PDA

View Full Version : Range Report - Ruger LCP - and proud of my wife

Schrag4
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm not completely in my wife's head, but I think she has historically viewed my insistence on carrying, even when at home, to be a bit paranoid. Well, recently she changed her mind because someone down the street had their house broken into during the day, and she works from home and is there alone while the kids are in school and I'm at work. I came home for lunch a few times and found that she had taken to bringing one of the guns with her from room to room. I was most-pleased, to say the least.

I asked about her thoughts on carrying, and she expressed a desire for something considerably smaller - something she could actually carry while wearing yoga pants or the like. I told her she wouldn't enjoy shooting a tiny single-stack 380, but it would probably be the best option for her needs. This all coincided with Ruger's apparent push to unload a bunch of LCPs, so we went down to Cabelas and picked one up. (Actually, we put our name in a couple of weeks ago because they sold out so quickly, but they called us back about a week later to say they had one.) The salesman there was sure to let her know that this gun is not fun to shoot, just like I had already done.

Enough back-story. Last night we were able to make it to the range to try it out. I've only convinced her to go to the range a few times, and this time I decided I was going to set her up for success. I put a B-27 target (silhouette of a person) at 3 yards. She had me shoot it first. The sights are minimal, but seemed adequate so I went for headshots, which were no problem with that gun at that range. Then she shot it. The first shot was good, but the second was pretty low, still a hit but at the bottom of the target. She was doing what she has done in the past, anticipating the recoil. After another round, something beautiful happened: She pulled the trigger, but not far enough, and yanked the gun downward. At that moment, something clicked in her mind. She knew she was anticipating, but I guess experience trumps everything because from that moment on, she stopped anticipating! Her 5-shot groups with that gun went down to fist-sized at 3 yards.

We only shot 50 rounds through the LCP (she shot 30, I shot 20). The gun was, indeed, uncomfortable to shoot, but I had no lasting pain (no sore thumb or fingers, or anything afterward). She said it wasn't as bad as everyone was making it out to be. The trigger is long and a bit heavy, but I didn't find it gritty or anything - it was fine. The sights, like I mentioned, are minimal. They are just black like the rest of the gun, so you have to contrast them against a lighter target if you're going to use them. I'm considering putting a dab of white paint, or something, on the front and rear sights to make them easier to pick up. We had no stoppages of any kind last night, which is a good sign IMO given that it's not broken in at all yet.

Here's the funny thing. The other gun we shot was a Ruger SR9c - we finished up with it. In the past, she had said it had "too much recoil," but after shooting the LCP, she mentioned how soft-shooting the 9mm was. She had anticipated recoil badly with that gun in the past, but last night, she was shooting great! By that time we had moved on to a "Range Skill" target - the one with the colored shapes and 7 "bowling pins" at the bottom. Her last 2 5-shot groups were about 2 and 1.5 inches, respectively, right on the little black square in the middle of each shape she was targeting. I know that's no great feat for many of you at 3 yards, but I'm pretty darn proud of how she shot last night! I'm also thankful that she's finally coming around to taking her personal security very seriously.

-------

TL;DR: Ruger LCP is quite shootable, and my wife made a couple of breakthroughs: 1) she decided to start carrying and 2) she suddenly is giving me a run for my money at the range.

jmort
03-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Good for both of you. Nice post, good read. Two armed people are better than one. I have a couple LC9s Pros and they are fantastic. I have 2 LCR 9mms and one LCR .357, all great guns as well.

tazman
03-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't compare how well I shoot against other people except for target purposes. For the purpose she wants the pistol for, she is way more than adequate. With my self defense guns, all I want to do is keep all the bullets in the 8-9 ring on a full size silhouette. Any better than that is gravy.

Captain O
03-04-2016, 02:40 AM
Good for you both! She needs to practice more often and under "stress fire" situations. This should help her when it comes to the "fecal matter impacting the air motivator". :dung_hits_fan:

Low Budget Shooter
03-04-2016, 03:00 AM
Cool! My wife is good with guns when she shoots, but isn't committed to carrying. Recently, though, she said she wants to get her carry license, so we're making progress.

