atmospheric moisture will not make a little oxidation to make it sticky in operation.BvT

boommer
05-09-2008, 01:18 AM
This is how simple it is, just no air space between the powder and bullet and so your crimping groove is set in the correct spot also for 45 LC or low volume case you do not have to drop tube your powder and you compress your load or not that depends on what your firearm likes. I use a lyman 55 and lee dippers and cut off cartridge cases for measures. Just remember NO air space , hit crimp groove and dont worry volume in grains or volume this will get you started then go from there!

lathesmith
05-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the input here guys, I appreciate it. It seems that not all that many folks use either BP or Pyrodex these days, and good info is a little scarce sometimes. As I posted under the "Do I need a drop tube with Pyrodex?" subject, I went ahead and used my Lee Perfect measure with Pyrodex in my Ruger 45 Vaquero and got fine results. From what I have been able to read, I am probably wasting my time and effort with the drop tube for the 45 Colt. My next attempt with loading Pyrodex will be with the Lee Auto-Disk, throwing around 2.45 CC of Pyrodex RS. If this works out, then loading Pyro will be just as fast and easy as loading "smokeless" loads. What a blast! Shooting with this stuff (almost) makes me feel like a kid again!
lathesmith

Black Prince
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Ain't it the truth?
I was told that it would also make me rich and handsome, but those boys lied to me!! :)

Nardoo
05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Black Prince,
My eyes aren't what they were but if that is your monicer in the Avatar I would certainly judge you to be a handsome one. And my wife agrees with me.

I know the more I shoot my BP guns the handsomer I feel. It must work.

Nardoo

Black Prince
05-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I know whatcha mean Nardoo. We do look kool shooting these BP rifles doan we? We ain't exactly Tom Selick, but who cares. We close enough.

http://i26.tinypic.com/34ew0ic.jpg