PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

klausg
05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey guys-
I just picked up a new (to me @least) Marlin 1895GS in .45-70. I've already ordered an RCBS 45-405-FN for it along with a couple of sizing dies. My question(s) are:

a) What are your favorite powders? Brian Pearce has a lot of nice things to say about H322 in his article in Handloader No. 248. This is where I thought I would start as that is what I shoot in my .222, (I like being able to use the same powder for more than one application).

b) As this is the first lever gun I've ever loaded for, and also my first foray with the .45-70; is there anything quirky I should know about before I start playing around with it? A "lessons learned" type of thing is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any replies, take care.

-Klaus

Buckshot
05-02-2008, 01:07 AM
.................Loaded up they can hurt you, as you can have the whole left side covered in slobber :-). The little 300 gr Lyman can be a good choice too, especially for loading down. What are you going to do with it mainly?

..................Buckshot

Boomer Mikey
05-02-2008, 01:53 AM
I know you guys in Alaska think big and heavy but I recommend starting with 300 -350 grain boolits and moderate loads until you get comfortable with that Marlin 45-70.

The RCBS 45-300-FN or 45-325-FNU can be driven from 1100 - 2300 fps with a single powder. H4198/IMR4198 can produce accurate loads from mild to full power and would be useful with most of the straight wall calibers as well as many of the bottlewreck ones too.

I'm sizing them to 0.459" - 0.460" and using between 25 and 45 grains of H4198 (not max) with 50/50 NRA lube and WLR primers with no fillers in Remington, Starline, and Winchester cases..

Once you get a feel for the power level you want move on to the heavy artillery... full power loads in the 1885 Marlin are unforgettable but mighty nice if you need them in some of the places you might go to in Alaska.

Boomer :Fire:

NickSS
05-02-2008, 06:30 AM
I will second that thought. I have a guide gun and it will handle loads from something less powerful than a 45 ACP all the way up to a close approximationg of some of the rifles the British used to shoot elephants with at the turn of the last century. A good plinking and deer load would be an RCBS 325 FP over 29 gr of AA 5744 (you can get similar loads with 322). Now if you are going to an area where a Kodiak bear may want to eat you I would load a 400 gr JSP over 54 gr of 4895. That will give you around 1800 fps and a lot of stopping power. For fun in the back yard get some .457 round balls. Lube them in LLA drop 5 gr of red dot in a primed case and push the ball in all the way till it stops. This will shoot very well out to 25 yards and sound like a 22 short going off.

klausg
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Guys-
Thanks much for the replies.

Buckshot- To answer your question, as to primary use I haven't really decided yet. I bought it from a buddy at work who just had his third shoulder surgery and can't shoot his thumpers anymore. So I know the gun's provenance and what it's capable of, (the best group I saw him shoot was with Remington 405 grain factory fodder, 3-shots @ 0.774"). I know that it will spend quite a lot of time in the rifle scabbard on my 4-wheeler this summer, it may go out to the duck blind with me this fall, just in case a moose decides to commit suicide. I will try to limit the amount of drool on the left side.:-D

Mikey- Big & Heavy is always better [smilie=1:

Thanks again for your input, damn now I'm going to have to get another mould!

-Klaus

HCL
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
klausg;
Benchmark, (extreme powder) you wont get those velocity/pressure spikes from a load that is worked up either winter or summer like you will with H322, dont get me wrong H322 works great, but watch them loads you work up in winter and shoot in summer they can change alot up here.
I have been using it for several years now with great results, I am using book min, (according to Hodgdon) with the RCBS 405 and it will give you approx 1950fps out of a GG and very accurate. I use Benchmark in 223, 22-250, 45/70, dont have to worry about the temps, as you know they can change from minute to minute, and change according to elevation and change alot!
It will punish you off the bench for extended periods. Offhand or off the front rack of your wheeler, not an issue. Have not worked up much past that, never saw the need, I know several guys with GG/GS and they all get great results with this load. Great load from squirrels to bears, proven results on them as well.
Only quirk i can think of is make sure you use plenty o lube when you size the brass, that Hornady one shot works really nice, and use heavy crimp.
Have played with the RCBS 500, the verdict is still out, but i think the 405 will do everything i need to do.
Hope this helps.
Mike (just down the road in Palmer)

corvette8n
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I have Ranchdogs .460 420gr two holer mold, havn't worked up any loads other than a plinker load, 10gr of Unique.

WyrTwister
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey guys-
I just picked up a new (to me @least) Marlin 1895GS in .45-70. I've already ordered an RCBS 45-405-FN for it along with a couple of sizing dies. My question(s) are:

a) What are your favorite powders? Brian Pearce has a lot of nice things to say about H322 in his article in Handloader No. 248. This is where I thought I would start as that is what I shoot in my .222, (I like being able to use the same powder for more than one application).

b) As this is the first lever gun I've ever loaded for, and also my first foray with the .45-70; is there anything quirky I should know about before I start playing around with it? A "lessons learned" type of thing is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any replies, take care.

-Klaus

Marlins tend to like big bullets . Measure yours , you may want to shoot yours unsized .

I am using the Lee 405 grain Hollow Base bullet sized to .460"

God bless
Wyr