PDA

View Full Version : Swc & rnfp

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I've been using the RCBS 38-150-SWC as my primary 38 Special bullet and I'm very happy with it but I keep hearing good things about round nose flat point bullets.

I know there are a lot of molds available but I'm partial to RCBS & Saeco. Given that restriction, the RCBS version appears to be the 38-158-CM.
The Saeco option appears to be the #358 which is a 158 grain round nose flat point design.

Two questions:
1. Does the RNFP offer any significant advantage over the SWC design?
2. Is there any significant difference between the RCBS and Saeco designs?

tazman
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
The idea around the RNFP designs is that there is no shoulder to deform when going through the forcing cone. When the unsupported shoulder of an SWC hits the forcing cone, there is a small amount of deformation affecting accuracy.
The taper of the RNFP is a closer fit to the shape of the forcing cone and should be better at aligning the boolit with the barrel. This all assumes that the cylinder throats are NOT perfectly aligned with the bore of the barrel.
If your cylinder throats are perfectly aligned with the barrel, your boolits are a tight fit to the throats, and the throats are all the same size, then it doesn't matter what design you use. Accuracy will be indistinguishable among the boolit designs.
In many cases, the alignment is close enough that unless you are a world class shot or are using a very good rest, you will not see much if any difference. I don't know of any really good way to find out without shooting the different designs and seeing what your results are.
In my case, the RNFP designs shoot slightly better than SWC designs in all but 1 of my revolvers. In that one, all designs shoot about the same(good alignment?). However, the SWC designs I use shoot very well in my guns as well.
I can't comment on the specific brands of molds you mentioned as I have not used them. I have been working with Lyman, Lee, and NOE.

Hickok
03-03-2016, 11:07 AM
I realize Lee molds are not on your list, but this is one great boolit in .38/.357, Lee 358-158-RF. Super big meplat. Terminal damage would be greater I would think. It shoots nicely in my revolvers.

Dale53
03-03-2016, 11:38 AM
I have over eighty molds from all of the major suppliers of "commercial" molds and custom molds from Mihec, NOE, LBT, and NEI as well as a number of group buys from Lee. That does NOT make me an "expert" but it does give me a certain perspective.

I can second Hickok's recommendation of the Lee 160 RF. That is now my standard "walking around" bullet for my .38's and .357's. It works quite well for me. My Lee six cavity mold in this design gives me a decent bullet very quickly, too. You might want to take a look at that mold.

I have molds from iron, brass, and aluminum. I appreciate the light weight and good casting qualities of aluminum. It is a bit more fragile but NO mold material is safe from "ham handed" operators. Treat them gently, lube properly, and they are good for tens of thousands of bullets. Treat them badly, and you can ruin them in one session (and that applies to iron and brass, also).

FWIW
Dale53

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm not opposed to aluminum molds but I like iron. It's more of a preference than anything else. The RCBS SWC I'm using is a great bullet and in all likelihood I'll stay with it.