PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Bench Prime is on its way

John Hill
03-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Yesterday I saw that Titan had the long awaited Lee Auto Bench Prime in stock finally. I bought one for $29.98 and it is shipped and on its way. When it arrives, I have a couple hundred 45 ACP to prime and I'll report on how it does. A couple of months ago I posted asking if anyone had used one. I found that no one had one and Lee did not have them ready. A lot of people expressed interest.
I'll let you know.
John
http://www.titanreloading.com/image/cache/data/D2g/90700-600x600.JPG

pressonregardless
03-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Let us know how you like it !!

jmort
03-03-2016, 06:30 PM
I have two coming.

Tatume
03-03-2016, 06:45 PM
I will be especially interested to hear how well the primer feed works. On other flat magazine fed devices I've used the primers bridge at the inlet to the ram, and have to be jiggled and tapped. I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

Does this machine use the standard Lee Auto Prime case holders?

Thanks, Tom

John Hill
03-03-2016, 07:56 PM
I will be especially interested to hear how well the primer feed works. On other flat magazine fed devices I've used the primers bridge at the inlet to the ram, and have to be jiggled and tapped. I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

Does this machine use the standard Lee Auto Prime case holders?

Thanks, Tom

It does use the standard Lee Auto Prime case holders. My hand held unit has the same problem needing tapping to get them to feed. That is why I am interested in this. Apparently, this is a hinged unit and I will just have to see how it does.
John

Shiloh
03-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Let us know if it is solid and well made. I have primed many, many thousands of brass with the original LEE hand primer.

Shiloh

John Hill
03-05-2016, 03:30 PM
My Lee Auto Bench Prime arrived this morning. First I read the instructions (I know, real men don't do that), then I clamped it to a table top to test. I am right handed so I positioned it with the handle to my left and placed the cases with my right. Next time, I will test with the unit reversed to see how that feels.
I really liked the fold up primer tray. It was easy to fill and install on the unit.
The whole thing seems to be well made but with some plastic parts that only time will tell if they are durable.
The main body is cast metal and appears very sturdy.
The metal handle seems perfectly adequate for the job.
The ram works the same as the hand held units.
I loaded 50 cases of 45 ACP and had 2 cases that the handle told me had no primer to load. When I raised the handle all the way up to the rubber bumper, primers loaded properly. If the handle does not raise all the way, it may not cycle.
I had one additional case that no primer would come at all. I removed the case and observed that the feeder tube was full and no amount of manipulating would make a primer advance into the loading cup. I disassembled the unit and re-assembled it and everything worked fine. This one I can't explain.
When I prime some more, I will see how the thing does and report any new developments.
My gut feeling is that if you liked the Lee Hand Prime units with their quirks, you will like this as well. When it works, it is a lot easier. If it feeds as designed after I prime a few hundred cases, I will LOVE it. If not, I'll let you know.
John

jcren
03-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Might look at the primer opening for burrs on the plastic. I had heck with the Lee safty prime press mount for a while. About the time I gave up on it, the small primer started working like a champ. Took the large one apart and deburred and it works well now too.

retread
03-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Mine shipped today for Titan. If I would have jumped a couple of days ago when Grafs had them in stock I could have saved about 7 or 8 bucks. :sad: He who hesitates!
Looking forward to trying it out.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-25-2016, 01:13 AM
The relationship between LEE and TITAN is interesting, to say the least.

I ordered mine thru TITAN, they had them in stock, and my Email the next morning says it shipped that day.
I checked with LEE, they were out of stock, and the nice lady said they had no firm timetable on filling any orders.

there are times I wonder about LEE...

Rich

Paul D. Heppner
03-25-2016, 03:50 PM
I got mine from Titan in about three days. Almost made it thru 100 small pistol primers when the small primer adapter went south. The plastic "accordion" shaped spring on the top broke. Called Lee and got a replacement in two days, wrong adapter. They sent one for the hand primer. Was originally told the small adapter had been redesigned (no more plastic spring). Two days later I have another replacement, same old design with the plastic spring. We'll see how long this one lasts. The device itself is a great idea and is easy to use, until it breaks. However, the plastic spring is a poor design and a poor choice of materials for that application. The large primer adapter doesn't use the plastic spring and looks to be more robust. When it worked it worked very well, giving good "feel" when seating primers. No undo force just a nice smooth push.

jmort
03-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Remove the O-Ring. There is a thread on this.

Mitch
03-25-2016, 04:56 PM
my green bench primer has worked great for many years.just sayin

Paul D. Heppner
03-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Mitch, I did do a search and found that info, but that's not what broke. See attached.

The pencil is indicating the plastic spring that broke. I apologize for the crumby cell phone pic.

OS OK
03-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Mitch, I did do a search and found that info, but that's not what broke. See attached.

The pencil is indicating the plastic spring that broke. I apologize for the crumby cell phone pic.

I wish that those fellas over at Lee would use their own products once and a while…either that…or start offering us 'big discounts' to do their 'R & D'!

retread
03-30-2016, 12:05 AM
I was hopeful this would be a big improvement over other primer tools I have owned and I am glad to say it is. Got mine in yesterday's mail and tried it out on a couple hundred cases. It worked easily and flawlessly. Well built and well worth the money.

rondog
03-30-2016, 05:33 AM
Remove the O-Ring. There is a thread on this.

Thanks for the link.....