PDA

View Full Version : Heaters .357 mag SA revolver what's it worth?

Bmi48219
03-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Dad bought it in the mid 60's, mail order I think. Made in West Germany by Sauer.
very good to excellent condition, less than 750 rounds through it & mostly .38 special wad cutters at that. I probably have 2 or 3 hundred .38 & .357 reloads & some factory loads too. I Remember it was suprisingly accurate. Six or seven inch barrel.
Been wanting a 5906 so I thought I'd sell or trade the old Herters. I actually have a 1968 Herters catalog, think it was listed as " model perfect .357 powermag." I saw an old thread from 2012, they were saying around $300. Anyone have a more recent price experience?

Captain O
03-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Herters, perhaps? The Company brought in quite a bit of Sauer revolvers back in the day. This revolver could only have been mail ordered prior to the prohibition of ordering handguns through the mails. Sauer had a fair reputation but their frames were, if memory serves, die cast metal. Were it mine, I would hold onto it as a memento of bygone days.

Walkingwolf
03-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Get an idea of what it is worth, list it as Vintage, and charge twice as much.

As far as the cast steel frame I would not let that stop me from shooting it. Many handguns are made of cast steel, particularly the budget 1911's. I myself have a Essex frame 1911 for 20 years and it has held up to thousands of rounds. IIRC Rock Island 1911's are cast frames. If you decide to keep it, shoot it. If you are concerned stick to warm 38 spl loads. You should be able to shoot a lifetime of standard pressure 38's.

Bmi48219
03-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Herters is correct regardless what auto spell thinks
thanks

Bmi48219
03-03-2016, 06:27 PM
I kept a mid 60's Colt Officers Model Match 22 lr as a memento, and a mint early Model 12.
I actually took a 365 lb black bear in 1981 with the old Herters. Back then (in Michigan) you could get a bear license for $10.00 without going through the lottery business.

44man
03-05-2016, 03:45 PM
I never had one but heard they are great guns. They had a funny appearance for a SA. Too much European influence!
I would sure shoot it, what is a gun for?
Very few guns are not cast today and Ruger upped the bar with the best steel and some of the strongest guns ever produced. Ruger casts the parts for BFR's. No stronger SA on earth.
For the period, German steel was good.
Long ago when I bought much from Herter's I was always looking for the next few bucks to buy more. I was never disappointed after laughing at the "Jack Pine Savage" stuff. They were wonderful days and the catalog wore out fast. But old George never cheated me.
I wish I knew what the value is today.

MT Gianni
03-06-2016, 01:14 AM
The market for those who remember Herters is dwindling fast, just us old guys left.

Bmi48219
03-06-2016, 02:01 AM
I think the gun cost around $65 new. A lot less than a Ruger or Colt. Not concerned about the quality of the steel, Back then "made in Germany" was a plus.
We ordered a lot from Herters too. I was sorting out my ammo locker today, still have two boxes of their .357 ammo, 139 gr fmj. and some boxes of 7 mm mag ammo. Also a checkering tool with cutters and a couple of the all plastic blue 12 gauge loads. I even bought their "French Canadian Flap Jack & Maple Syrup" kit when I was a kid. My folks kept the box for decades.
Around 1966 I bought a 12 gauge Lee hand Loader 'cause we had tons of paper hulls. We'd sit in the basement hours on end reloading and listening to stories from dad's younger days. Herters "Model Perfect" #57 primers were $4 per 1000 but they had some Italian made ones for $6 so I splurged. We loaded a couple hundred rounds, every other one was a misfire. I wrote a scathing letter to Alcan & they sent me a couple lbs of powder, 100 new Remington plastic shells, wads, primers & shot. They asked for some of the reloads to test. A couple weeks later they sent a letter saying that the primers were faulty! Dad bought their 12 gauge press but sent it back, said it was flimsy.
The flap jacks were good though.
I have a late 60's catalog, have to dig it out & take a stroll down memory lane. Thanks for reminding me 44man.
Vic

Bmi48219
03-06-2016, 02:09 AM
The market for those who remember Herters is dwindling fast, just us old guys left.

I'd prefer to be called "well seasoned" instead of "old" but your'e right.

44man
03-06-2016, 09:34 AM
I still have the Bull Cook Book, kind of worn too. The stories were fun to read. I have used a Herter's knife on every deer I butchered and it is getting narrow but still works.
One of our great members sent me his extra copy of the professional Loading book and I think of him every day with thanks. It is hard to put down and brings back memories.
I still have a large bag of Herter's 12 ga wads, the unsplit ones and they are still good.
My friends and relations always used Herter's magnum decoys and a lot of the duck calls, they really worked.
Things have not been the same.
We are old seasoned but pepper does not even stick to me now! :bigsmyl2: