PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1894 takedown frame extension

setterman
03-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Hello,

I am an occasional poster here and I am looking for a lead on a part for a 1902 manufactured Winchester 1894 T/D. The good news is the rifle has beautifully figured wood and the receiver, crescent butt plate, T/D mag tube are all in good condition. The bad news is someone drilled out the T/D receiver extension to install an old Mauser barrel chambered in .32 Spec. I want to restore the old girl. I am going to rebarrel it with an octagon Winchester barrel, but need to locate a takedown receiver extension. Can anyone steer me in the
right direction?

Thank You
Joe Lander (setterman)

pietro
03-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Your question would most likely receive more/better response if you had posted it in our "gunsmithing" section, but here's my take:

Depending upon your proposed "new" chambering, the first thing that I'd investigate would be the possibly use of the drilled-out takedown joint via the (internal/invisible) installation of a bushing (threaded both inside for the new bbl & outside for the drilled-out size) to adapt the new/octagon bbl to the parts on hand.

Frank46
03-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Try posting on the assra.com forum. While primarily for single shot rifles maybe someone can steer you towards the extension. Frank

John Taylor
03-06-2016, 04:41 PM
At one time I could get one from Winchester but that was many years ago. I believe Winchester still has them but the only way to get it is to send your rifle in and have them install it. The last three I had to make from scratch. You might check with Hunter Restoration or Turnbull Restoration.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-06-2016, 06:53 PM
I wish I could remember where there is an article on how to make one of these, but it doesn't seem that difficult. I agree, though, that bushing the original part is probably feasible, and as well as saving some work, will leave nothing but original parts visible.

setterman
03-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Thank you guys for all the helpful suggestions. I may have to try bushing the old t/d extension if I can not find a replacement.

Setterman