Artful
03-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Congratulations Schrag4 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?38600-Schrag4)

My wife got her carry license and has picked firearm to go in the expensive purpose built CCW purse (worth every penny) but I can't get her to regularly practice.

scarry scarney
03-04-2016, 01:01 PM
I've been looking at the LCP. I had a AMT Backup in 380, and it would always hurt my hand and I got rid of it. I shoot a LC9 and KelTec P-32 just fine. I like that I can get something as small as the Keltec P-32, but with more umph...

Schrag4
03-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks, guys. On the way back from the range, she even mentioned perhaps shooting IDPA with me. I told her that while the 380 cartridge is not legal for IDPA, the guys running the local match would let her shoot it (I've seen it before). She suggested that she would shoot the SR9c and I would shoot another gun we have, and I said that's fine, or we could even use the same gun (paddle hoster, easy to switch).

I would be beyond thrilled if she would join me, so I better not screw this up!

buck1
03-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Good for you! My wife loves her LCP as well!
I was going to get one but decided on a Kahr 380 cw instead, it felt better to me. BIG mistake ! After 400rds it has become known as "my little malfunction"! I see a LCP in my future!

TXGunNut
03-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Good job, good little gun. It's the gun carry when I can't carry a 1911....sometimes even when I carry my 1911, lol. Pocket doesn't feel right without it.

Lefty Red
03-06-2016, 02:49 AM
The LCPs are good 380s.
The Taurus 738/TCP is another good 380, my friend has one and it is shot weekly and is holding up well as are several others I know of.

I carry the Colt Mustang Pocketlite or XSP. More XSP cause the Pocketlite is so pretty I don't want to scratch it. :)

Isnt Ruger coming out with a larger 380? A 380 on the LC9 frame, LC380 I think?

Also, big fan of Talon Grips on small pistols. They don't add thickness but gives the shooter a securer grip.

Ramjet-SS
03-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I just bought a LC9S and my wife who does carry except at work shoots that gun lights out. I am thoroughly impressed with the accuracy and reliability. Shooting 115 grain Speer she ran groups through that gun that made me jealous and she actually shoots it better than the Glock 42.

Gettin in my wife to carry was simple; I simply told her many years ago that nobody has the right to take her from her children or harm her children. Nuff said she will do what she has to to defend herself or her children.

Black Chrome
03-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Love my LCP at 12-15 feet. Farther than that and its out of its intended range anyway. I recently started reloading for it and that will allow me to shoot it and practice more.

Schrag4
03-07-2016, 10:02 PM
The LCPs are good 380s.
The Taurus 738/TCP is another good 380, my friend has one and it is shot weekly and is holding up well as are several others I know of.

I carry the Colt Mustang Pocketlite or XSP. More XSP cause the Pocketlite is so pretty I don't want to scratch it. :)

Isnt Ruger coming out with a larger 380? A 380 on the LC9 frame, LC380 I think?

Also, big fan of Talon Grips on small pistols. They don't add thickness but gives the shooter a securer grip.

Yes, the LC380, same size as the LC9. Honestly, as weird as it sounds, that gun would be way too big for my wife to carry.

Love my LCP at 12-15 feet. Farther than that and its out of its intended range anyway. I recently started reloading for it and that will allow me to shoot it and practice more.

I reloaded my first 25 rounds of of 380 over the weekend, can't wait to try them out. I picked up dies, a suitable powder, and 250 Berry's projectiles, but I'm really low on brass. I just have the few from our first range session and whatever got mixed in with the 9mm brass that I've accumulated over the last few years. It seems like brass is going to be by far the hardest to find and most expensive component. Still a lot cheaper than 35-40 cents per round for factory range ammo.

lightload
03-09-2016, 12:31 AM
I have two LCPs and replaced the factory recoil spring in both with the heaviest Wolfe offering which I think is 13 lbs.
There is a day and night difference in felt recoil with the result that these guns became much more pleasant to shoot. Reliability with the stronger springs was the same. With Buffalo Bore's 100 grain cast bullet +P ammo, the .380 becomes a better defense proposition. My opinion is that Ruger used a weaker spring so that females shooters could manipulate the slide.